LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Single Pop or Clunk when Coming to Full Stop

Old 04-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #1
Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares
Drunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Retribution
Drunknsloth's Tacoma Gallery
Single Pop or Clunk when Coming to Full Stop

2008 Access Cab Toyota Tacoma SR5 4X4

So I'm not sure if I just didn't notice it before or if it just started recently. I haven't done any hard off roading recently except just a dirt trail that would basically be the equivalent of a bunch of speed bumps and I took it way slow.

I'm getting a single kind of a mix between a "pop" and a "clunk" sound that is coming from what sounds like the center front when I come to a full stop in normal driving. Sometimes there is a faint pop when I am braking maybe around 15 or 20 MPH. But there definitely is one when I come to a full stop. If I coast uphill and start rolling back and brake there is a pop/clunk there too. But if I crawl to a stop with barely any brake pressure I don't hear anything.

This only happens when I have been going forward. I tried it a few times just putting my truck in first and gassed then braked and I would get a pop/clunk. If I was in reverse and gassed then braked it wouldn't do it.

This is blowing my mind. I don't know why it does it only when going forward or rolling backwards down hill but not when reversing. Then the occasional faint pop when braking around 20 MPH...

I've tried searching this and most of what I found was with turning. I had a pop when I was turning at a certain angle going forward and if I put it in reverse right after the pop it would pop again. I just tightened all my LCA camber bolts so hopefully that fixes the problem. I have a Billy + OME 885 lift on the front and everything else is stock. The sway bar does not seem to come close to the coils. Anyone have any insight on this too if the tightening doesn't fix the problem?

Old 04-11-2013, 12:34 PM   #2
Slikk is on a distinguished road

Name: Kevin
Slikk's Tacoma Gallery
Watching... i have the same thing but it always from the rear
Old 04-11-2013, 12:40 PM   #3
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
Is this the same as the brake clunk?

Otherwise I would check your shock bolts and make sure they didn't come loose. Although that would make noise over bumps too.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:42 PM   #4
BDJ is just really niceBDJ is just really niceBDJ is just really niceBDJ is just really niceBDJ is just really nice

Name: Brandon
BDJ's Tacoma Gallery
Slikk, It's Axle wrap, very common on these trucks.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #5
Drunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikk View Post
Watching... i have the same thing but it always from the rear
If it's the rear I almost guarantee it's axle wrap for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman614 View Post
Is this the same as the brake clunk?

Otherwise I would check your shock bolts and make sure they didn't come loose. Although that would make noise over bumps too.
I'm not sure. If it was the brake I would assume that it would happen in reverse too, but it doesn't. I'm going to take off my wheels and check my brakes when I have time (hopefully this weekend). I don't hear anything going over bumps.

If it is the brakes changing out the pads and rotors should fix the problem right?
Old 04-11-2013, 01:17 PM   #6
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunknsloth View Post
If it's the rear I almost guarantee it's axle wrap for you.

I'm not sure. If it was the brake I would assume that it would happen in reverse too, but it doesn't. I'm going to take off my wheels and check my brakes when I have time (hopefully this weekend). I don't hear anything going over bumps.

If it is the brakes changing out the pads and rotors should fix the problem right?
I saw a video, still looking for it, but they said that different brand pads made it stop.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:30 PM   #8
LRGRNR

Here it is! You can click the arrow beside the Screen name and go to the thread that it was posted in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxRacer190 View Post
Mine do the same thing after changing my brake pads. The pads are loose, and can move up and down (or rotate) freely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgyx2lkT5hI

I don't know the remedy, but it's really starting to piss me off.
It's likely that since it just started that it isn't doing in reverse yet.

Sometimes I'll get a noise like this pulling up to a stop light but it's not that often. Even less often I might hear it when backing out of a spot.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:25 PM   #9
Woah! How did that get here?
EFalco50 will become famous soon enoughEFalco50 will become famous soon enough
Name: Ethan
EFalco50's Tacoma Gallery
Mine does that and its a 2012, I figured it was the pads jerkin, some just do that.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:41 PM   #10
08TacoTrD will become famous soon enough
08TacoTrD's Tacoma Gallery
I agree it's most likely axle wrap. Also make sure the u-bolts are snugged down really tight.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:32 PM   #11
LRGRNR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08TacoTrD View Post
I agree it's most likely axle wrap. Also make sure the u-bolts are snugged down really tight.
Theres no leafs up front.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:19 PM   #12
tundrataco is just really nicetundrataco is just really nicetundrataco is just really nicetundrataco is just really nicetundrataco is just really nice

tundrataco's Tacoma Gallery
had the same noise, turned out to be rear u bolts not torqued down correctly on one side!
Old 04-11-2013, 04:37 PM   #13
08TacoTrD will become famous soon enough
08TacoTrD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman614 View Post
Theres no leafs up front.
I drive backwards....
Old 04-11-2013, 07:57 PM   #15
Greytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: dave
Greytacoma1's Tacoma Gallery
Same problem here. You start to here things that you never heard before and don't know where it's coming from. You ask yourself, is that normal? this is what I do, crank up the music and keep on trucking.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:40 PM   #16

Okay so it doesn't sound quite like the video and the sound when I come to a full stop and disappeared for now. I still want to check the brakes when I have the time.

The other problem I stated about the pop while turning is getting louder. It's kind of a loud popping snapping sound that I can slightly feel through the floor board. It's always when I have my wheels turned to the left and it will do it when I am going forward or backward. My wheels aren't in full lock but it seems to always do it at the same angle. I've tried lifting it up and turning the wheels around and seeing if anything is in contact but I can't find anything.

Edit: I've also tightened my LCA camber bolts to 100 lbs/ft but one on the passenger side is seized...