Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Think I found the one...

Old 04-12-2013, 04:43 AM   #21
medusa1066 is just really nicemedusa1066 is just really nicemedusa1066 is just really nicemedusa1066 is just really nice
Name: Jonathan
medusa1066's Tacoma Gallery
That sounds expensive. www.edmunds.com FTW!!!!
Old 04-12-2013, 05:33 AM   #22
birry is on a distinguished road
Name: Billy
birry's Tacoma Gallery
Have any of you actually tried searching for a 2005+ 4x4 double cab Tacoma with TRD and tow package in silver, white, or blue recently?

I don't care what the blue book or edmunds or anyone else says, the market value shows this truck to be a pretty good deal. Like I said, I've found MAYBE 2 or 3 perfect trucks (all of the above criteria with less than 100k miles and under $18k) in my search, and they were all 1,000+ miles away, and they were sold in 2 days.

If I can get this one for close to $17k, it'll be a pretty nice deal. Ideally, yes, I'd love to get one with 70k miles for $16,500 (who wouldn't?), but the reality is the exact configuration of truck that I want just aren't sold very often, and when they are they are either high mileage or around $20k.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:00 AM   #23
Crosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: FMF Corpsman
Crosis's Tacoma Gallery
I got mine NEW for 25k so I cant imagine paying 18k for a truck with 100,000 miles on it. I hope they are commanding those rates because they would be on the same level as a Corvette for resale values.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:19 AM   #24
birry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosis View Post
I got mine NEW for 25k so I cant imagine paying 18k for a truck with 100,000 miles on it. I hope they are commanding those rates because they would be on the same level as a Corvette for resale values.
No way in hell that a new 4x4 double cab with TRD, SR5, and tow package goes for 25k. The market value for a 2012 with that setup is over $30k. It shows you have a 2009 AC. $25k for a 4x4 AC was probably accurate 4 years ago, but prices change, and double cabs usually run more expensive than ACs anyway.

Besides that, I don't have $25k to spend without financing.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:51 AM   #25
Zonktified has a spectacular aura aboutZonktified has a spectacular aura about

Name: Rob
Zonktified's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rival14 View Post
Same here...looked used and when I realized I could get a new 13 for just 2k more than a used 11 or 12 with 20k miles I just went new.
Same here...If you're able to put that much cash down, you could probably get a small loan for a few years (unless your a COMPLETELY against that idea) and then get a NEW truck, with a warrentee, 2yrs maintenance, and KNOW where the truck has been.

I guess it really depends upon your needs/uses/plans for the truck...I would suspect that you've taken all of this into consideration.

...just a thought..
Old 04-12-2013, 07:52 AM   #26
KB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant future
Name: Chad
KB Voodoo's Tacoma Gallery
That's just way too many miles for that kind of money.

Everything is starting to wear out and "get loose" on a truck like that. I just unloaded my '09 with 85K on it, and it was really showing signs of age.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:58 AM   #27
PB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
PB65stang's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by birry View Post
Have any of you actually tried searching for a 2005+ 4x4 double cab Tacoma with TRD and tow package in silver, white, or blue recently?

I don't care what the blue book or edmunds or anyone else says, the market value shows this truck to be a pretty good deal. Like I said, I've found MAYBE 2 or 3 perfect trucks (all of the above criteria with less than 100k miles and under $18k) in my search, and they were all 1,000+ miles away, and they were sold in 2 days.

If I can get this one for close to $17k, it'll be a pretty nice deal. Ideally, yes, I'd love to get one with 70k miles for $16,500 (who wouldn't?), but the reality is the exact configuration of truck that I want just aren't sold very often, and when they are they are either high mileage or around $20k.
I agree with you man. I honestly think you're doing pretty good at $17k. When I flirted with selling my 09 DCSB TRD 4x4, I had a full price offer of $20k within 5 days. Truck had 100k on it at the time. I ended up keeping it, but lets you know reasonable prices for these trucks.

Funny how we get all high and mighty on the resale value of these trucks when we own them, but when someone tries to buy one we try and tell him that the same high resale value we treasure as owners is "too much" for a used truck with 100k miles. The fact is, these things hold value like crazy.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:02 AM   #28
birry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonktified View Post
Same here...If you're able to put that much cash down, you could probably get a small loan for a few years (unless your a COMPLETELY against that idea) and then get a NEW truck, with a warrentee, 2yrs maintenance, and KNOW where the truck has been.

I guess it really depends upon your needs/uses/plans for the truck...I would suspect that you've taken all of this into consideration.

...just a thought..
1. I think I am, actually, completely against adding to my current student loan debt.
2. I have no interest in financing a depreciating asset.

I guess I'm just in the habit of spending money that I don't have, and I'd like to keep it that way. Sure, I'll miss out on brand new cars, but I'm not really sure it matters. Regular maintenance and good driving habits go pretty far, and besides, new cars have issues too. Its not like cars fall apart after 100k. I drove a 1986 4x4 reg cab Toyota for the last 8 years, and it has about 150k miles on it. I'd still trust that truck to drive anywhere, anytime. I figure anything built after 2005 and maintained properly will last a LONG time.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:05 AM   #29
birry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB65stang View Post
I agree with you man. I honestly think you're doing pretty good at $17k. When I flirted with selling my 09 DCSB TRD 4x4, I had a full price offer of $20k within 5 days. Truck had 100k on it at the time. I ended up keeping it, but lets you know reasonable prices for these trucks.

Funny how we get all high and mighty on the resale value of these trucks when we own them, but when someone tries to buy one we try and tell him that the same high resale value we treasure as owners is "too much" for a used truck with 100k miles. The fact is, these things hold value like crazy.
The main issue is that I have about $17k to spend, not $20k, $25k, or $30k. Therefore, I have to buy something with higher mileage. If I could get this truck for $17k or under, I'll be happy.

Sure, I may not have the "peace of mind" that comes with owning a brand new truck, but I wouldn't have any peace of mind if I spent $30k on a freakin' truck, either. I'll spend about $17k as opposed to $40k and be just as happy in the end.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:05 AM   #30
Nola TSS has a spectacular aura aboutNola TSS has a spectacular aura about

Nola TSS's Tacoma Gallery
I am of the minority who never buys used vehicles. I buy new, with warranty. I can't work on them so if parts need to be changed, then I would have to pay someone.
Yes, it is more expensive that way but you really do not know where that truck has been. It could have been through hell and back and cleaned up so you will never know. 100k miles for $17k seems a bit high but I have noticed that Toyota trucks retain their resale value.
Toyota's are usually reliable so you do have that on your side.
With that mileage, as some have said, things will start needing to be changed. What happens if the water pump goes out, alternator, brakes, etc all around the same time? What if the person who owned it didn't change the oil every 5000 miles?
IMO, these are all things you should consider.
Interest rates on student loans are fairly low and if you have a degree to go along with those loans, I would think you have a good job that pays well. With that said, I think I would keep the truck you have and pay down the student loans while saving some money to put towards a new truck in a year or two.
Just my .02.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:10 AM   #31
birry's Tacoma Gallery
Just fyi, this is more typical of what you'll find when searching for lower mileage 2nd gens...

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/3737777152.html
Old 04-12-2013, 08:15 AM   #32
Negative Ghostrider
JdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Josh
JdevTac's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure why people keep suggesting buy new when OP strictly keeps saying he doesn't have the cash to do so and doesn't want to finance.

If I was in your boat the allure of finally finding the right used vehicle would be immense, so if this is the one you truly want, test drive the shit out of it, and get it legit inspected. You don't want an impulse on finally finding the "one" to cloud any judgement. If this is your dream truck, go in there and pretend like it is just any other, don't show the dealer you "have" to have it, or they might bust your balls and not want to budge on price. But to be honest offer a bit low (like someone else said at 16k or so, and see what they can do). Doesn't hurt to offer on the lower end to end up with a better deal, assuming the truck is in proper working order, 100%.

Otherwise if you see any imperfections, bring it up to the dealer so you get that good deal.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:20 AM   #33
Crosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: FMF Corpsman
Crosis's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No way in hell that a new 4x4 double cab with TRD, SR5, and tow package goes for 25k. The market value for a 2012 with that setup is over $30k. It shows you have a 2009 AC. $25k for a 4x4 AC was probably accurate 4 years ago, but prices change, and double cabs usually run more expensive than ACs anyway.

Besides that, I don't have $25k to spend without financing.
Dont tense up dude. I am just saying it doesnt sound like a good deal when its older than my truck, has 10,000 miles on it and is 72% of the new car price I paid for mine. Either our Tacos retain value like almost no other vehicle in the world or its a rip-off. Double cabs are not that much more than an Access Cab.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:25 AM   #34
jlleiber has a spectacular aura aboutjlleiber has a spectacular aura about
Name: Justin
jlleiber's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I already got the Carfax. It showed it lived most of its life in Arkansas before going to auction. Looked like a one owner vehicle that was traded in somewhere. I don't think the 90/100k maintenance has been done, however
I wouldn't let the 90/100k service deter you too much. I am about to perform this all myself for around $100 (rather than the $400-500 the dealer would charge). This forum makes me (a mechanical newb) very confident in my ability to do all the maintenance. This sticky breaks it down nicely

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...000-miles.html

My opinion on the price - I bought a 2009 TRD Sport DC with 72k miles on it for $22k from an owner, which was right at kbb value and the thing was in mint condition. If you can get to around 17k after tax/docs then I'd feel pretty good about that
Old 04-12-2013, 08:35 AM   #35
rickc5 is on a distinguished road

Name: Rick
rickc5's Tacoma Gallery
My only comment is to recommend taking a long test drive before you pull the trigger. That's the only way to see if it needs anything obvious.

We resently bought a 2006 TRD Sport DC 4x4 with 82K miles on it and had to pay $21.5K for it. OTOH, it's in darn nice shape. But, it's not our daily driver--it's for hauling and 4-wheeling, so we don't have to depend on 100% reliability. The rear end was sagging badly, so I did have a local suspension shop rebuild the spring packs and add a fourth leaf--for $400.00.

I can't speak for other parts of the country, but here in western Colorado, a used Double Cab will always command several thousand dollars more than an access cab in identical condition.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:44 AM   #36
KB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant future
Name: Chad
KB Voodoo's Tacoma Gallery
I'd keep looking for one with half the miles.

Buying a truck with 100K on it is like marrying a 70 year old woman
Old 04-12-2013, 08:55 AM   #37
WeberSarge is on a distinguished road
Marines:
Name: Kevin
WeberSarge's Tacoma Gallery
Wow , what the heck is my '08 DCSB TRD SR5 4x4 worth with only 15,400 on the clock ?
Sarge
Old 04-12-2013, 08:57 AM   #38
birry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosis View Post
Dont tense up dude. I am just saying it doesnt sound like a good deal when its older than my truck, has 10,000 miles on it and is 72% of the new car price I paid for mine. Either our Tacos retain value like almost no other vehicle in the world or its a rip-off. Double cabs are not that much more than an Access Cab.
Sorry. Didn't mean to come across that way. If I'm tense, its because the search for such a vehicle in intense!

As to the bolded comment, the value retained by Tacomas is insane. Trust me. I've searched a long time and found VERY few of these exact trucks for less than $20k. The ones that are consistently below $20k have upwards of 150k miles. I've seen multiple Tacomas now with 200k miles going for about $13-15k. No joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JdevTac View Post
Not sure why people keep suggesting buy new when OP strictly keeps saying he doesn't have the cash to do so and doesn't want to finance.

If I was in your boat the allure of finally finding the right used vehicle would be immense, so if this is the one you truly want, test drive the shit out of it, and get it legit inspected. You don't want an impulse on finally finding the "one" to cloud any judgement. If this is your dream truck, go in there and pretend like it is just any other, don't show the dealer you "have" to have it, or they might bust your balls and not want to budge on price. But to be honest offer a bit low (like someone else said at 16k or so, and see what they can do). Doesn't hurt to offer on the lower end to end up with a better deal, assuming the truck is in proper working order, 100%.

Otherwise if you see any imperfections, bring it up to the dealer so you get that good deal.
Very good advice, thanks. This will not be the first used vehicle I've purchased. I'm getting pretty good at negotiating and checking out cars. However, I've never really taken it to a 3rd party mechanic. How much does that cost and how do you know a good one, especially given that I'm not from the immediate area?
Old 04-12-2013, 09:08 AM   #39
birry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nola TSS View Post
I am of the minority who never buys used vehicles. I buy new, with warranty. I can't work on them so if parts need to be changed, then I would have to pay someone.
Yes, it is more expensive that way but you really do not know where that truck has been. It could have been through hell and back and cleaned up so you will never know. 100k miles for $17k seems a bit high but I have noticed that Toyota trucks retain their resale value.
Toyota's are usually reliable so you do have that on your side.
With that mileage, as some have said, things will start needing to be changed. What happens if the water pump goes out, alternator, brakes, etc all around the same time? What if the person who owned it didn't change the oil every 5000 miles?
IMO, these are all things you should consider.
Interest rates on student loans are fairly low and if you have a degree to go along with those loans, I would think you have a good job that pays well. With that said, I think I would keep the truck you have and pay down the student loans while saving some money to put towards a new truck in a year or two.
Just my .02.
I try to do most of the common maintenance myself. I'm not an amazing mechanic, but with the help of a chilton's manual and youtube, I can tackle most of the common items.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:10 AM   #40
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeberSarge View Post
Wow , what the heck is my '08 DCSB TRD SR5 4x4 worth with only 15,400 on the clock ?
Sarge
Now that's worth 20 maybe a little more .