Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Think I found the one...

Old 04-12-2013, 09:11 AM   #41
ZoMbiE aLeRt
choppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
choppersx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by birry View Post
As some of you know, I've posted on here a bunch asking newb questions left and right in an attempt to find the perfect (used) truck.

I've tracked down what I want and FINALLY found one within driving distance of where I live. After searching high and low for about 5 months straight, this could be the weekend I finally drive off in a new (to me) Tacoma.

I found a 2008 double cab 4x4 with 99k miles for just under $18k, and I think I'm going to pull the trigger on it. After searching so long, I've only found about 6 or 8 of the exact setup I want, and they're always either 1,500 miles away or overpriced. This one has about 20k miles more than what I wanted, and is priced a little higher than I want, but I think this is the best combination of price, mileage, year, condition, and location that I'll find.

Thoughts??? Encouraging words? Warnings? Prayers? Anything before I drive 200 miles to go check it out?
Make sure you get a Carfax on this truck before you purchase it. Got to check for its past service or any accidents. History tells it all. Good luck Man
Old 04-12-2013, 09:14 AM   #42
stmcelroy is on a distinguished road

stmcelroy's Tacoma Gallery
One small repair will cost more than the interest(2-5%) on a $10-15k loan.

I've been looking at '10-12 used DCSB 4x4 Off-road's and buying new is only a little bit more than buying a truck with 20-50k miles on it.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:43 AM   #43
PB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
PB65stang's Tacoma Gallery
I really don't think you have anything to worry about getting a truck with 100k miles on it, as long as its in good shape. Again, just speaking from my experience as a higher mileage 2nd gen, especially for just a few years (2009). When I had my truck serviced recently, my mechanic estimated my effective mileage at about 40,000 "normal" miles on things like brakes, fluids, wear and tear, etc. A truck that's got higher miles in a short timeframe has probably been pointed down a highway and just cruised most of its life, and its got tons of life left. Agree on getting it checked out by an independent party, then enjoy it.

$17k is a very fair price for a 2008 TRD 4x4 DCSB with 100k miles if its in good shape.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:01 AM   #44
birry is on a distinguished road
Name: Billy
birry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB65stang View Post
I really don't think you have anything to worry about getting a truck with 100k miles on it, as long as its in good shape. Again, just speaking from my experience as a higher mileage 2nd gen, especially for just a few years (2009). When I had my truck serviced recently, my mechanic estimated my effective mileage at about 40,000 "normal" miles on things like brakes, fluids, wear and tear, etc. A truck that's got higher miles in a short timeframe has probably been pointed down a highway and just cruised most of its life, and its got tons of life left. Agree on getting it checked out by an independent party, then enjoy it.

$17k is a very fair price for a 2008 TRD 4x4 DCSB with 100k miles if its in good shape.
Definitely my thought as well. I guess we'll see once I go check it out. Are there are any pointers on typical wear spots to look for? I know someone mentioned the rear leaf springs. Anything else that's specific to this year that I might want to keep my eyes open for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppersx View Post
Make sure you get a Carfax on this truck before you purchase it. Got to check for its past service or any accidents. History tells it all. Good luck Man
I got the Carfax from the dealership, and the truck *looks* like a one-owner vehicle from the southern part of the US. It was registered in the same place each year, then purchased at auction recently. There aren't any real service records showing up on the Carfax, and that's a little different, but it might be that the previous owner just did all their own work. I'm definitely going to look it over really good.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:21 AM   #45
TOYOTA.. Because barbie drives a jeep..
07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kris
07COMA801's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosis View Post
I got mine NEW for 25k so I cant imagine paying 18k for a truck with 100,000 miles on it. I hope they are commanding those rates because they would be on the same level as a Corvette for resale values.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB65stang View Post
I agree with you man. I honestly think you're doing pretty good at $17k. When I flirted with selling my 09 DCSB TRD 4x4, I had a full price offer of $20k within 5 days. Truck had 100k on it at the time. I ended up keeping it, but lets you know reasonable prices for these trucks.

Funny how we get all high and mighty on the resale value of these trucks when we own them, but when someone tries to buy one we try and tell him that the same high resale value we treasure as owners is "too much" for a used truck with 100k miles. The fact is, these things hold value like crazy.
I actually work at a yota dealer and Tacomas, tundras, and FJs have a very high resell value especially over some corvette's!! even with high mileage they will keep their resell value for a long long time
Old 04-12-2013, 10:25 AM   #46
TOYOTA.. Because barbie drives a jeep..
07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kris
07COMA801's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosis View Post
Dont tense up dude. I am just saying it doesnt sound like a good deal when its older than my truck, has 10,000 miles on it and is 72% of the new car price I paid for mine. Either our Tacos retain value like almost no other vehicle in the world or its a rip-off. Double cabs are not that much more than an Access Cab.
They do hold their value like no other vehicle its a toyota truck
Old 04-12-2013, 11:15 AM   #48
KB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chad
KB Voodoo's Tacoma Gallery
You have no idea what has occurred to that truck over the course of 100K miles.

Personally, I would never spend more than a couple grand on any vehicle with that many miles (and some I wouldn't take for free), but to each his own..
Old 04-12-2013, 11:23 AM   #49
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
I could never spend 18-20k on a vehicle with 100k miles .

me either
Old 04-12-2013, 11:41 AM   #50
KB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chad
KB Voodoo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeesnob View Post
me either
I paid $8K for a 2003 Audi with 100K on it, and even that felt like a lot.

Unless it has impeccable service records, you have no way of knowing how bad it was neglected or abused. All it takes is a catastrophic tranny failure to make you regret that decision.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:55 AM   #51
PB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
PB65stang's Tacoma Gallery
As someone who has never owned a car that I bought with less than 100k before my truck,you can definitely tell if a car has been maintained without service records. You just have to go slow, and examine how the interior and exterior were maintained, etc. I guess it's just how I was raised and taught to buy cars...we have never owned a new car in my family, and none of our used cars have ever had major repairs.

OP, I would look at the frame. There is a growing number of reports of 2nd gen frames rusting away, so if its been in a salty area that could be an issue. Other than that, I'd just check it over like any other used car. Check for leaks, burning oil, hard shifts, etc. I bitch about my truck's quirks a lot, but in all reality these are very solid vehicles.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:03 PM   #52
Skunkman is a jewel in the roughSkunkman is a jewel in the roughSkunkman is a jewel in the rough

Army:
Skunkman's Tacoma Gallery
Just saw this locally on Craigslist, seems like a cheap price,had it listed before as an SR-5 with all power,cruise,etc. and still not moving.

CL > rochester, NY > all for sale / wanted > cars & trucks - by ownerReplyReply to: sw5gb-3714894681@sale.craigslist.org [?]

flag [?] : miscategorized prohibited spam best of
Posted: 2013-04-10, 3:58PM EDT
2009 Toyota Tacoma 4WD 60K miles - $11200 (rochester ny)

2009 Toyota Tacoma with only 60,000 miles. Car runs and drives good.159-hp, 2.7-liter I-4, 5-speed manual asking 11200 or best offer call 585-478-0512 thanks. .
  • it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
Posting ID: 3714894681
Posted: 2013-04-10, 3:58PM EDT
email to a friend
Old 04-12-2013, 01:24 PM   #53
Zonktified has a spectacular aura aboutZonktified has a spectacular aura about

Name: Rob
Zonktified's Tacoma Gallery
Alot of good advice here for you OP, but next time you take the truck for a test drive...do yourself a favor and take a good look underneath to check out the frame for rust and what~not... Hopefully if this IS the truck for you, there isn't a "stinky~finger" underneath it all...

Good luck and keep us posted...pics are appreciated here if you haven't noticed..
Old 04-12-2013, 01:24 PM   #54
birry is on a distinguished road
Name: Billy
birry's Tacoma Gallery
Another fairly typical example,

http://bgky.craigslist.org/cto/3589791154.html
Old 04-12-2013, 01:40 PM   #55
ZoMbiE aLeRt
choppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
choppersx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by birry View Post
Another fairly typical example,

http://bgky.craigslist.org/cto/3589791154.html
Thats how much i payed for mine but mine is a 09 TRD Sport fully loaded 4 door , 4.0L V6 and had 3K miles.

Oh yeah full tank of gas , they said only new cars but i got them to fill it up.