Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Think I found the one...

Old 04-11-2013, 05:13 PM   #1
birry is on a distinguished road
Name: Billy
birry's Tacoma Gallery
Think I found the one...

As some of you know, I've posted on here a bunch asking newb questions left and right in an attempt to find the perfect (used) truck.

I've tracked down what I want and FINALLY found one within driving distance of where I live. After searching high and low for about 5 months straight, this could be the weekend I finally drive off in a new (to me) Tacoma.

I found a 2008 double cab 4x4 with 99k miles for just under $18k, and I think I'm going to pull the trigger on it. After searching so long, I've only found about 6 or 8 of the exact setup I want, and they're always either 1,500 miles away or overpriced. This one has about 20k miles more than what I wanted, and is priced a little higher than I want, but I think this is the best combination of price, mileage, year, condition, and location that I'll find.

Thoughts??? Encouraging words? Warnings? Prayers? Anything before I drive 200 miles to go check it out?
Old 04-11-2013, 05:17 PM   #2
Doomsday will become famous soon enoughDoomsday will become famous soon enough

Doomsday's Tacoma Gallery
When I first went shopping for a Taco, I was having trouble finding a decent price. Anything from 2003-2007, at the time. Tried searching higher mileage for cheaper, still no luck. Finally, just decided to pick up a fairly new one. Only had about 7k miles for $28k.

So yeah, I would say its a good deal. O’yeah, I’m approaching 150k miles too.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:20 PM   #3
birry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsday View Post
When I first went shopping for a Taco, I was having trouble finding a decent price. Anything from 2003-2007, at the time. Tried searching higher mileage for cheaper, still no luck. Finally, just decided to pick up a fairly new one. Only had about 7k miles for $28k.

So yeah, I would say its a good deal. O’yeah, I’m approaching 150k miles too.
I'm paying cash straight up, or I'd look for something over $20k. Its really this delicate balance between how much truck can afford vs how much do I want to pay off student loans.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:24 PM   #4
Manic Mechanic
Hugh Morron is a jewel in the roughHugh Morron is a jewel in the roughHugh Morron is a jewel in the rough

Name: Bill
Hugh Morron's Tacoma Gallery
Good Luck. I hope its what you want and don't forget to try and talk him down a little. Also make sure to check it over carefully. Maybe a carfax would not be out of line just to make sure it wasn't wrecked. Again Good Luck.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:27 PM   #5
Old Fart
Rival14 has a spectacular aura aboutRival14 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Dave, The Lip Ripper Extraordinaire
Rival14's Tacoma Gallery
Same here...looked used and when I realized I could get a new 13 for just 2k more than a used 11 or 12 with 20k miles I just went new.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:28 PM   #6
birry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Morron View Post
Good Luck. I hope its what you want and don't forget to try and talk him down a little. Also make sure to check it over carefully. Maybe a carfax would not be out of line just to make sure it wasn't wrecked. Again Good Luck.
I already got the Carfax. It showed it lived most of its life in Arkansas before going to auction. Looked like a one owner vehicle that was traded in somewhere. I don't think the 90/100k maintenance has been done, however
Old 04-11-2013, 05:29 PM   #7
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
I could never spend 18-20k on a vehicle with 100k miles .
Old 04-11-2013, 05:29 PM   #8
Wild Ginger
BrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BrettBretterson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by birry View Post
I'm paying cash straight up, or I'd look for something over $20k. Its really this delicate balance between how much truck can afford vs how much do I want to pay off student loans.
You're only buying $18k worth of truck so that you can pay off student loans, or are you buying $18k worth of truck and still keeping student loan debt?
Old 04-11-2013, 05:34 PM   #9
Fms is on a distinguished road
Fms's Tacoma Gallery
I saw an 08 base 4x4 regular cab with 61k and all service records for 13k.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:47 PM   #10
oldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EMS:
oldracer's Tacoma Gallery
The One

I have an 08, TRD Off Road; so I can tell you what to look for, if you care. You didn't specify whether, TRD, Sport, Off Road, 4x4, base, or something else.

First, the rear springs are junk. maybe yours will have been replaced or rebuild. Check to see what you have there, and look for broken leafs or any sagging.

The ABS: 08 had ABS; but it is different than the 09-10 ( not sure if it was 09 or 10) when they changed. And subsequently been updated and changed even up to the 13 model year.
You may not notice it, but in Snow Regions, the early ABS is outright dangerous. I believe there was a new post on this just recently.

Anyhow, You would have to experience it to really see what we are talking about. Just search "ABS Problems.

In fact do a search and see what other owners have encountered.

I like my 08, don't get me wrong; they just had some quirks.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:53 PM   #11
DunhamAll is on a distinguished road
Name: Jordan
DunhamAll's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettBretterson View Post
You're only buying $18k worth of truck so that you can pay off student loans, or are you buying $18k worth of truck and still keeping student loan debt?
A good point. Pay off old debt before taking on new. a vehicle, regardless of dinancing or owning, is a new debt. If you can afford to buy a truck cash, best decision financially would be to drive what you have and pay down your current debts with that cash.

Anyway, that price is too high for 100K miles.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:27 PM   #12
Doomsday will become famous soon enoughDoomsday will become famous soon enough

Doomsday's Tacoma Gallery
Oops, just realized its 99k miles and not 20k miles. Yeah, I would reconsider talking down price a bit. Also, condition of vehicle, options, model, etc. to consider.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:34 PM   #13
birry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettBretterson View Post
I've been saving up money for years now, waiting to find a truck to replace my old '86 reg cab 4x4 SR5. I love it, but I need an upgrade. Anyway, I came into a little lump sum recently and figured this might be the only time I have to get a truck that I want.

My wife and I have a pretty sizable amount of student loans that I won't be able to pay off even if I put all of this money toward it at once. Basically, we decided on what lump sum we would like to hit the loans with and that leaves about $17-19k to spend (cash) for a truck.

My student loans are going to take years to pay off regardless. I am paying cash, so we wont be taking on any additional debt to get the truck.

What other options are y'all suggesting? Waiting for a better deal? Looking for a cheaper truck (1st gen)? Or just dumping all this money into student loans?

Just curious....
Old 04-11-2013, 07:36 PM   #14
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Put the cash down and buy. Brand new sr5 v6 4x4
Old 04-11-2013, 07:47 PM   #16
birry's Tacoma Gallery
Dealer just sent me an initial mark-down after I spoke with him on the phone earlier. Sent me an email offer of $17,500. Wondering if I can talk him down closer to $17k....that would be closer to a good deal, I think.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:47 AM   #19
DunhamAll is on a distinguished road
Name: Jordan
DunhamAll's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greytacoma1 View Post
You should tell him 16k then he might drop it down to 17k. Trust me they got the truck a lot cheaper then you think. Have you tried by owner?
I think paying 16500 (including Tax and Titile) is about right.

In any conversation you have with the dealer refer to the mileage as 100k, not 99. He will get the point.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:16 AM   #20
birry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Don't get robb on your interest rate as well, other than that sounds right on the price
I'm not financing it, so there will be no interest rate :-)

Quote:
You should tell him 16k then he might drop it down to 17k. Trust me they got the truck a lot cheaper then you think. Have you tried by owner?
Good call. I'd like to get it under $17k if I can. I've searched the entire country and found about 3 by owner that would save me maybe $500-1000, but then factor in the travel time and costs, and that price gap basically disappears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunhamAll View Post
I think paying 16500 (including Tax and Titile) is about right.

In any conversation you have with the dealer refer to the mileage as 100k, not 99. He will get the point.
Very good point. I'm also going to push that the 90/100k maintenance will have to be done and see if there are any other points I can use. After talking with him yesterday, he knows Tacomas and he knows the Tacoma market. Hopefully we can arrive at a fair deal. Otherwise, I'll be back on the nationwide hunt...