Notices

Increasing MPG

Old 02-16-2009, 04:03 PM   #1
Big Member
FLATaco06 is on a distinguished road

Name: Ben
FLATaco06's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation Increasing MPG

I am looking for the best options to increase my fuel economy on my 06 DC 4x4. I have looked at K&N intakes, exhaust, headers, etc. Anyone that knows if there are certain products out there that actually help MPG, please let me know! I also just looked at www.unichip.us The system they have is almost $800, but does anyone know if it's worth it? All opinions are welcome, thanks.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:12 PM   #3
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
^^
what he said. Also check out ecomodder.com for some tips, etc. Helped me with my DD gas mileage...

(Note: I didn't do any of that hypermilling bullshit...)
Old 02-16-2009, 07:07 PM   #6
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunesDoesTRD View Post
Because it's GAY!!
Definitely.

To the OP, all of those mods won't do much to increase your MPG. You MIGHT pick up 1mpg TOTAL and it will take quite a while to recoup the money you spent.

Get yourself a Scanguage for $160, do all the basic stuff (remove excess weight, tire inflation, change air filter regularly, etc.), and lighten up that right foot.

The bottom line is, and this isn't meant to be rude but just a blunt fact, you should've thought about it before you bought it because we don't buy trucks for the gas mileage.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:10 PM   #7
tdm156 is a jewel in the roughtdm156 is a jewel in the roughtdm156 is a jewel in the roughtdm156 is a jewel in the rough

tdm156's Tacoma Gallery
++++ for scanguage
Old 02-16-2009, 07:55 PM   #8
TacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to behold

Name: Justin
TacoTycoon's Tacoma Gallery
yeah scanguage can definitely help with your mpg because you can monitor how your driving is affecting your consumption. I used to get 15-17 city all the time in my V6 Double Cab Long Bed 4WD and after the SG my highest so far is 21.8 all city consistently getting 18.6-20.2 all city (summer numbers)
Old 02-17-2009, 05:01 AM   #9
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Arms Instructor, HQ Detachment, RING
Roland's Tacoma Gallery
Yup. Scanguage and just keeping the truck properly maintained are your best bet for miles per $ spent.

old guy tip: If you don't go offroad. Next time you need tires buy passenger tires instead of truck tires. They have less rolling resistance, perform better on pavement and wear longer.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:25 AM   #10
Understand the Voice Within
91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
91r100gs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland View Post
Yup. Scanguage and just keeping the truck properly maintained are your best bet for miles per $ spent.

old guy tip: If you don't go offroad. Next time you need tires buy passanger tires instead of truck tires. They have less rolling resistance, perform better on pavement and wear longer.
+1 on what Roland said about tires. The rolling resistance difference can make up to a 10% difference in your mileage. On my 05 Accord I replaced the 15" OEM tires with 17" 50 series tires and my mileage went from 30.5 to around 27 MPG. When petrol was expensive last year the swap was costing me an extra $15 to $20 a month. But damn those wheels looked great on the Accord.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:46 AM   #11
lasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant future
Navy: Lead PO Submarine Reactor Control Dvision
lasllc's Tacoma Gallery
MPG is like chasing ghosts; it is pretty tough.
Remember, performance and MPG are not generally sleeping together.

I think the best options (unless you just like to spend money) are to:

1. stop taking it to 4 grand as a shift point.
2. get a scan guage and display
a. MPG
b. Ave MPG (you need to set up the display for this)
c. and TPS (throttle position)
d. use Premium gas.

I consistantly get 20.5 to 22.0 in town driving with a 4 L and 6 Sd; and Idont drive like an old fogy, enven though I probably am.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:30 AM   #12
Billy Reuben
Punisher has a spectacular aura aboutPunisher has a spectacular aura about
Punisher's Tacoma Gallery
I see this a lot about premium gas = better mpg.

Could you please give a mathematical example how this is more efficient (in an economic sense). What I mean is, if you get better gas mileage with premium, how does the cost per mile compare given that you are paying more? If I get better mileage (like 2 more miles per gallon etc, and I am not saying this happens), but pay more in first place. Like to see a good example layed out that's all.

Thanks
Old 02-17-2009, 07:31 AM   #13
sweater914 will become famous soon enough
sweater914's Tacoma Gallery
One more thing about wheels and tires. If you purchase new wheels find out how much they weigh, the lighter the better. You'll find out quickly that lower weight for a given size will cost more. At the very least get a wheel that at least equilvant(sp) in weight to stock to maintain your mileage. Sometimes bigger isn't always better

Lowering the wheel/tire combination weight will lower the unsprung weight which will help the stock suspension do a more effective job.

www.tirerack.com is a valuable website to compare aftermarket wheel and tire weights, and good service

You'll be shocked at how heavy a 16x8 wheel/tire combo weighs, x4 and it's easy to shred 20lbs of rolling mass.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:07 AM   #14
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher View Post
I see this a lot about premium gas = better mpg.

Could you please give a mathematical example how this is more efficient (in an economic sense). What I mean is, if you get better gas mileage with premium, how does the cost per mile compare given that you are paying more? If I get better mileage (like 2 more miles per gallon etc, and I am not saying this happens), but pay more in first place. Like to see a good example layed out that's all.

Thanks
Read this thread:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...e-premium.html
Old 02-17-2009, 11:44 AM   #15
09 but I drive a 012 Expedition...
tacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff...I'm pretty sure
tacoholic's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tacoholic
More torque + bigger engine = no need for high RPMs

Remember the redline is not a goal line.

I get 12 city (that's like amazing and unheard of) in the Expedition because I keep it under 2K RPM when driving around and use a really light foot. Screw everyone else!
Old 02-17-2009, 01:04 PM   #16
ldm is on a distinguished road

Air Force: C-141 Flight Engineer, Msgt.,Retired
ldm's Tacoma Gallery
Like the rest I vote to get yourself a ScanGauge. It will teach you how to drive your truck for fuel economy. But also it does so much more. One biggie is if you get a "check engine" light it will give the error code for the problem.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:06 PM   #17
Big Member
FLATaco06 is on a distinguished road

Name: Ben
FLATaco06's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks everyone for the advice! I am looking into the Scangauge right now. Does anyone know if the Unichip programmer I mentioned above it worth anything? Their claims about hp/torque gain are quite unbelieveable. Thanks to all again.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:32 PM   #20
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
Scan Gauge or vacuum gauge, driving by a vacuum guage will most likely give you the same results as a Scan Gauge and save ya about a $100. Granted it won't tell ya codes, and how many miles till you run out of gas but WTF!