Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How bad is the hit going to be?

Old 04-11-2013, 08:07 PM   #1
prisonbound is on a distinguished road
Name: Pete
prisonbound's Tacoma Gallery
How bad is the hit going to be?

Does anyone have any idea how bad of a hit I would take trading in my 2 month old '13 TRD Sport? I've been given a project at work that will require significant driving and the gas $$ will be a killer! I'm kind of in an f-ed up spot.

Pete
Old 04-11-2013, 08:09 PM   #2
Socal Tacoma
boopie is on a distinguished road

Navy:
Name: Ramon
boopie's Tacoma Gallery
You gonna trade it in for a prius??
Old 04-11-2013, 08:13 PM   #3
BDS'd
RadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant future

Name: NEIL
RadTaco914's Tacoma Gallery
I hate to say it but, not good..once you drive a new vehicle off the lot
I believe you lose something like 13% of its value immediately..I've been down that road before. Thus is why im driving my taco till its dead. I would consider anything not to trade it..They may work with you since its only a few months old..
Old 04-11-2013, 08:15 PM   #4
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
I'm just guessing, but maybe somewhere between the 2,000 to 4,000 dollar range.

That really sucks. I'm assuming you employer won't pay for gas, huh?
Old 04-11-2013, 08:23 PM   #5
www.BeLikeBrit.org
fletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
fletch aka's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by prisonbound View Post
Does anyone have any idea how bad of a hit I would take trading in my 2 month old '13 TRD Sport? I've been given a project at work that will require significant driving and the gas $$ will be a killer! I'm kind of in an f-ed up spot.

Pete
Work related and they're not going to pick up the tab for gas; don't sound fair?
Old 04-11-2013, 08:25 PM   #6
Plenty of slaves for my robot colony?
moondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
moondeath's Tacoma Gallery
Where do you work that they require you to pay for gas? Selling it privately is your best bet. You won't get near what you need for a trade.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:25 PM   #7
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEVON911 View Post
I'm just guessing, but maybe somewhere between the 2,000 to 4,000 dollar range.

That really sucks. I'm assuming you employer won't pay for gas, huh?
Just tax and license was probably right around $3000
Old 04-11-2013, 08:29 PM   #8
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
after tax, title. and all the other fees stuff..you will take a big hit.

i did this same thing. brand new mazdaspeed3..took almost $6k in the shorts..i kept the car 6 months. i dont feel real smart or good about the decision.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:31 PM   #9
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Is op getting 15mpg?
Old 04-11-2013, 08:46 PM   #10
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Pete
imo

you will take about a 5% hit from the msrp...plus the sales tax, tag and any other expenses attached to the sale. if you got a sizeable discount off the msrp, you may be looking at a number that's not too tough to swallow.

be glad it's not a domestic truck...it would be 15-20% plus those expenses.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:03 PM   #11
prisonbound is on a distinguished road
Name: Pete
prisonbound's Tacoma Gallery
I get a vehicle allowance but they don't cover fuel. Won't the sales tax be a wash since I won't be required to pay it on the value of the trade (ie if I got $25k on a trade on a vehicle I was paying 35k for I would only be subjected to the sales tax on the 10k difference)? I guess I'll give a shot and see what they say ... I can always walk away if it's obscene. Besides, my new wet okole seat covers are due to be delivered next week (another potential punch to the face if I get rid of it).
Old 04-11-2013, 09:11 PM   #12
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I get a vehicle allowance but they don't cover fuel. Won't the sales tax be a wash since I won't be required to pay it on the value of the trade (ie if I got $25k on a trade on a vehicle I was paying 35k for I would only be subjected to the sales tax on the 10k difference)? I guess I'll give a shot and see what they say ... I can always walk away if it's obscene. Besides, my new wet okole seat covers are due to be delivered next week (another potential punch to the face if I get rid of it).
yes...in most states you only pay sales tax on the differance. but that's on the new vehicle...

you already paid sales tax on the Tacoma (maybe you had a trade there as well?), but whatever you paid...that expense is gone.

and you can always sell the seat covers here and get most of your money back.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:28 PM   #13
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Do the math before deciding on a more fuel-efficient vehicle. How many miles of driving will the project require? Going from a V6 Taco to a Prius will cut your fuel costs by 57%. If this project of yours requires 6000 miles of driving, assuming $3.70/gal, going to a Prius will save you just $600.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:39 PM   #14
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
The $3,000.00 hit trading the 2013 Tacoma will buy a lot of gas (price difference only).
Old 04-11-2013, 09:39 PM   #15
offroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to behold

Air Force:
Name: Jared
offroadwonder's Tacoma Gallery
In my opinion, you would be wise to stick with what you have. Lets do the math. I don't know the details of your new commute, so I will just throw out some numbers. I will assume maintenance is a negligible difference.

If you drive 100 miles per day, 5 days per week, for 50 weeks per year, and fuel costs $4 per gallon...

Tacoma:
20 mpg hwy
5 gal per day
~$5,000 per year

Economy Car:
30 mpg hwy
3.33 gal per day
~$3,333 per year

That is only a difference of $1667 per year. You would need to still be working that same project for almost three years to break even on a $5k loss (you'll lose more than that). Chances are the 100 miles per day for that many days per year is also an overestimation, which prolongs the break-even farther.

Suck it up, just buy the gas.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:43 PM   #16
Goflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Goflight2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOSHeloPilot View Post
The $3,000.00 hit trading the 2013 Tacoma will buy a lot of gas price differences.
^^^^^This.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:44 PM   #17
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadwonder View Post
In my opinion, you would be wise to stick with what you have. Lets do the math. I don't know the details of your new commute, so I will just throw out some numbers. I will assume maintenance is a negligible difference.

If you drive 100 miles per day, 5 days per week, for 50 weeks per year, and fuel costs $4 per gallon...

Tacoma:
20 mpg hwy
5 gal per day
~$5,000 per year

Economy Car:
30 mpg hwy
3.33 gal per day
~$3,333 per year

That is only a difference of $1667 per year. You would need to still be working that same project for almost three years to break even on a $5k loss (you'll lose more than that). Chances are the 100 miles per day for that many days per year is also an overestimation, which prolongs the break-even farther.

Suck it up, just buy the gas.
This guy makes a good point. Those air force guys are smart. Stick with your rig, you got wet okoles on the way anyway
Old 04-11-2013, 09:48 PM   #18
SpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SpeedoJosh's Tacoma Gallery
Depends on what you paid for it new. Seems like a lot of peeps here have overpaid. I see 2011-2013 for sale on here all the time at an asking price of what I could get one for new. Even still people comment saying it's a good price.

If you impulse bought, then you're probably going to take a bigger hit then someone who shopped around and haggled with a dealer.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:51 PM   #19
rtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
rtn1911's Tacoma Gallery
Agree with Helo and Wonder.

Do the math; you can easily figure out how long it will take to break even.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:58 PM   #20
offroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to behold

Air Force:
Name: Jared
offroadwonder's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedoJosh View Post
Depends on what you paid for it new. Seems like a lot of peeps here have overpaid. I see 2011-2013 for sale on here all the time at an asking price of what I could get one for new. Even still people comment saying it's a good price.

If you impulse bought, then you're probably going to take a bigger hit then someone who shopped around and haggled with a dealer.
He asked about trade-in. Selling private party is a whole other ball game. Of course then you have to add sales tax back in to the equation. Most states don't have a way to work a prior private sale into the sale of a new vehicle.