Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Is there a Tailgate Lock for a 2013 PreRunner that works?!?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-11-2013, 09:36 PM   #1
J WARD is on a distinguished road
J WARD's Tacoma Gallery
Is there a Tailgate Lock for a 2013 PreRunner that works?!?

Having a helluva time trying to secure the tailgate on my new 2013 SR5 PreRunner (with the backup camera). Bought the Masterlock8253DAT

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-82...erlock+8253DAT

and it's a joke, the lock doesn't tighten enough and the tailgate slips right out. Same with the Bully Lock LH090 based on a review from a Toyota owner.

http://www.amazon.com/Bully-LH090-Ta...or+2013+tacoma

Even made a trip to Walmart today looking for (based on a thread from 2009) an E-Z Hose Clamp with no luck, can't seem to find it anywhere on the web as well.

Tommorrow is a trip to check out a SnugTop Tonneau cover and hopefully (and expensively) that will be the solution. With a neighbor who recently had her tailgate jacked, and no recent threads on securing the tailgate I would be very interested as to any solutions out there that actually work. Any and all replies would be greatly appreciated. Thanx

P.S. I think it's a shame for the price you pay for a new Tacoma you have to worry about your tailgate as well as the spare being ripped off so easily, and a lock on the gas, is that too much to ask?
Old 04-11-2013, 09:38 PM   #3
Xer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of light

Army: veterans affairs
Xer0 SiN's Tacoma Gallery
i got the pop n lock and it worked for me. i even put the hose clamp on for the brief period i had to wait for shipping to come in.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:41 PM   #4
Small and Tall
tacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Drew
tacobell007's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tacobell007
Pop-n-lock and I think they make one to work with the back up camera... My dad has one on his truck to keep his tri-fold tonneau cover from getting stolen. He learned the hard way to keep it locked all the time
Old 04-11-2013, 10:17 PM   #5
Tac012 is on a distinguished road
Tac012's Tacoma Gallery
zip ties works fine too
Old 04-11-2013, 10:26 PM   #6
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullaculla View Post
pop n lock.
X2

My dad just put one on his 2013, it turned out great, does the job.

In the meantime, just put a regular hose clamp on it. Position the screw head so it's a bit of a pain to get to, and call it a day. It's a deterrant, not a sure thing.

I have a regular hose clamp that I had to tighten with an open end wrench in an awkward spot. I also have a campershell, and keep it locked, but rarely anything of value locked in the back. So far I have not found the money/time to put a popnlock on mine. It will happen eventually.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:49 PM   #7
GTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jim
GTOJim's Tacoma Gallery
Pop n Lock on my 2013 with backup camera
Old 04-12-2013, 06:19 AM   #9
Motorshooter
Motorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of light

Navy: IC2 SS
Motorshooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullaculla View Post
pop n lock.
X2
Old 04-12-2013, 06:28 AM   #10
Tcomaboy is on a distinguished road
Name: BakFlip customer service SUCKS
Tcomaboy's Tacoma Gallery
I have the hose clamp mod, the pop and lock ( I have a backup camera), and I have a Bakflip....... As well as a glock ready..... My tailgate is pretty secure.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:41 AM   #11
tacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud of

tacomalimited's Tacoma Gallery
I have a fold a cover on mine, the cover locks itself to the tailgate,I also have the hoseclamp on, although I don't really need it since my cover locks the tailgate, but, it's extra protection.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:50 AM   #12
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by J WARD View Post
Having a helluva time trying to secure the tailgate on my new 2013 SR5 PreRunner (with the backup camera). Bought the Masterlock8253DAT

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-82...erlock+8253DAT

and it's a joke, the lock doesn't tighten enough and the tailgate slips right out. Same with the Bully Lock LH090 based on a review from a Toyota owner.

http://www.amazon.com/Bully-LH090-Ta...or+2013+tacoma

Even made a trip to Walmart today looking for (based on a thread from 2009) an E-Z Hose Clamp with no luck, can't seem to find it anywhere on the web as well.

Tommorrow is a trip to check out a SnugTop Tonneau cover and hopefully (and expensively) that will be the solution. With a neighbor who recently had her tailgate jacked, and no recent threads on securing the tailgate I would be very interested as to any solutions out there that actually work. Any and all replies would be greatly appreciated. Thanx

P.S. I think it's a shame for the price you pay for a new Tacoma you have to worry about your tailgate as well as the spare being ripped off so easily, and a lock on the gas, is that too much to ask?
funny

the product description on the first one you listed specifically says
does NOT fit Tacoma. must have missed that
Old 04-12-2013, 10:07 AM   #13
Partzguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedPartzguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedPartzguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedPartzguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedPartzguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedPartzguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedPartzguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedPartzguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedPartzguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedPartzguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedPartzguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Don
Partzguy's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-242-t...protector.aspx[/QUOTE]

I have this one! It's very well made, and looks like it was factory installed!

And it's much more substantial than a hose clamp.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:41 AM   #14
mcdee is a jewel in the roughmcdee is a jewel in the roughmcdee is a jewel in the rough
Name: mike
mcdee's Tacoma Gallery
I just received/installed the gate protector yesterday, previuously had masterlock which was later found not to work on 2012 Tacomas but they refunded my money. Gate protector is from jimmiejammer and looks to be the same as the one from tuffy-I bought that one as price was less.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:47 AM   #15
RogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant future

Air Force: Aircraft Armament Tech
Name: Rod
RogueLeader's Tacoma Gallery
This is the lock I use. It's a Bully Tailgate Lock

Old 04-12-2013, 03:26 PM   #16
J WARD is on a distinguished road
J WARD's Tacoma Gallery
Tailgate lock update

First off, Thanx so much for all replies, greatly appreciated. Just to clarify the Master Lock I purchased was from etrailer.com and not Amazon (shoulda checked there first) and once I did the disclaimer that it doesn't work on the 2013 was printed there plain as day. The Bully lock doesn't seem to work either. With the clamp I was googling "E-Z Clamp, a regular clamp you can buy anywhere would be just as easy to take off with screwdriver as it was to put it on. The clamp in question I come to find out is a Koehler E-Z clamp that Autozone carries, how easy it is to get off is something to look into. The Tuffy tailgate protector supposedly secures with a Torx allen wrench. ( which thieves nowadays carry as per threads) It looks good, for around $40.00 the only thing I can think to do is to have a buddy spot weld where the wrench goes maybe after install for I don't really ever seeing myself taking the tailgate off. . . ever. (never did with my last two toyota Pickups.)

The POP & LOCK . . . . definitely the way to go, that along with a Tonneau cover seems to be the most secure option.

Made an appointment to have a Snugtop TC installed tomorrow. $839.00 plus $49.00 for the carpet and $49.00 to install it. Will be sure to shot it up and upload the pics.

Again, really appreciate the time taken to offer advice and direction. After tomorrow I can now move on to securing the spare tire, any thoughts on the "Winchlock spare tire saver" . . . looks good providing the "U" bracket can be bolted to the frame, the site looks a little bootleg, will have to make a call . . . was just wondering what you guys thought of it.
http://motivelocks.tripod.com/
Old 10-04-2013, 05:23 PM   #17
tonytsai0429 is on a distinguished road

tonytsai0429's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by J WARD View Post
First off, Thanx so much for all replies, greatly appreciated. Just to clarify the Master Lock I purchased was from etrailer.com and not Amazon (shoulda checked there first) and once I did the disclaimer that it doesn't work on the 2013 was printed there plain as day. The Bully lock doesn't seem to work either. With the clamp I was googling "E-Z Clamp, a regular clamp you can buy anywhere would be just as easy to take off with screwdriver as it was to put it on. The clamp in question I come to find out is a Koehler E-Z clamp that Autozone carries, how easy it is to get off is something to look into. The Tuffy tailgate protector supposedly secures with a Torx allen wrench. ( which thieves nowadays carry as per threads) It looks good, for around $40.00 the only thing I can think to do is to have a buddy spot weld where the wrench goes maybe after install for I don't really ever seeing myself taking the tailgate off. . . ever. (never did with my last two toyota Pickups.)

The POP & LOCK . . . . definitely the way to go, that along with a Tonneau cover seems to be the most secure option.

Made an appointment to have a Snugtop TC installed tomorrow. $839.00 plus $49.00 for the carpet and $49.00 to install it. Will be sure to shot it up and upload the pics.

Again, really appreciate the time taken to offer advice and direction. After tomorrow I can now move on to securing the spare tire, any thoughts on the "Winchlock spare tire saver" . . . looks good providing the "U" bracket can be bolted to the frame, the site looks a little bootleg, will have to make a call . . . was just wondering what you guys thought of it.
http://motivelocks.tripod.com/
I was doing the theft proof protection for my 2013 Tacoma as well, this thread do help to decide which to get.

Any new product came out since then?
Old 10-04-2013, 08:25 PM   #18
Factory Pilot
TxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Water Sprayer & naysayer
TxFireman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytsai0429 View Post
I was doing the theft proof protection for my 2013 Tacoma as well, this thread do help to decide which to get.

Any new product came out since then?
I've been kicking around the idea of getting this one, but it's not unbeatable by any means. But should deter opportunists.

http://www.jimmijammer.com/GK%20Inst...a%20Tacoma.htm
Old 10-04-2013, 11:52 PM   #19
jw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
Mine works!
Attached Thumbnails
Is there a Tailgate Lock for a 2013 PreRunner that works?!?-pop-lock-03-09-13.jpg  
Old 10-05-2013, 12:19 AM   #20
Solo707 is a jewel in the roughSolo707 is a jewel in the roughSolo707 is a jewel in the roughSolo707 is a jewel in the rough

Law Enforcement:
Solo707's Tacoma Gallery
Get the pop n lock. The tutorial on this forum makes installation easy enough to do yourself. I can't say it enough...TW is awesome! I'm on this forum most of my free time!

Here's the link
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...12-tacoma.html

Products Discussed in this Thread