Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Sport vs off road

Old 04-12-2013, 05:05 AM   #1
Deanno33 is on a distinguished road
Deanno33's Tacoma Gallery
Sport vs off road

Hello
I am looking at both trucks in double cab 4x4 but have a couple questions. I read the material from Toyota and see the basic differences. Are the bilstien shocks the same on both? Has anyone notice if the sport gets better mpg than the off road? I'm far from a tech guy but just wondering with the larger wheel vs tire on the sport and the lack of locking rear diff if there may be better average mpg with the sport.

On a side note, I'm trading my 2011 4runner as I need a truck bed again. I test drove a couple new tacos last night...if anyone from Toyota is reading...here's another plug to put the runner engine in the taco. What a huge difference. And I get 18-19 city 21-22 hwy (sometimes better) with that 270 hp runner!! The interior finish is also hands down better on the runner. All said, I'm a fan of taco too. I had a 07 and enjoyed it for few years
Old 04-12-2013, 05:19 AM   #2
Sometimes I drink water...
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
same bilstein shocks on the OR and the Sport. the difference in suspension is the front coils and diameter of the sway bar. same mpgs if you are looking at the same cab, 2wd/4wd, and trans configurations.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:25 AM   #3
Horsebit
Grieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam
Grieby54's Tacoma Gallery
Do you need a long bed? If so, sport is your only option.

The differences are basically these:
Sport has color matched trim and a scoop.
Off Road has locker, progressive coils up front, ATRAC, and a better brake booster.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:02 AM   #4
Thank you for the explanation guys....that helps.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:22 AM   #5
yahoopaul is on a distinguished road
yahoopaul's Tacoma Gallery
engine design

Quote:
I test drove a couple new tacos last night...if anyone from Toyota is reading...here's another plug to put the runner engine in the taco. What a huge difference. And I get 18-19 city 21-22 hwy (sometimes better) with that 270 hp runner!!
I used to have a 2006 4runner and looked at the 5th gen 4runner prior to buying my 2013 Tacoma. I did not buy the 5th gen 4runner in large part because I dislike the engine in the 5th gen 4runner. I sure hope Toyota doesn't perpetrate that P.O.S. in the Tacoma. See the attached link and see how Toyota messed up their design, pay in particular to the oil filter.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-ge...lots-pics.html

I think the MPG difference between the 4runner and Tacoma also is a function of gearing. But other more knowledgeable people here can probably provide more insight into that.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:35 AM   #6
Rabid Conservative
majorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike in Cali..
majorhavok's Tacoma Gallery
So now that you know the differences, why not tell us how you plan to use it?
Old 04-12-2013, 08:35 AM   #7
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grieby54 View Post
Do you need a long bed? If so, sport is your only option.

The differences are basically these:
Sport has color matched trim and a scoop.
Off Road has locker, progressive coils up front, ATRAC, and a better brake booster.
You can get a long bed SR5
Old 04-12-2013, 09:22 AM   #9
JayAre is a splendid one to beholdJayAre is a splendid one to beholdJayAre is a splendid one to beholdJayAre is a splendid one to beholdJayAre is a splendid one to beholdJayAre is a splendid one to beholdJayAre is a splendid one to behold
JayAre's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
same bilstein shocks on the OR and the Sport. the difference in suspension is the front coils and diameter of the sway bar. same mpgs if you are looking at the same cab, 2wd/4wd, and trans configurations.
Can you elaborate on this? how are the coils different and which sway bar is bigger?
Old 04-12-2013, 09:23 AM   #10
Sometimes I drink water...
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayAre View Post
Can you elaborate on this? how are the coils different and which sway bar is bigger?
OR coils are progressive and the Sport ones are linear. the sport has a slightly larger diameter sway bar.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:45 AM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorhavok View Post
So now that you know the differences, why not tell us how you plan to use it?
Going to get the Off Road. Now, just need to determine if the jbl and navigation are worth 2,000. I know the jbl in my 07 was nothing special but improvement have likely been made. Although I could probably get the non jbl and replace speakers and get better results.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:50 AM   #13
Horsebit
Grieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam
Grieby54's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanno33 View Post
Going to get the Off Road. Now, just need to determine if the jbl and navigation are worth 2,000. I know the jbl in my 07 was nothing special but improvement have likely been made. Although I could probably get the non jbl and replace speakers and get better results.
FWIW, my price difference was about $1k between with JBL and without. A good sound system will cost about that much, and I didn't really want to screw with it even though aftermarket would sound a bit better. But, I LOVE my JBL system and I think it sounds great. This is coming from someone who spent a grand on his last stereo install and had two 8" subs under the back seat of my 1st gen Tundra.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:52 AM   #14
Xer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of light

Army: veterans affairs
Xer0 SiN's Tacoma Gallery
my mom has a 2012 4runner and after driving her car cause i wanted to test out the new motor, i cant say that it would really make a difference if the updated 1gr was in the taco. i cant really notice a jump in power and honestly if feels kinda lackadaisical when you get on the throttle. i only say this because it just feels different that how my truck (13) and my 4runner (08) feels which both have the older version of the 1gr. as for mpgs with the two engines being so similar i would think they would get the same mpgs according to the way you drive. one peeve i disliked about the 5th gen was how the computer is always fumbling with the eco mode, they should have a switch to either turn it off or on.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:19 PM   #15
MudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tim
MudFlap's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I vote to go ahead and get it, I have a 2012 w/o the JBL or Nav. The NON JBL sounds very week and bad. I had a rental (2012 Camry) while I was having warranty work done and it had the upgraded sound and Nav and NOW I WISH I would have got it when I had the chance, but like most.... I thought I didn't really NEED it so I opted out and I regret it.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:04 PM   #16
Rabid Conservative
majorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike in Cali..
majorhavok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I really like the integrated JBL/Entune system. I use the steering wheel mounted controls a lot more than I thought I would. My only gripe is that there isn't usb/aux port in glove box or center console to keep my ipod out of sight but works fine where it is.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:42 PM   #17
Whitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud of

Name: Whit
Whitster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudFlap View Post
I vote to go ahead and get it, I have a 2012 w/o the JBL or Nav. The NON JBL sounds very week and bad. I had a rental (2012 Camry) while I was having warranty work done and it had the upgraded sound and Nav and NOW I WISH I would have got it when I had the chance, but like most.... I thought I didn't really NEED it so I opted out and I regret it.
If you wanna kill two birds, take a serious look at the aftermarket head units. I got a Kenwood kit from Crutchfield, it has the Garmin NAV and great customizable sound and will take your existing back up camera video. ~$650
You can also get them with the bluetooth phone, XM/Sirius, etc. The mask/molding looks like it grew there.