1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Engine not starting. battery problem? any suggestion on battery

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by JUJtacoma2010, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Apr 13, 2013 at 11:29 AM
    Shadetree

Shadetree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    BiLL
    Bozeman, Montana
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x2
    Locking Tailgate & Gas Cap and extra bed D-rings
    State-of-Charge, weak or bad cells in wet non-sealed batteries can be easily tested with an hydrometer by measuring the Specific Gravity in each cell. For more information on testing batteries can be found in Section 4 in the Car and Deep Cycle Battery FAQ on www.batteryfaq.org. Leaking electrolyte from side post batteries will require a battery replacement. Electrolyte on the top cover of a top post battery is normally caused from overfilling. For more information on maintaining batteries can be found in Section 3.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  2. Apr 13, 2013 at 11:39 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Wow. Talk about a form post...lol.

Just to give you an answer to your earlier question as to why you are reading 12.5 volts and it clicks, but when you hook up a lump box and it starts, is because when you clamp the jump box to the battery, you are clamping it to the truck cables, which will conduct electricity just fine. If you have a poor connection at either of the battery terminals, then it will not transfer electrical load.

If you have not done this already, remove both battery terminals (Negative first) and clean both the battery posts, and the cable terminals. Then reinstall the terminals (This time Negative gets done LAST) and make sure that they are tight. Retest at that point.

The concern would of course be the electrolyte that you mentioned has "leaked out". Loss of electrolyte is obviously not a good thing.

I don't think you have a bad cell though. While it is not beyond the realm of possibility, when you have a bad cell your volt meter will read a drop of 2.1 volts per bad cell. If that were the case, you should be reading 10.5V if you had a bad cell. Again this is not perfect, but it is a general rule when it comes to 6-cell, 12V batteries.

3. Apr 13, 2013 at 9:45 PM
    JUJtacoma2010

JUJtacoma2010 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fresno
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 2010 Dbl Cab. OFF Road Package
    I took it to sears and they did a test on it and it showed that it only providing a current of 250 instead of 750. so they said it was bad. I went ahead and bought a DIe Hard GOld battery for $100. It came with 3 year replacement warranty and 8 years prorated warranty.

thanks again guys. atleast I have learnt a thing or two about batteries from this experience.

4. Apr 13, 2013 at 9:51 PM
    Jerez

Jerez SoCal LED Dash Swap

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Diamond Bar/Ontario, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 2wd converted to 4wd
    Estock
    My stock batrery only lasted 2 1/2 years.,.then my dealer replacement decided to die this past week yet another 2ish years again :anonymous: bad cell...
    But I have a sound system and crap connected so I know that causes shorter life

5. Apr 13, 2013 at 9:58 PM
    Brian007Taco

Brian007Taco 007Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    If you ask. You don't know me very well!
    Mesa, AZ to NM to OK to UT back to Mesa
    Vehicle:
    2012 Red TRD OR 4x4 DCSB (aka Clifford the Big Red Truck)
    12 OR DCSB 4x4 265/75/16 Goodyear Ultra Terrain wrapped on MB352's. OME 886's w/5100's front and back, and Dakars. Derped Emblems. KM Fab sliders, Mobtown Front and back bumpers w/tire gate, KM Fab Bed Rack, Bestop Supertop, Matt Gecko bed lights. Tree Smashed Taco 06 OR AC Prerunner! OME 885 with 5100's in front, TSB and AAL with 5125's in back. 30" light bar in the valance.
    I have gone through 5 Toyota batteries including the one that was in the truck when I bought it 06 Taco 7 years ago. The most I have gotten out of their battery is just over two years and the least amount of time is 13 months. I havent paid full price for a battery yet. I know batteries don't last long here in Phoenix Arizona, but 13 months is not good. All of them have been free except one where I only had to pay 1/2 price for it because it was just past the 0-2 year 100% warranty.

6. Apr 14, 2013 at 7:07 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    Mine only last a little over 3 yrs, no abuse, maintained, and my truck is garage kept.

7. Apr 14, 2013 at 9:47 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Yeah, it is not uncommon to get only 3 years. I have been really lucky overall in that I average 4-5 years on my vehicles. I'm one of the lucky ones. Overall the Sears Gold batteries are pretty good.

Products Discussed in

To Top