Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Engine not starting. battery problem? any suggestion on battery

Old 04-12-2013, 08:04 AM   #1
JUJtacoma2010 is on a distinguished road
JUJtacoma2010's Tacoma Gallery
Engine not starting. battery problem? any suggestion on battery

My truck is 3 years old. I tried to start this morning and it didnt start. There was no crank. so I hooked up a jump starter and tried a couple of times and then it started. I am assuming it is the battery. but it just lasted 3 years. some people have used it for 6 -7 years.

Can any one suggest a good battery that will last for several years? What size battery would I need?
Old 04-12-2013, 08:35 AM   #2
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
27F would be the battery that you need.

I got his back in January. Interstate MTP-27F. 710cca & 160min reserve capacity. Same specs dimension as OEM one. I've read somewhere, but cannot confirm that this particular OEM one is a rebranded Interstate. Again that is a speculation only that I seem to recall reading somewhere while I did my research shopping for this one.

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/c...ement++battery
Old 04-12-2013, 10:10 AM   #3
thank you. I need to pick one up today if battery is the problem
Old 04-12-2013, 10:14 AM   #4
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Well what you need to do is check battery voltage. If it's below 12.4 it needs charged. It may have been drawn down by something. It's not necessarily bad. If it takes a charge then you can have it load tested. Or you can watch the voltage while you crank it.

Could also be that you've got extremely high resistance between the battery posts and clamps and you clamped the jumper cables right to the battery cables on top of the posts.

Check voltage while you crank or try to crank on the posts and on the clamps, should be the same.

If your battery did die, I too went with the interstate megatron whatever 27F.

There are several major battery manufacturers, Johnson Controls and Exide are the two that I remember right now, anyway... Toyota specs out a battery and has JC build it for them. Interstate specs out their own battery and has JC build it for them. There are a lot of cheaper shittier batteries that are also made by Johnson Controls though.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:21 AM   #5
gwos25 is on a distinguished road
Name: Gary
gwos25's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure if Costco has a battery that will fit, but they have an excellent warranty, are apparently a good battery (highly rated by consumer reports and get good online reviews) and are inexpensive. I run one in my other vehicle.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:32 AM   #6
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
As Max said, make sure that you actually need a new battery.

If so, and to clarify my original post, I would have gotten Toyota's True Start battery for $79 over the Interstate, but they don't sell them up here and the ones dealerships offer here, they sell for $200. My point, if I was in US, I would have picked that one up.

Costco as mentioned above would be another good choice for a decent price. Unfortunatly my local one did not carry 27F. Some Tacomas come with 24F batteries. The ones with towing package like yours come with 27F.

Here is my thread from a few months ago deciding on what to buy.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:50 PM   #7
How can I test for voltage? do I need some tools?

I saw these at Sears. with 3 year warranty and 8 year prorated warranty for $100. Would these work? are these reliable?

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02833128000P
Old 04-12-2013, 12:54 PM   #8
newertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: electronics tech
Name: Kevin
newertoy's Tacoma Gallery
Buy a cheap multimeter-you will find other uses for it.
Three years is NOT old for a battery-although it could be the difficulty-CHECK YOUR BATTERY TERMINALS.
Clean them-reinstall-see if you have the same symptoms.
Most likely DIRTY terminals.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:58 PM   #9
the logical one
fixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
fixer5000's Tacoma Gallery
id have to agree. clean the terminals and charge the battery before doing anything else. 3 yrs aint shit for a battery. for the record johnson controls also makes the autozone duralast gold line
Old 04-12-2013, 02:18 PM   #10
miniceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cook, 589th Combat Engineers, Ahn Khe, RVN
Name: Jim
miniceptor86's Tacoma Gallery
My OE battery is 6 yrs old your results may vary. Charge yours but before check the electrolyte level if you can and add distilled water as needed. Make sure the terminals are clean by removing them, negative first, clean the surfaces, reinstall and tighten, negative last.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:32 PM   #11
newertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: electronics tech
Name: Kevin
newertoy's Tacoma Gallery
BUY THIS FIRST
Quick View
Craftsman Multimeter, Digital, with 8 Functions and 18 Ranges

(2)

$12.99$22.99 This product is available through a Sears distributor.To purchase this product please visit our International Distributors page

Price Details
Old 04-12-2013, 03:59 PM   #12
thanks for all the ideas. I will work on the cleaning and testing the battery tonight and will update you tomorrow.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:28 PM   #13
Please help with this sound when starting engine

I cleaned the terminals really good with a brush and I also cleaned the metal round clam wires that fit the batter terminals

ok so I got a volt meter and tested the battery and it read 12.5 as shown

and then I started the engine and this is the sound I get. I have a video at this link
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9489046...n/photostream/

and then I hooked up the jump starter

and this is how the engine sounds. another video here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9489046...n/photostream/

My troubling question is that if that volt meter shows 12.5 then the battery should be good. and if the battery is good then why doesnt it start the truck. but when I use the jump starter it starts the truck.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:53 PM   #14
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
12.5 under no load doesn't tell you anything.
You need to measure under load. A battery might read 13.0 under no load, but under load it might dump to 9 or even lower if it has a bad cell.

Gets hot in Fresno, heat is a battery killer.
3 years is a short life, but I would not expect more than 4-5.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:55 PM   #15
lpfm1990 is on a distinguished road

Name: Brian
lpfm1990's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to lpfm1990
deffenity the sound of a low battery on the 1st vid, battery might hold 12.5, but has bad cells and when you hit the key, not enuff ass = no start, load test at napa or autozone would tell you more than likely your battery is no good, hard to tell by the one pic, but appears the side closet to the fender has leaked acid....
Old 04-12-2013, 09:57 PM   #16
jinxed77 will become famous soon enough
jinxed77's Tacoma Gallery
Your doing better than me. Mine only made it two years. Mine didn't even give me a warning. Started great then the next mourning nothing, no click or anything. Wouldn't even take a charge.

I'd boost it take it the part store or garage and let someone actually load test it.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:58 PM   #17
Deathcure is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
Deathcure's Tacoma Gallery
sounds like battery might have a bad cell. I had to replace mine and it wasn't a year old at the time
Old 04-12-2013, 10:55 PM   #18
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
12.5 DOES tell you something but if you're battery is charged and the terminals are clean and you're still having the same problem then... (however had you had very low voltage then you'd need a charge and that's what that tells you -- and possibly that something is drawing it down. Without voltage it doesn't matter how many AMPs your battery can give theres no pressure and you'd need to charge it before you could do anything else)
Seems like a shorted cell to me, check battery voltage while having someone crank it. Shouldn't fall below 9.6 more or less but I bet it drops to almost nothing.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:43 AM   #19
I did forget to mention that I notice some acid leak build up formed towards the negative side of the terminal.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:30 AM   #20
Dismembered
Robnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
Robnik's Tacoma Gallery
It's the battery, I've changed 100's of them. Sometimes they last 7 days, sometimes they last 7 years & everything in between. Bought a '99 Civic new that had a 36 month battery, died 3 years later almost to the day. The "eye" was still green also. As Rich said, heat is a killer. Buy a battery with the best warranty & the easiest to return close by where you live. I use Autozone, since I can walk to it in 10 min. Never had any problems with their Duralast Gold. Here's a good read: http://www.aa1car.com/library/battery_runs_down.htm