Notices

Dark Color Coated in Exhaust Pipe

Old 04-12-2013, 11:23 AM   #1
Tacoma SD is on a distinguished road

Name: Cameron
Tacoma SD's Tacoma Gallery
Dark Color Coated in Exhaust Pipe

Hi Guys,

After doing some searching and browsing for my answer I still have not found anything. Question is, I notice dark almost black residue on the rear fender when I bought my 05 with 108k miles. Most of it was cleaned off when I had it all detailed in and out. But I recently put a wicked flow muffler on and used the stock piping and it still has this dark build up on the exhaust tip? Almost looks like a diesel sometimes! lol

Id imagine its some kind of carbon build up or maybe im running rich? I replaced the stock air filter and used carbon cleaner on the maf and throttle bottle at 108k miles.

Is this somewhat normal or maybe something to look into? Any feedback or suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks in advice.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:43 AM   #2
CtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
CtTaco's Tacoma Gallery
These trucks tend to run rich. I have a similar issue with my white Tacoma. I'm pretty sure it's excess fuel coming out of the tailpipe
Old 04-14-2013, 06:58 AM   #3
I'll be your huckleberry!
Millertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Iraq vet
Name: David
Millertime187's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtTaco View Post
These trucks tend to run rich. I have a similar issue with my white Tacoma. I'm pretty sure it's excess fuel coming out of the tailpipe
What a waste of gas
Old 04-14-2013, 02:08 PM   #4

Can this be fixed or improved? Like changing spark plugs or cleaning anything? Id imagine its not a huge deal but just would like to do what I can. haha
Old 04-14-2013, 02:12 PM   #5
subaru of america
rickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ricky
rickmeseke's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma SD View Post
Can this be fixed or improved? Like changing spark plugs or cleaning anything? Id imagine its not a huge deal but just would like to do what I can. haha
Dump the exhaust you wont notice it
Old 04-14-2013, 03:16 PM   #6
Raceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
Raceline08's Tacoma Gallery
Wonder why they tend to run a little rich? Guess that would be better than lean.

Brett
Old 04-14-2013, 03:29 PM   #7
CtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
CtTaco's Tacoma Gallery
^^^Exactly. I believe if you install a urd MAF calibrator you can clean up the mixture and make it a little better.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:31 PM   #8
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtTaco View Post
^^^Exactly. I believe if you install a urd MAF calibrator you can clean up the mixture and make it a little better.
Yes that is correct. Our trucks run generally rich, and if you do N/A mods (headers, exhaust, intake, etc) it makes this even worse. A simple tune will clean most of this up though
Old 04-15-2013, 09:45 AM   #9

That would make sense to run more rich than lean, but mine (or maybe others too) seem to run too rich. Especially to the point of coating my rear fender with exhaust. Ill look into the urd maf, but anyone come up with some good tune up tactics feel free to add anything!

I think Ill start with replacing the spark plugs, 1. because it probably needs to be done at 115k miles, and 2. it may help run cleaner/more efficient.

Good thing is I can monitor the color of the exhaust due to the chrome tip. I can clean it and see if it builds up faster or not after making changes. :-)