1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Feeler: How many 2nd Gen owners are interested in a power sliding window mod kit?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BenWA, Apr 12, 2013.

?

Would you buy a "hidden" window kit if available?

Poll closed May 12, 2013.
  1. Absolutely, 100% yes, I would give you my money right now.

275 vote(s)
    52.5%
  2. Maybe -- I would have to think about it.

199 vote(s)
    38.0%
  3. Neat idea, but it's not for me.

46 vote(s)
    8.8%
  4. Not for me, but I know somebody outside of TW who would definitely buy one.

4 vote(s)
    0.8%
  1. May 7, 2013 at 6:49 AM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    This was 2 weeks ago. As with everyone I hope that he is having better luck with indiegogo than he did with the other (crowd source scum).

2. May 9, 2013 at 9:10 AM
    BenWA

BenWA [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston burbs
    Vehicle:
    '06 Double Cab TRD Off Road 4X4
    Hey guys,

Sorry it's been a long time since I've posted an update.

Indeed, I have been working on setting up a crowdfund page on gofundme.com behind the scenes. But I have to be completely frank and share with you that I have been doing a lot of thinking about this, and I am on the fence about going through with it at this point in time. The nearly 270 votes of "definitely in" interest so far are awesome and encouraging, and I sincerely appreciate everyones' support and enthusiasm. But the fact of the matter is that a project of this nature and expected volume requires channeling everything thru an LLC, which involves a lot of steps, time, effort, overhead, taxes, and risk... and thus it is debatable whether going through with it would be justified for the relatively limited level of interest that there is at the current time. I badly want to make this mod available to all who want it, but it's more of a challenge to bring it to life than I think a lot of folks may realize. Not to add to the list of excuses, but bear in mind also that I have two very demanding day jobs, and at the same time am in the midst of dealing with an evolving family tragedy, which makes it all the more difficult to justify the time and risk of a side business venture. I'm not saying that I have thrown in the towel completely, I just am keeping you all in the loop about what's going on, and letting you all know that I am on the fence at the moment. I just want to keep it real and not bullshit anybody. Thanks again for all your support.

In the meantime, I will still be selling my original kit version for double cabs.

3. May 9, 2013 at 9:20 AM
    adio

adio Well-Known Member

Member:
    HI
    Vehicle:
    2015 INFERNO TRD PRO
    dang. sorry to hear that.

another long wait for us Access Cab guys :(

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  4. May 9, 2013 at 9:40 AM
    BenWA

Member:
    Boston burbs
    Vehicle:

Thanks for the good thoughts man. I hope so, too.

Unfortunately the old kit can't be modded to make the new kit. The new kit uses completely different parts that have been designed by yours truly and are not available off the shelf, hence the need for manufacturing of a large minimum order quantity of all the parts (that requires all the start up crowdfunding).

5. May 9, 2013 at 9:49 AM
    rleete

rleete Grumpy old man - get off my lawn

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    Base DC, SR5, TRD Sport
    Billet grill
    Sell printed instructions on sourcing/making parts. Cheaper, no inventory, easy shipping.

Ought to be able to make up some drawings and lists fairly quickly. I'd pay for a how-to that means I have to make/buy the stuff myself.

Hell, twist my arm and I'll help make the drawings for the parts.

6. May 9, 2013 at 10:20 AM
    BenWA

Member:
    Boston burbs
    Vehicle:
    That sounds good on paper, but the fact is that most of the parts are not something that can be made readily, not even by somebody who has their own machine shop. They require manufacturing at a factory that is already set up to build that type of part, and the manufacturers typically have very large minimum order quantities (some are MOQ of 100, some are MOQ of 500), not to mention requirement of holding a resale certificate to purchase the parts from said manufacturer, etc. Selling plans or instructions isn't going to help anybody get any closer to getting a kit. In the end, it would be cheaper and quicker to just get a CR Laurence window.

7. May 9, 2013 at 3:44 PM
    CtTaco

CtTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 Doublecab Sport Longbed Supercharged
    3" lift, Tundra wheels with BFG ATKO's, Viper Remote starter TRD Supercharger
    Except for the problem of having to remove a perfectly good window and ruin a factory seal...I for one would much rather go with something that somebody in our community was awesome enough to develop and produce ( kinda like the guy who did the 4x4 switch lights; maybe he migt have some input on how he went about things and could help you avoid some of the pitfalls?). That being said im sure we all understand that family comes first and while we hope you're able to get things going, it's not the end of the world if you aren't able to devote the time to it right now.

Fwiw, I would definitely be interested myself...

8. May 10, 2013 at 4:52 AM
    CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter Hold My Beer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnathan
    Virginia
    sorry to hear about the tragedy and the issues, completely understandable and i am still behind you if you go through with it, if not i will definitely be buying one of the current models you have for the 2nd gens.

9. May 10, 2013 at 7:44 AM
    Telluride

Telluride Learning Mode

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    TX TRD OffRoad Mag Grey
    OEM bedmat | Disabled seat belt chime

Same thoughts here!

10. May 10, 2013 at 9:59 AM
    rleete

rleete Grumpy old man - get off my lawn

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    Base DC, SR5, TRD Sport
    Billet grill
    Same as any other power window.

11. May 10, 2013 at 12:56 PM
    407PILOT

407PILOT New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2016 Double Cab, Blazing Blue Perl
    Nothing yet.
    Yep, I'd do it.

12. May 11, 2013 at 2:20 PM
    atebit

atebit What's all this, then?

Member:
    The basement of the Alamo
    Vehicle:
    18 Inferno TRD OR 4x4 AC
    FWIW I would change my "maybe" to a "hell yes" at this point.

13. May 11, 2013 at 5:42 PM
    scratch

scratch Well-Known Member

Member:
    Totally understand about you not wanting to take on the commitment to manufacturer, that is a non trivial step. Would you be willing to publish what you did to get the unit in the video working so nice so that we could try to mimic your work? If you dont have plans to make and sell it, open sourcing it is a great option.

14. May 11, 2013 at 6:40 PM
    beandip007

beandip007 Member

Member:
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2013 Black Taco Sport

Try and find a local job shop that can work with you on a personal level to manufacture the parts to your specs. Job shops are smaller and usually love crazy projects also they have smaller minimum orders. Granted the initial cost will be more substantial, but this is a cool product, might be able to branch out to other trucks and make you a little slice of aftermarket heaven.

15. May 12, 2013 at 2:28 AM
    adio

adio Well-Known Member

Member:
    HI
    Vehicle:
    2015 INFERNO TRD PRO
    X2. wouldn't mind just getting all the parts myself and trying the mod on my Taco.

But I think it's pretty much impossible because he did mention about getting a patent on his design.

16. May 14, 2013 at 7:33 AM
    neversummeriam

neversummeriam Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sam
    colorado
    Vehicle:
    Black 2012 Tacoma SR5 debadged
    Factory step sides (black). Katskin Leather Heated seats. Tacoma rubber floor mats. Totally Debadged, KCCO sticker added! Front emblem painted (blue). Engine cover painted (blue). Rear differential breather relocated (to rear storage box). Cobra DX 19 IV with a 3' No ground Firestik antenna and a Relentless Fabrications antenna hood mount. Blue sea 12 slot fuse box with ground. 100 amp Circuit breaker. Custom bed rack painted (blue). Mounted to custom rack; shovel, axe, Thule ski rack, 5 GAL. Jerry can holder custom built painted (blue), 20MM ammo can used as tool box. Relocated the 7pin for factory hitch. Under hood LED lights with push pin switch. Sylvania HID xenon filled headlight bulb replacement. Redline Quicklift plus hood struts. Body Armor Rear Plate Bumper w/tire carrier. Daystar 2 1/2" front Spacer lift 1 1/2 rear. 265/75-16 Goodyear Duratrac AVS dark tint Vent Visor. Leer Legend 100 Topper. Painted Gauge circles BLUE.
    So any chance of getting the original version?
    I need a slider so I would be up a original one.
    I have a 2012 DCSB. Please I really wanta get one of these.
    And again sorry the new version fell thru.

17. May 14, 2013 at 7:41 AM
    allmotorrex

allmotorrex Grove St. Fab

Member:
    First Name:
    Gideon
    Memphis 901
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4wd 2.7
    NWF crawlbox, 5.29s, rear Detriot, front Harrop, 37" SXIIs, 17x9" KMC Grenade Crawl beadlocks, Dirt King 3.5" LT kit with King shocks, Fox 12" smooth body RR, BAMF shock kit, AP 3" springs, ext. brake lines, custom 1 piece driveshaft with .135 wall tubeing, GSF front rock crawling bumper, GSF rear bumper, Relentless Fab ifs skid, BAMF k/o sliders, X2O 10K comp. winch, TP glass fenders, OKled 20"bar, EBS dimpled/slotted rotors, EBS green pads, custom K&N CAI, LCE headers, FM Super 44 w/h turn down, URD MAF, Spec clutch, LCE heavy flywheel, URD short shifter, TMPer M1 Abrams shift knob, Amsoil oil, Cobra 75wxst w/h 4' firestix, Grillcraft, FXR TRS, T1 eyelids, custom ADV Monster 60 lights, bed lights, speedo light mod, Glow Shift volt/oil pres gauges, Glow shift 2g column pod, Optima yellow tops dual battery setup w/h IBS system, Pioneer DEH-P7200HD head unit, Pioneer 600W 4ch & 350w 2ch amps for doors and sub, Wet Oakle covers
    I got a good question (sorry if its already been asked). You say that you build the components for the device which is why you can't get this going because no one is willing to build just a small amount of them. Why don't you use parts that are already mass produced!? Trucks have had sliding windows in them for a long time now. The parts are obviously out there. Why does it matter that u can only use parts you have designed!?

18. May 14, 2013 at 8:35 PM
    adio

adio Well-Known Member

Member:
    HI
    Vehicle:
    2015 INFERNO TRD PRO
    If worst comes to worst, would it be possible to just buy the information? Ie. what parts is needed, and the install information etc. Like I said before I wouldn't mind getting the parts myself.

19. May 14, 2013 at 10:07 PM
    majorhavok

majorhavok Rabid Conservative

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike in Cali..
    Peoples Republic of Caulifournia
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Sport DoubleCab 4x4
    Ultragauge, ImMrYo mirror, Tailgate lock, Snugtop Rebel Shell.
    I wanted one until I got a shell. Now having ONE of the windows open is kinda pointless. lol

20. May 15, 2013 at 5:12 PM
    flstc07

flstc07 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited
    .Pop -lock ,Flex Bed cover. Bed extender, power rear sliding window.
    Im in and would like to purchase one .

Products Discussed in

To Top