Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2007 TRD vs. 2013 TRD

Old 04-13-2013, 07:27 PM   #21
O-------l
Del Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shedDel Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shedDel Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shedDel Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shedDel Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shedDel Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shedDel Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shedDel Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shedDel Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shedDel Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shedDel Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Del Scorcho's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
I ask those with a Sport: "Do you really need a fake scoop on the hood?"
No, but I wanted a normal sized bed with 4 doors and a real back seat... If they made a DCLB version of the TRD Off Road, I would have bought it. But I figured it was easier to eventually add a locker than to stretch my truck... Why they just couldn't put A-TRAC in ALL the 4X4s or at least the TRD 4X4s is beyond me....

Honestly, I really did it for the color matched door handles.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:30 PM   #22
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragr1 View Post
I've got a 2007 CC 4wd V6 TRD Tacoma as a work truck and I've been looking at a new 2013 Tacoma identical to the one I have as a replacement (my 2007 has 285,000 miles on it).

One thing I noticed though is that it appears that you have to get the atrac junk to get the TRD Offroad package now. My 2007 has the TRD package with the rear locker, but no atrac.

So is it true that you have to get the atrac to get the rear locker now?
Well, I would do maintenance and continue unless you having some major problem with the truck. Newer one may not last 280 000 miles.
I would just fix what needs fixing and continue running for another 200k+ miles. 2007-2008 where probably best years of Tacoma.
Dont get 2009+ for ATRAC/VSC its junk for slippery conditions so if you really insist on 2009+ truck I would just get Sr5 and put savings over TRD into ARB lockers.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:51 PM   #23
dragr1 is on a distinguished road

dragr1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
Well, I would do maintenance and continue unless you having some major problem with the truck. Newer one may not last 280 000 miles.
I would just fix what needs fixing and continue running for another 200k+ miles. 2007-2008 where probably best years of Tacoma.
Dont get 2009+ for ATRAC/VSC its junk for slippery conditions so if you really insist on 2009+ truck I would just get Sr5 and put savings over TRD into ARB lockers.
Company dictates it and it's been having some repairs all along this year. Doesn't bother me to keep driving it, but the boss wants me in a newer truck and he's the one paying
Old 04-13-2013, 09:08 PM   #24
Rabid Conservative
majorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike in Cali..
majorhavok's Tacoma Gallery
As others have said, I have the sport and so far I haven't found a situation I can't get out of. That being said I can always add front and rear lockers, while still having the long bed option and looking cool and surpassing and skewpifying my poor TRD OR brethren with full color match and coolness to boot.

I claim dibs on skewpifying btw.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:22 PM   #25
dragr1 is on a distinguished road

dragr1's Tacoma Gallery
This thread is getting off track

I DON"T WANT A TRD SPORT OR A LONG BED, it would be stupid to buy a truck w/o the locker when I can get the factory locker as an option. The long bed is too long to turn around in the tight spots that I drive into everyday in the woods. And I don't want a hood scoop on my truck.

Now back on track please, this thread has nothing to do with a sport model.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:23 PM   #26
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I DON"T WANT A TRD SPORT OR A LONG BED, it would be stupid to buy a truck w/o the locker when I can get the factory locker as an option. The long bed is too long to turn around in the tight spots that I drive into everyday in the woods. And I don't want a hood scoop on my truck.

I blame DavidK
Old 04-13-2013, 09:53 PM   #27
Newtaco2012 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jeremy
Newtaco2012's Tacoma Gallery
you can turn the atrac off completely by holding the button down for like 6 secs at a complete stop
Old 04-13-2013, 09:55 PM   #28
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtaco2012 View Post
you can turn the atrac off completely by holding the button down for like 6 secs at a complete stop
I think you are referring to VSC / TRAC , not ATRAC
Old 04-13-2013, 09:57 PM   #29
wlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 72nd Security Forces, Tinker AFB
Name: William
wlmuncy's Tacoma Gallery
I know you are asking for advice, but it seems based on your comments:

1) You have to buy a new truck, no choice.
2) You don't want a Sport.
3) You want a locker.
4) That leaves you the TRD offroad. Any differences between what you have now and what the offroad comes with today is not relevant. (See point number 1)
Old 04-13-2013, 09:59 PM   #30

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlmuncy View Post

3) You want a locker.
4) That leaves you the TRD offroad. Any differences between what you have now and what the offroad comes with today is not relevant. (See point number 1)
Bingo
Old 04-13-2013, 10:12 PM   #31
IKA fabrications
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bullaculla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

3) You want a locker.
Or an SR5 with arb locker since its a work truck.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:14 PM   #32
wlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 72nd Security Forces, Tinker AFB
Name: William
wlmuncy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullaculla View Post
Or an SR5 with arb locker since its a work truck.
I can't remember the post, but he also said why buy a locker when he can get one on the truck as an option.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:16 PM   #33
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

3) You want a locker.
Yup.

dragr1, don't sweat the A-TRAC. It's not junk, and it's easy to control. Beyond the rear locker, all of the traction aids (A-TRAC, Auto LSD, DAC, VSC, Trailer Sway Control) are just manipulations of the ABS with some throttle control. If you choose to run without those systems activated, the new truck will behave like your old one.

I also agree that it's a shame Toyota doesn't offer a DCLB OR. My guess is they'd rather see you in a Tundra if you want more bed and a rear locker.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:18 PM   #34
IKA fabrications
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bullaculla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I can't remember the post, but he also said why buy a locker when he can get one on the truck as an option.
Yeah he did. but if he really doesn't want the ATRAC, and the sport is out of the question, then its really the only other way.
Plus its cheaper.

Quote:

Old 04-13-2013, 10:24 PM   #35
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullaculla View Post
Yeah he did. but if he really doesn't want the ATRAC, then its really the only other way, plus its cheaper.
True, but IME, fleet/company/work trucks usually aren't modded, and service is done at the dealership if the company doesn't have their own shop. It's just simpler to manage the vehicles if they're bone stock, and it's easier to sell them, too. OTOH, if this truck is to see a +200,000 mile turn over, maybe the company would be ok with installing a locker. They sure won't be worrying about trading it in.

That's really a moot point, as wlmuncy said. If OP wants a turn-key rear locker, the DCSB OR is the only show in town.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:25 PM   #36
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
if your boss is footing the bill... why arent you importing a Hilux?
Old 04-13-2013, 10:29 PM   #37
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Too bad about the useless 5' " box "
weird. mine is very useful, and looks far better to boot!
Old 04-13-2013, 10:30 PM   #38

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodygg View Post
weird. mine is very useful, and looks far better to boot!
Not

and

Not
Old 04-13-2013, 10:31 PM   #39
Backdoor Commentator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Not

and

Not
Not all of us make a living with our trucks.

Or our skewps.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:37 PM   #40
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
the sport/sr5's/base's are the same thing from 09+, with minor differences. prior to 09, the sports had a real LSD, and the base models had one tire fire. the OR is the only tacoma with a true different drive mode from the rest of the models...