LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2007 TRD vs. 2013 TRD

Old 04-13-2013, 09:39 PM   #41
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
Not all of us make a living with our trucks.

Or our skewps.
True
Old 04-14-2013, 04:52 AM   #42
dragr1 is on a distinguished road

dragr1's Tacoma Gallery
Company is footing the bill and the company wants it stock except for someway to mount a winch. Reliability is the key and the best way to have reliability is to leave it stock. I know b/c I have had lots of modded vehicles. Double cab short bed TRD Offroad is what I will be getting and only in silver exterior-identical to what I have now. I just wanted to make sure that I could run with the atrac off in the mud.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:44 AM   #43
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragr1 View Post
Company is footing the bill and the company wants it stock except for someway to mount a winch. Reliability is the key and the best way to have reliability is to leave it stock. I know b/c I have had lots of modded vehicles. Double cab short bed TRD Offroad is what I will be getting and only in silver exterior-identical to what I have now. I just wanted to make sure that I could run with the atrac off in the mud.
YES... but you will simply push the button to turn it on, so you don't stay stuck.

A-TRAC turns a single front spinning tire and a single rear spinning tire into FOUR tires that are rotation-matched to crawl you out, like a tank.

There is so much mis-understanding and mis-representation of A-TRAC by those who either don't have it, or those who have yet to fully use it.

The rear-locker is understood, and is the reason I select the Off Road 4WD Tacoma each year model I got one (2001, 2005, 2010). I did not know what A-TRAC was when I traded up from my '05 to the '10. I came here to TW for answers (the dealer or company literature was of no help). Then I went off road to experiment with the new traction systems... and was blown away by the differences between what my rear locked '05 4WD could do (which was amazing) and the identical 2010 did, even without the rear locked. I use the rear locker sometimes, but the A-TRAC really makes it obsolete in the various conditions I typically four wheel in...

I posted a lot about A-TRAC and the other new systems because there was either not enough information or to counter the tons of FALSE and misleading drama posted here by the non-A-TRAC members. Sure, there is nothing better for pure traction than a front and rear locked 4WD, in most situations. However, Toyota does not offer a front locker. My enthusiasm is over STOCK traction from the factory. The one other beauty of A-TRAC (besides it comes as standard equipment on the Off Road 4WD) is you can steer with it on. Lockers inhibit tight steering often found in off road trails.

As for the 5 foot bed... It holds as much as the first generation 6 foot bed I had before... being a bigger truck. A longer bed would not allow as much off roading, due to hang ups on a longer over-hang. A-TRAC is NOT for slippery roads, otherwise it would be on all models (VSC and TRAC are for slippery roads). A-TRAC is for severe off roading, such as steep grades, loose rocks, boulders, etc. Even my 5 ft. bed was a bit too long for some of the off roading I do... as I came down off a boulder and smashed the underside, and pulled my bumper away from the truck. A 6 foot bed would have really been hard to get through.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:48 AM   #44
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
haha how is that relevant to what you just quoted?

The OP just said what truck he is getting, he's good.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:58 AM   #45
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardsGottaEat View Post
haha how is that relevant to what you just quoted?

The OP just said what truck he is getting, he's good.
Because of the OP's statement of wanting to be sure he could turn off A-TRAC in the mud...

My reply was to counter the tons of 'anti-A-TRAC' propaganda that has naturally confused the OP into thinking A-TRAC turned off is somehow better!

If you are in low range 4WD, there is just no way I see that 2 wheels turning (A-TRAC OFF) is better than all 4 wheels turning (A-TRAC ON). Before A-TRAC was installed, we would have to use front and rear lockers to get that kind of traction... and Toyota doesn't offer front lockers on the Tacoma.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:05 AM   #46
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Because of the OP's statement of wanting to be sure he could turn off A-TRAC in the mud...

My reply was to counter the tons of 'anti-A-TRAC' propaganda that has naturally confused the OP into thinking A-TRAC turned off is somehow better!

If you are in low range 4WD, there is just no way I see that 2 wheels turning (A-TRAC OFF) is better than all 4 wheels turning (A-TRAC ON). Before A-TRAC was installed, we would have to use front and rear lockers to get that kind of traction... and Toyota doesn't offer front lockers on the Tacoma.
I am pretty sure system never goes completely off unless somebody pulls the fuse out.
Nothing makes life more interesting than truck cutting power to engine mid slippery hill climb with trailer behind you.
Cant wait for Part 2 of this saga

OP. I would take new truck for a spin with out trailer first.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:09 AM   #47
007Taco
Brian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Brian007Taco's Tacoma Gallery
How about the Prerunners? Do they have the atrac or the locker in the 2009+?
Old 04-15-2013, 10:11 AM   #48
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmmccoy007 View Post
How about the Prerunners? Do they have the atrac or the locker in the 2009+?
Prerunner TRD Offroad will have a locker , no ATRAC though , that's only on '09+ TRD Offroad 4x4's
Old 04-15-2013, 10:35 AM   #49
007Taco
Brian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Brian007Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Ah, ok.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:17 PM   #50

David K's Tacoma Gallery
A-TRAC is only a Low Range 4WD system... for crawling up, out of, or over conditions where up to three tires can be off the ground or spinning free... and with just one tire, even a front tire, can pull you through.

As Oz said, only on the 4WD OFF ROAD TRD TACOMA, standard since 2009. Has been on other Toyota and Lexus vehicles for more years, however.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:29 PM   #51
EDJY has a spectacular aura aboutEDJY has a spectacular aura about
Name: Elliott
EDJY's Tacoma Gallery
I don't understand why Atrac has a bad rep. I have only heard good things about it. And you can turn it off. You can run with a locked rear diff and enable Atrac to help the front traction.

On an unrelated note, what kind of maintenance have you done to your 07?
Old 04-15-2013, 07:43 PM   #52

dragr1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
Nothing makes life more interesting than truck cutting power to engine mid slippery hill climb with trailer behind you.

Exactly, I don't need atrac to be my "nanny"
Old 04-15-2013, 07:50 PM   #53
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
ATRAC doesn't cut power. It applies brakes to the slipping wheel. The system is actually designed so the brakes get can still get full assist when the throttle is open. (The other Tacos lose vacuum assist when you give throttle.)

ATRAC doesn't arm until you consciously hit the ATRAC button in the dash.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:52 PM   #54

dragr1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDJY View Post

On an unrelated note, what kind of maintenance have you done to your 07?

Minimal, fluid changes, 2 sets of front brake pads, 1 rear full brake job, TSB on rear springs, 2 sets of shocks, 3 or 4 cv axles due to torn boots (never broke one), 2 bent shifter cables (sticks on logging jobs), all ujoints replaced, all control arms on front replaced-upper and lower (bushings worn so just replaced the whole arm), 2 or 3 wheel bearings, 1 blower motor, 1 leaking a/c line and refrigerant recharge. I think that's about it-which is way way less than the 3 previous Chevy 1500's that I had in the woods at work.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:53 PM   #55
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
A-Trac at work on a Prado (foreign 4Runner). Note the wheel is braked when it loses contact with the ground:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyl7ytk1YIw
Old 04-15-2013, 07:55 PM   #56

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragr1 View Post
Exactly, I don't need atrac to be my "nanny"
Better not get a new one then

Ermahgerd
Old 04-16-2013, 05:22 PM   #57
2013TuRD is on a distinguished road
Name: Bruce
2013TuRD's Tacoma Gallery
I've run in the mud with A-trac on, It doesn't do any nannying. It did help me pull into and out of the the deeper muck and go around the stuck Jeep.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:23 PM   #58

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, dragr1 and OZ-T, really? Nothing 'nanny' about traction control that works or that you can turn off. If you won't believe me... can you believe the others or the video clip above? The A-TRAC mimics a locker in the front and rear. Notice that when the front tire leaves the ground, it isn't braked to a stop but is matching the rotation of the other tire in front, giving a near 50-50 split in torque.

Than you KenLyns for the clip! Looks like Ayers Rock in Australia, but I am sure they don't let you drive up it. It is real steep and one solid rock (I climbed it in 1970)!
A-TRAC works great on loose rocks too... that's where I got amazed with it... and how it pulled me out of a couple places that my previous Tacomas would have required a pull!
Old 04-17-2013, 05:26 PM   #59

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Wow, dragr1 and OZ-T, really? Nothing 'nanny' about traction control that works or that you can turn off. If you won't believe me... can you believe the others or the video clip above? The A-TRAC mimics a locker in the front and rear. Notice that when the front tire leaves the ground, it isn't braked to a stop but is matching the rotation of the other tire in front, giving a near 50-50 split in torque.

Than you KenLyns for the clip! Looks like Ayers Rock in Australia, but I am sure they don't let you drive up it. It is real steep and one solid rock (I climbed it in 1970)!
A-TRAC works great on loose rocks too... that's where I got amazed with it... and how it pulled me out of a couple places that my previous Tacomas would have required a pull!
I disagree , VSC / TRAC is nanny mode , I wasn't talking about ATRAC as I have no opinion or interest in it

In summary , I don't care about ATRAC
Old 04-18-2013, 08:36 AM   #60

David K's Tacoma Gallery
I understand amigo... Have you tried to spin-out your truck on a wet road in 2WD, only to find that the VSC actually works at straightening out the truck, almost like you were in 4WD? I guess that was what impressed me about VSC. As for TRAC, it is very minimal in 2WD, but in 4WD (without any engine regulation) it is a big boost in traction ability as I have discovered going to the same places as I had in my '05 and '01 Tacomas. I guess I am lucky to be able to compare the old with the new in various conditions (desert, beach, rocks, snow) living where I do? Have a nice day, ok!