Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2007 TRD vs. 2013 TRD

Old 04-18-2013, 08:39 AM   #61
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
I understand amigo... Have you tried to spin-out your truck on a wet road in 2WD, only to find that the VSC actually works at straightening out the truck, almost like you were in 4WD? I guess that was what impressed me about VSC. As for TRAC, it is very minimal in 2WD, but in 4WD (without any engine regulation) it is a big boost in traction ability as I have discovered going to the same places as I had in my '05 and '01 Tacomas. I guess I am lucky to be able to compare the old with the new in various conditions (desert, beach, rocks, snow) living where I do? Have a nice day, ok!
I am not a fan of VSC in low traction ( snow ) conditions

I guess I am lucky to have learned how to drive in snow without it
Old 04-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #62
Most people call me ... Jim.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
I am not a fan of VSC in low traction ( snow ) conditions

I guess I am lucky to have learned how to drive in snow without it
Yes, you are.

I look at it this way. For on road driving, learning to drive without modern traction aids develops the skills needed to safely operate a vehicle fully under human control. If you drive like that with aids active, any intervention the aids take will usually be minimal. That philosophy is predicated on the aids functioning beneficially. Yes, I know. ABS sucks in snow.

Off road (or other low traction situations), the behavior of A-TRAC and the like can't be replicated manually (braking wheels independently), so there's no human controlled analog.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #63
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
Yes, you are.

I look at it this way. For on road driving, learning to drive without modern traction aids develops the skills needed to safely operate a vehicle fully under human control. If you drive like that with aids active, any intervention the aids take will usually be minimal. That philosophy is predicated on the aids functioning beneficially. Yes, I know. ABS sucks in snow.

Off road (or other low traction situations), the behavior of A-TRAC and the like can't be replicated manually (braking wheels independently), so there's no human controlled analog.
Once again , to summarize

I wasn't talking about ATRAC , I don't care about ATRAC
Old 04-18-2013, 03:15 PM   #64
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Once again , to summarize

I wasn't talking about ATRAC , I don't care about ATRAC
To summarize, I was speaking generally.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #65
SAY MY NAME
moondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
moondeath's Tacoma Gallery
I think there is a lot of confusion going on here. ATRAC is different from TRAC. ATRAC only comes on when you push the button and are in 4lo. It doesn't cut power, it gives LSD like effects all around. You can also turn on your locker at the same time if you please. TRAC in 4lo is OFF.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:56 PM   #66

It's been stated several times that the traction aids can be turned off.

It's also been stated several times that if the OP wants a factory rear locker, the only option is the Off-Road package, which includes several traction aids that can be turned off.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:47 PM   #67
MudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tim
MudFlap's Tacoma Gallery
Myself, having a 2012 TRD Off Road, I believe in the ability of ATRAC. I do understand that this is a bone stock factory truck and ATRAC is not the best thing to happen to traction. But IMO, ATRAC is worth having and using when in a tight spot. Here is another video demonstrating ATRAC at work, very good example at 1:15 here.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKl30rPjsG0
Old 04-30-2013, 04:08 PM   #68
joeyd27 is on a distinguished road
joeyd27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
I hope it does help, do keep in mind that since I wrote that post, there was some changes made in 2012 to the TRAC/AUTO LSD system in H4, perhaps adding a 10th drive mode choice?

Also, A-TRAC is fantastic... this is coming from someone who had an 2001 4WD Off Road and a 2005 4WD Off Road before... the rear locker is great, but A-TRAC gives you locker-like traction on the front and rear tires!

A-TRAC only comes on with the A-TRAC button depressed, in L4. So, if you want free spinning, open differential action, just leave it off or turn it off. However, if you ever come to the foot of a near-cliff you want to climb... or a mud bog you want to cross... or got stuck because it was off when it could have been on... Press the A-TRAC button!

In H4, you also can de-activate the traction control as it is normally on in H4 (and H2) because of the superior traction improvement over simple open differentials. Here's how: Stop the truck, press and hold in the VSC Off switch until VSC Off light comes on (about 3-5 seconds). VSC and TRAC are both de-activated until you press the button again, or re-start your truck, or do something that could cause a roll over.
I printed out your 9 drive modes and hit the trails today. Your right 4Hi seems different. In 4Hi going slow, I hit the VSC button and the TRAC OFF light comes on. If I hold the button for 3+ seconds then the TRAC OFF and VSC OFF lights come on.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:05 AM   #69
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyd27 View Post
I printed out your 9 drive modes and hit the trails today. Your right 4Hi seems different. In 4Hi going slow, I hit the VSC button and the TRAC OFF light comes on. If I hold the button for 3+ seconds then the TRAC OFF and VSC OFF lights come on.
Thanks, so what we would like to know is 4WD TRAC OFF = AUTO LSD, as it is in 2WD? Can you test on a hill climb the difference between TRAC ON and TRAC OFF. I can climb almost as easy/far in H4 with TRAC as L4. L4 is just less stressful on the truck, as you can crawl slow (A-TRAC on, naturally).

REVIEW:
In the 2009-2011 Tacomas, in H4 (4Hi) it is normally in traction control mode, but without engine regulation (same as AUTO LSD in H2)... and to help the confusion, Toyota called this TRAC (as they do with the 2WD TRAC which has regulation). 2009-2011 models in H4 have a choice of TRAC (no regulation) and VSC OFF (no traction control or VSC)... two modes.

2012+ (in H4) has three modes in H4: TRAC (regulation?), TRAC OFF (no regulation?), and VSC OFF (no TRAC or VSC).

Thanks for your help!