Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

bigger tires less mpg? What's your experience?

Old 04-13-2013, 05:51 PM   #21
drinking whats on sale
92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92dlxman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowdotz View Post
yes I would never use odometer to guage mpg after a diameter upgrade in your tires. It'd be better to use a gps to do mpg calcs.
or just multiply your odometer reading by the increase in circumference to figure your actual mileage
Old 04-13-2013, 05:55 PM   #22
BenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
I'm running 285/75/16 Duratracs. Negligible difference in mpg from stock BFG Rugged Trails, maybe 1 mpg difference if that. I have a suspicion that those who cite a more siginificant mpg loss from bigger tires are forgetting to make a correction for the added tire circumference in their mpg calculations. You just need to look up the spec charts of the tire manufacturers to find the true outside diameter. Using my Duratracs as an example, the difference in circumference between stock Rugged Trails and 285/75/16 Duratracs is 8%, therefore you need to add 8% to your odometer readings before you do the mpg calculation.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:56 PM   #23
yellowdotz is on a distinguished road

Name: SiNNeR
yellowdotz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyeyezz View Post
Stock Dunlop AT 20 fairly worn, to same size Michelin LTX AT2, lost at least 2mpg.
when you say that you are taking into consideration the increase in the circumference in your tires and factoring that into your mileage calcs?
Old 04-13-2013, 06:02 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsredline View Post
i have 265 75 16 wrangler authoritys, they lowered my mpg by about 2mpg. Others swear up and down 265 75 16 do not rub, but mine infact do rub. If i am turning and hit a bump they touch the mudflap where it bolts to the cab.
is your odometer calibrated to guage the larger circumference of the tires? How do you measure your mpg after you upgraded your tires?
Old 04-13-2013, 06:16 PM   #25
"Rumors of Bob, but never Bob. It is Bob, right?"
Bobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
Bobbb's Tacoma Gallery
I should add that the 1-2 mpg loss I stated above is with 90% highway/5% city/5% OR driving. These tires are heavy (E-range Toyo OC M/T) and I do have to give it more go juice off the line than I did with stock. If I was doing more start/stop city driving then my dropoff percentage would probably be worse.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:48 PM   #26

guys you do have to keep in mind the circumference and factor that in to your readings. Otherwise you're misleading ppl. Odometer readings are not accurate if you up ur tires and do not tune your odometer to read the upgrade.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:51 PM   #27
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
13 mpg after correction. 12.5 mpg without 17 before so almost 25% lost. Its worse on highway mileage since the rpms do not matter for fuel efficiency, contrary to the lies you will hear that say they do.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:58 PM   #28
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
This is my 6" lifted, 35's Fierce Attitude mts

Old 04-14-2013, 09:03 PM   #29
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay238 View Post
This is my 6" lifted, 35's Fierce Attitude mts

I knew it was no 4x4 just looking at the mileage.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:06 PM   #30
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevL View Post
I knew it was no 4x4 just looking at the mileage.
Orly? 6 speed manual 4x4 in that truck

Old 04-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #31
Deanno33 is on a distinguished road
Deanno33's Tacoma Gallery
I am torn on this topic and keep reading post after post. My new truck should be here tomorrow and I want to swap the BFG trails right away so the shop gives me top $. Really want the look of the 265 75 over stock 265 70 but prefer not make mpg less. BFG 265 70 stock weighs 38lbs and is semi aggressive tread. Firestone Destination AT 265 75 is 42 lbs and inch taller. Destination isn't too aggressive for an AT. Estimates on mpg loss? Anyone make same change?

My new ride will be 2013 dbl cab trd or

Thanks and nice to be back...been taco less since 2010 when I traded my 2007.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:10 PM   #32
Special Edition Member
Gincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gincoma's Tacoma Gallery
I get better gas mileage with a one size up tire I was running 265/70/17 on my last Tacoma and increased mileage on freeway cause it dropped my RPMs crusing at 75mph with stock tires I was sitting at 2300 rpms with the 265/70/17 I was 2100 rpms so made my mileage better, in the city I didnt notice a loss and this is with BFGoodrich All terrains 6 ply
Old 04-17-2013, 07:17 PM   #33

i can't wait to get bigger tires and trd rims...just gonna run my rubber till it wears. thanks for the info....good shit
Old 04-19-2013, 06:15 PM   #34
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay238 View Post
Orly? 6 speed manual 4x4 in that truck

You drive downhill both ways? Because your lifted truck is better than stock lol.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:40 PM   #35
RESIST
moondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
moondeath's Tacoma Gallery
I lost approximately 1-2 mpg after calculating for size difference. Went from 265/70-16 to 265/75-16. I really notice a difference when I do more 'city' type driving.