Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Which helper springs

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-13-2013, 12:03 PM   #1
Silver Streak is on a distinguished road
Silver Streak's Tacoma Gallery
Which helper springs

Iv been looking at the hellwig helper springs as i would think they will help my truck level out the loads and carry them a bit better. I have a bit of confusion as to which exact model to get though. There are a few iv see. Trying to find the right fit for my particular truck..

My truck is a 4x4 regular cab 4 banger. here is what iv found, not sure which one to get that will fit?

http://www.amazon.com/Hellwig-981-Le...tacoma+hellwig

http://www.amazon.com/Hellwig-550-Le...tacoma+hellwig
Old 04-13-2013, 01:46 PM   #2
ecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ecoterragaia's Tacoma Gallery
I have had the 981s on my truck for over two years now and i love them. I didnt know this until after i got home, but i hauled over 1500 lbs of paver bricks 25 miles home and the frame never touched the axle bumpstops. I wouldnt ever put that much weight in the bed again, but it shows how much capacity the helper springs add.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:29 PM   #3
okay so i was looking at the 981s now. They come with 2 springs for each leaf (4 total) as it looks. I can only find instructions on where to install the spring for the rear though? am i looking on the right place?
Old 04-18-2013, 03:36 PM   #4
Ray is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement:
Ray's Tacoma Gallery
I have the 550's on our TRD 4x2. Just hauled 1165lbs (plus a passenger and luggage) 320 miles over two mountain ranges and both CA and AZ deserts. Total weight per the AZ-DOT scale at Yuma was 5104lbs. CA-DMV shows the unladen weight of the truck at 3625lbs.

Don't have the rear suspension TSB package, just the oem 3-leaf pack and the Helwig's. Truck handled great, no sway, diving or squatting. Also, they do not affect the unloaded ride quality at all.

Ray
Old 04-18-2013, 03:40 PM   #5
007Taco
Brian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Don't ask!
Brian007Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like something I want to look into.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:54 PM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
I have the 550's on our TRD 4x2. Just hauled 1165lbs (plus a passenger and luggage) 320 miles over two mountain ranges and both CA and AZ deserts. Total weight per the AZ-DOT scale at Yuma was 5104lbs. CA-DMV shows the unladen weight of the truck at 3625lbs.

Don't have the rear suspension TSB package, just the oem 3-leaf pack and the Helwig's. Truck handle great, no sway, diving or squatting. Also, they do not affect the unloaded ride quality at all.

Ray
I just ordered the 550s on amazon. 60 bucks. cant seem to go wrong at that price. i will certainly update on how they perform.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:16 PM   #7
Chris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
Chris24's Tacoma Gallery
Not thread jacking, but can you tell me what the diff between these and an aal is? Or will an aal not increase payload cap? I eventually want to do a lift of around 2" and was just going to get an aal but I also need to increase payload cap
Old 04-18-2013, 07:25 PM   #8
ecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Streak View Post
okay so i was looking at the 981s now. They come with 2 springs for each leaf (4 total) as it looks. I can only find instructions on where to install the spring for the rear though? am i looking on the right place?
Not sure where you're looking, my 981s are one spring for each side. They go on top of the existing leaf pack (assuming we're talking about a 4x4).
Old 04-18-2013, 07:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris24 View Post
Not thread jacking, but can you tell me what the diff between these and an aal is? Or will an aal not increase payload cap? I eventually want to do a lift of around 2" and was just going to get an aal but I also need to increase payload cap
The helper springs are cheaper, but are 'on' all the time, and keep a constant tension on the existing springs. The AAL only works when the weight reaches a certain level and the existing springs are compressed enough that they rest on the added leaf. So they keep the softer ride when there's no load, but are also much more expensive.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:09 PM   #10
Ray is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement:
Ray's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris24 View Post
The Helwigs I have installed don't start to work until there is a load in the truck, then they help control squat, sway and dive. We've added them to all the trucks we've owed (2-Dakotas, a F-150 and our TRD.)

I wouldn't tow or haul a load without them.

Ray
Old 04-18-2013, 08:33 PM   #12
ee1284 is on a distinguished road
ee1284's Tacoma Gallery
Nevermind
Old 04-19-2013, 01:46 PM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoterragaia View Post
Not sure where you're looking, my 981s are one spring for each side. They go on top of the existing leaf pack (assuming we're talking about a 4x4).
Yes ended up finding it. Ended up with the 550s model. The 981s have something like a 2000k load leveling capacity and i know if i were ever to put 2000 pounds in the tacoma the breaks and axel would have a hard time keeping up id guess.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:12 PM   #15
Finally put on my hellwig 550 helper springs. For the 60 bucks off amazon, you cant go wrong. It seemed to get ride of alot of vibrations, and axle wrap as well. no pop or vibes when accelerating any more, and definatley rides smoother on the interstate.

As far as weight. i havnt really been able to test it out too much. Iv only had about 300-400 pounds of work material in it, and it definatley didnt sag as much as it used too.

Overall i would highly reccomend these for just a cheap and easy fix.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:16 PM   #17
TXPROMAN is a jewel in the roughTXPROMAN is a jewel in the roughTXPROMAN is a jewel in the rough

Name: Martin
TXPROMAN's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone added roadmaster active suspension kit to AAL ?
Old 04-26-2013, 03:25 PM   #18
Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!
bjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brad
bjboucher's Tacoma Gallery
Do the 550s just bolt on without having to take anything off? I'm going to be taking a 4,200 mile road trip this summer with probably a bed full of stuff. I'm a little worried about overloading it and hitting the bump stops the whole way. Seems like these would be perfect but I wouldn't be comfortable pulling my leafs off to install them. I'm not that mechanically inclined.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:29 PM   #19
Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!
bjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brad
bjboucher's Tacoma Gallery
Also, do these come 2 to a box or do you need to order 2 of them?
Old 04-26-2013, 05:00 PM   #20
ee1284 is on a distinguished road
ee1284's Tacoma Gallery
You don't have to remove or disassemble anything just bolt them on. The box should contain one for each side.

Products Discussed in this Thread