Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2008 Tacoma Brake Shimmy Driving Me Mad

Old 04-13-2013, 01:47 PM   #1
guitars&tacos is on a distinguished road
guitars&tacos's Tacoma Gallery
2008 Tacoma Brake Shimmy Driving Me Mad

My 2004 4 runner did the very same thing after every 30,000 miles or so where the steering wheel shimmies so bad that it vibrates your arms. My 2008 Tacoma does the exact same thing now. I put new brakes on and turn the rotors about 20,000 miles ago. Who else has this issue and have you figured out a way to remedy it? My truck feels like its going to fall apart everytime I have to brake moderately and especially hard. I wonder if better rotors will fix the issue?
Old 04-13-2013, 04:56 PM   #2
Be Good or Be Good At It
cjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to behold

cjimenRR's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to cjimenRR
I would start off by measuring the rotor run out for your discs. If its excessive that's obviously causing your vibration and I would strongly recommend getting them turned at a place that uses on-car brake lathes. If you tow a lot or have a heavy brake foot that's causing your rotors to warp so soon then I would consider slotted/drilled brake rotors
Old 04-13-2013, 07:01 PM   #3
drinking whats on sale
92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92dlxman's Tacoma Gallery
I had the same problem on my 92. I bought new rotors and did the same to them after a short period. I believe the 6 lug tacos use a fixed caliper design so that rules out a stuck caliper. what pads do you run? how are your wheel bearings? those are the only things I can think of right now that would affect the rotors
Old 04-13-2013, 09:19 PM   #4
Wishin' I was Fishin'
landphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shed

landphil's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92dlxman View Post
I had the same problem on my 92. I bought new rotors and did the same to them after a short period. I believe the 6 lug tacos use a fixed caliper design so that rules out a stuck caliper. what pads do you run? how are your wheel bearings? those are the only things I can think of right now that would affect the rotors
They use a four piston caliper which does eliminate the possibility of a seized caliper slide pin, but its still possible for a piston(s) to seize, causing drag and heat.

That said, if its an ongoing issue like that with more than one vehicle, I'd look at the common denominator. Driver braking habits.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:41 PM   #5
white08gt is just really nicewhite08gt is just really nicewhite08gt is just really nicewhite08gt is just really nice
Air Force: recip engine mechanic
Name: Al
white08gt's Tacoma Gallery
you could be over torqueing the lug nuts. impact wrench will do every time, always best to use a torque wrench. don't wash your wheels when the brakes are hot. if your rotors keep warping, buy vented rotors not drilled and make sure there is no mud caked in the brake vents. could be your driving habits, top heavy vehicle and too much speed thru the corners. the other thing, oversized tires and wheels. too much unsprung weight.