Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

HAM & CB antenna ground

Old 04-13-2013, 03:37 PM   #1
kai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kai38`'s Tacoma Gallery
HAM & CB antenna ground

I'm installing both a HAM & CB this weekend. I have antenna mount tabs on the side of a bed rack

Since the rack sits on the plastic bed rail and is mounted with the OEM tracks in the bed I don't think mounting the antennas will be grounded.
What do I need to do to install them?
Thanks for any help
Old 04-13-2013, 04:36 PM   #3
kai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kai38`'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUSETACO View Post
Some say the bed rails are grounded. You have a lot of metal there so you should be ok. Install them, test them and add a ground wire if need be. Sorry that's all I got.....
Thanks, Should I ground under the antenna mount or run a screw into the bed rack and run a ground to the frame from there?
I don't want to key the mic and maybe fry the radios if its not grounded correctly.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:43 PM   #4
Central Scrutinizer
LUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dennis
LUSETACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kai38` View Post
Thanks, Should I ground under the antenna mount or run a screw into the bed rack and run a ground to the frame from there?
I don't want to key the mic and maybe fry the radios if its not grounded correctly.
Ground the mount to the frame with as little wire as possible. I think you will be ok though. You have an SWR meter to check?
Old 04-13-2013, 04:44 PM   #5

kai38`'s Tacoma Gallery
I have access to a meter
Old 04-14-2013, 04:05 PM   #7
BarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant future

BarefootBandit's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kai38` View Post
Running a ground strap directly to the rack should work.

Just be sure that the antenna mount touches bare metal and isn't insulated by paint. Same with the connections for the ground strap.

Best way to check is to take a multi-meter and ohm it out. In the end you should see continuity between the antenna connector's ground and the frame.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:39 PM   #8
charles leandro will become famous soon enough
charles leandro's Tacoma Gallery
cb grouind

cb or sw lw requiees 208 lin ft ground for signel
Old 04-14-2013, 05:12 PM   #10
blake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Blake
blake5995's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUSETACO View Post
Wut?
X2
Old 04-14-2013, 06:59 PM   #11
TXPROMAN is a jewel in the roughTXPROMAN is a jewel in the roughTXPROMAN is a jewel in the rough

Name: Martin
TXPROMAN's Tacoma Gallery
Use a MFJ-259b antenna analyzer. It attaches to pl259 at the end of your coax. If your ground is bad. You see it on the analyzer. No need to have the radio in line like with a swr meter.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:10 PM   #12
Impressive Member
RevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
RevAdam's Tacoma Gallery
Antenna "ground" isn't an electrical ground as most people think of it... Just mount the antenna to the rack and you'll be good.

Make sure the shield side of the antenna mount has a good connection to the rack and then the rack acts as the counterpoise or image plane (ground plane) for the antenna.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:12 PM   #13
Impressive Member
RevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
RevAdam's Tacoma Gallery
...Looking at where your antenna tabs are, it's going to do interesting things with a U/VHF antenna.... Loading coils don't like being beside metal.

But it'll work....
Old 05-02-2013, 09:08 PM   #14
kd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8bao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Henry
kd8bao's Tacoma Gallery
They do make what's called ground plane independent antennas. The ground on an antenna is the ground plane. Typically the ground plane would be the roof of the vehicle as it helps to direct and radiate the signal. The GPI antenna is designed different.

Good luck.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:03 PM   #15
ZeroKingCobra is on a distinguished road
Name: Moises
ZeroKingCobra's Tacoma Gallery
What's the name of that sweet looking rack? I'm surprised no one commented on it.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:25 PM   #16

kai38`'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroKingCobra View Post
What's the name of that sweet looking rack? I'm surprised no one commented on it.
The bed rack was made by http://anbcustomfabrication.webs.com/apps/webstore/

They also make one that's shipable
They will soon be making a rear bumper with dual swing outs for my Tacoma
Old 06-18-2013, 07:07 PM   #17
ZeroKingCobra is on a distinguished road
Name: Moises
ZeroKingCobra's Tacoma Gallery
What Version is yours bolts or welded, is the middle vertical pole slightly located more to the rear of the truck, if so I like that.

I wonder with abit of ingenuity it can be place onto a 2002 Tacoma or fab to it fit it.

Thanks for The Reply.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:55 PM   #18

kai38`'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroKingCobra View Post
What Version is yours bolts or welded, is the middle vertical pole slightly located more to the rear of the truck, if so I like that.

I wonder with abit of ingenuity it can be place onto a 2002 Tacoma or fab to it fit it.

Thanks for The Reply.
Mine is the welded version, I had it made a little taller then he usually makes them so my RTT would clear the roof
The bars are evenly spaced but he can adjust it for your needs