Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Is this Auto LSD at work? (Video clip)

Old 04-14-2013, 12:31 PM   #1
littleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
littleblue81's Tacoma Gallery
Is this Auto LSD at work? (Video clip)

Below is a video clip of a 2012 Taco TRD Offroad in the snow. I see both wheels spinning as if it has a lsd. Is this the auto lsd at work? And for anyone who has experience with it, do you feel/hear the brake working in the car? I would imagine at the speed the wheels are going here it would sound really crazy...?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPBdjDuYa9c
Old 04-14-2013, 12:36 PM   #2
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like you are seeing LSD at work. (Not the drug...lol) At a few points when he was going slow, you could actually see one of the wheels as it spun/gripped/spun/gripped.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:20 PM   #3
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
I can hear mine working.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:28 PM   #4
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Trd Offroad = locker also......
Old 04-14-2013, 06:08 PM   #5
nathan3306 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: AMMO
Name: Nathan
nathan3306's Tacoma Gallery
That video convinced me to buy my taco...
Old 04-14-2013, 09:02 PM   #6
littleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
littleblue81's Tacoma Gallery
I'm just assuming he didn't do the any time locker mod. But if that is the "auto" lsd, it looks to be working pretty well.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:06 AM   #7

This may be a stupid question but will this Auto LSD funtion the same for the front as it does the rear? Not talking about ATRAC but similar, just weaker I suppose?
Old 04-15-2013, 04:23 PM   #8
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan3306 View Post
This may be a stupid question but will this Auto LSD funtion the same for the front as it does the rear? Not talking about ATRAC but similar, just weaker I suppose?
In H4, yes...

I am not sure of the change made in 2012, but on 2009-2011 the drive mode 'AUTO LSD' was only a 2WD feature and meant TRACtion control but without engine output regulation. In H4, it is (was) called TRAC and is also without any engine regulation, for the most effect. TRAC in H2 has regulation.

In 2012, there may have been an addition in H4 of TRAC (with regulation) and the former unregulated TRAC in H4 is now called AUTO LSD, in H4...?

In either case, the traction control in H4 is on the FRONT and REAR tires, no matter if you call it TRAC or AUTO LSD.

This is why the 4 LO TRAC MOD is so popular for the non Off Road TRD trucks... it provided limited slip to the front tires in L4. Not nearly as firm as A-TRAC, but a world better than just an open front differential in L4.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:29 PM   #9
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleblue81 View Post
I'm just assuming he didn't do the any time locker mod. But if that is the "auto" lsd, it looks to be working pretty well.
If the traction is the same under both tires, then both will spin. Off Road or on wet roads this is not always true, and one tire will spin and you may be stuck. A limited slip transfers some of that spin over to the 'good' tire so it turns and moves you.

AUTO LSD is a manual system in H2, that has no regulation to the engine output... so more power to the good tire. Otherwise, the TRAC system is standard and will limit the tire spin by reducing engine output, instead of just braking the spinning tire. So, if you are stuck with TRAC, then press the VSC switch once quickly to activate AUTO LSD and try and drive away from the stuck. If that doesn't work, then I hope you have a 4WD!
Old 04-15-2013, 05:45 PM   #10

Thanks David K. One day I will get to test it out but until then, I want to learn more about the truck.