1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rust specks all over body??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Sgtfluffy16, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Apr 14, 2013 at 9:13 PM
    Sgtfluffy16

Sgtfluffy16 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    PA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport
    20% tint, HID headlights/ yellow fog light bulbs and LED lights interior/exterior lights. 4.5 Inch RCD lift, 1 Piece custom driveshaft, AEM intake, Dynomax Exhaust, Amp research Moto-bed extender, Extang Express tonno.
    Okay so im trying to find out if I'm the only one here or not. But I take care of my vehicles as much as I can. I'm very anal when it comes to cleanliness of my vehicles inside and out. Now I bought my superwhite 07 taco 2 or 3 years ago now and Im having a strange issue. After this winter and last winter I have notice like specks of rust ALL over the ENTIRE truck. They rub off with some serious elbow power and a clay bar but its A TON of work to get it all off. And its just little bits of rust specks/spots all over the truck I know its not the truck that is rusting because they appear on the front plastic fenders and on the Fender flares themselves. Now I live in Harrisburg PA area. I dont know if its metal that I am running over on my road and it just sticks to the truck and the first rain it makes rust speckles all over the truck. But I dont work in anywhere that " LOTS " of little metal pieces or shavings that I could be going to. So I'm wondering if its in the road salt that penndot puts down. I usually only notice it right after a good CLEANING of the truck after winter.

So does anyone else have this issue?? Or am I just " a lucky fellow " taco owner?

2. Apr 14, 2013 at 9:17 PM
    bullaculla

bullaculla IKA fabrications

Member:
    Da big big island!
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB Tacoma 4X4 TRD Off Road
    All pro 3 link SAS kit, Diamond axle, kings on 37" MTR/K
    Rail dust?
    I had stains all over the white plastic on my supermoto cause I used to ride to work. Lots of metal in the air at a naval shipyard.

3. Apr 14, 2013 at 9:19 PM
    Sgtfluffy16

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    PA
    Vehicle:
    20% tint, HID headlights/ yellow fog light bulbs and LED lights interior/exterior lights. 4.5 Inch RCD lift, 1 Piece custom driveshaft, AEM intake, Dynomax Exhaust, Amp research Moto-bed extender, Extang Express tonno.
    I dunno? where does "rail dust" come from ?

4. Apr 14, 2013 at 9:20 PM
    bullaculla

Member:
    Da big big island!
    Vehicle:
    Trains. If cars sit next to train tracks for awhile, they will get some rail dust.

5. Apr 14, 2013 at 9:20 PM
    lvstickers

lvstickers Battle Born Toyotas- Founder

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    13 MGM 4X4 SR5
    Fox 2.5 Coilovers w/resis and DSC Bilstein 5100s with AAL in rear Total Chaos UCAs Total Chaos LCA Skids 17" Method Standard Wheels Hankook MTs 315/70/17 Custom Prerunner Style Bumper Custom Tire Carrier 30" Toughlight Lightbar Rigid Dually Pods Viair Onboard Air
    Any place that uses road salt in the winter, you'll run into this, especially if you have a Super White Taco. Something in the mixture gets up onto your truck and doesn't actually oxidize your paint, but oxidizes itself onto your truck, leaving behind tiny little rust spots all over. They can be easily removed, but just like you said, if you have a lot of them, it can be a PITA.

6. Apr 14, 2013 at 9:23 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Yup... road salts or rail dust.

Rail dust is the dust created by the wheels rolling on the rails, and the brakes wearing on the wheels. It's why everything around railroad yards/facilities (as well as welding shops) has a reddish tone to it.

Only way to keep it under control is regular wax stripping and claybar treatment, followed by re-waxing to help protect the paint.

7. Apr 14, 2013 at 9:25 PM
    bullaculla

Member:
    Da big big island!
    Vehicle:
    Its usually called fallout, but people always think of radiation when you say that :D

8. Apr 14, 2013 at 9:33 PM
    Sgtfluffy16

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    PA
    Vehicle:
    no rail cars near me.. But its crazy work to get it off.. I try and keep the truck with a good wax at least once a year but sometimes up to 3 times a year.. I just did a google search on it. Anyone use the Iron removers that you are to put on the paint? Its supposed to help loosen the rail dust, then you clay bar, followed by a good waxing

9. Apr 14, 2013 at 9:40 PM
    ValleyTacoma

ValleyTacoma Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRD 4x4 Inferno
    32" Toyo M/T's, more to come...
    It can also be caused by the snowplow blade hitting the road, you can sometimes see it sparking. When it hits the road little metal shavings come off and then get splashed up on to your truck and when they rust they stain your paint. A light polish will get rid of them easily enough. A common issue with white unfortunately.

10. Apr 14, 2013 at 9:44 PM
    bullaculla

Member:
    Da big big island!
    Vehicle:
    They seem to come off easily enough with just a good clay bar job.
    I have never tried, or heard of that stuff.
    BTW, just regular brake dust can cause rust specks too. There is a some steel in brake pads, and as the rotors wear, the material has to go somewhere too.
    Good luck! :D

11. Apr 14, 2013 at 9:51 PM
    AaronArf

AaronArf Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    VA Beach
    Vehicle:
    2023 LR OR DCSB
    Should be an easy fix! It could be rail dust, or even you had some metal on metal brake pad going on, grinding near the truck etc. The metal embeds itself into the paint.

Wash the truck with some Dawn (Only to strip the wax!!!)
    Get a Clay bar kit, with lube and follow the directions. Going in one direction. I split the bar in half. If you drop it discard immediately.
    I usually re-wash with car soap.
    Follow up with some wax to protect the paint and make it bling.

12. Apr 14, 2013 at 9:57 PM
    Sgtfluffy16

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    PA
    Vehicle:
    I have raybestos professional grade rotors and hawk pads and the 285's just BARELY stick out past the fenders so I can agree to that. The stuff is call " ironX ".. supposed to work great then follow it with clay bay and of course then a wax. The way I do detailing is.

1. A very good, very through hand wash
    2. I dont dry the car but go directly to clay barring
    3. rinse the entire car
    4. Another hand car wash.
    5. Shamie dry the car
    6. Air dry 65 mph down the the road
    7. and wax!

Its a good 5 or 6 hour process depending on how bar the car/truck is and how big. But thats my normal routine to doing a detail

13. Apr 14, 2013 at 9:59 PM
    Sgtfluffy16

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    PA
    Vehicle:
    So now I guess I do a good through wash, then this iron x stuff, then another wash, then claybar, then wash again, dry, drive air dry. and then wax

14. Apr 16, 2013 at 7:22 PM
    tfeltz73

tfeltz73 That's greasy Ricky

Member:
    central Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2013 supercharged long travel thing
    I have the exact same problem in Wisconsin and its annoying, I've tried clay bars but it takes a whole day to do a good job. It must be something with the salt on the roads or rust from other vehicles

15. Apr 16, 2013 at 7:35 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    I see this on my rear bumper, too. Thought the chrome was pitting, but it wiped off after a few minutes with a Scotchbrite pad.

16. Apr 16, 2013 at 9:07 PM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    I'm in Carlisle Pa Sgtfluffy16. We're probably about 25 minutes or so from each other. I have experienced this myself, but only when driving in the iron ore rich mountains out here around Pine Grove Furnace State Park (which is in between Carlisle and Newville).

I was out driving around one day in the mountains when it was really wet out. Then I noticed when washing my truck it had rust all over it. Only had like 30k miles at the time, about a year or so ago. I got super paranoid and thought my truck was rusting away, then I noticed rust on the plastic fenders.

I personally didn't do any of the clay bar work, just waxing about twice a year. At this point the paint is in pretty good condition. I did notice a couple weeks ago some little spots on the tailgate that I assume are from the iron ore.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  17. Apr 16, 2013 at 9:21 PM
    Sgtfluffy16

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    PA
    Vehicle:
    yes carlisle is about 15-20 mins away. I noticed it really easily on my truck and literally i spent 4-5 hours JUST claying one side of the truck... im gonna order some Iron X soon and give it a try

18. May 6, 2013 at 6:49 PM
    yesmar

yesmar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ramsey
    Harrisburg, PA
    Vehicle:
    A couple cars
    Harrisburg pa here. we get this too. I was always under the impression its brake dust getting on the car/truck and flash rusting by whatever they spread on the roads here in the winter. its a pain in the ass to get off a white vehicle, clay bar and patience.
    Run it through a touchless car wash once a week in the winter to try to keep up with it. You shouldn't have much problems the rest of the year.

19. May 6, 2013 at 7:44 PM
    HXC

HXC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 white Dbl cab 4x4 6spd man.
    My truck has it too. I took it to the dealership and they had their detailer look at it he said it was fallout and that it can come off. I told him i didnt believe it and he took it back and did a few of the spots i showed him. It came off and it looks good, when I get back from deployment i will take it in and have them do the whole truck.

20. May 6, 2013 at 8:00 PM
    shibubba

shibubba Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB 6spd. Lotsa stuff.
    Kings Dakars 285/75r16 duratracs CBI rear bumper blah blah
    Funny. I just clay barred my truck and re waxed this weekend. Own a super white 2013. It only has 2000kms on it. That would eliminate the snowplow idea ( at least for now ). The plows have not been out for months.

I assume it is rail dust from when they transport the trucks from texas to the rest of north america.

What I did
    1) Washed with alkaline car wash
    2) clay bared the entire truck
    3) re washed
    4)Waxed with autoglim HD wax. Looks awesome.

Buddy has a super white tacoma as well, he has rust specs in his paint as well.

Products Discussed in

To Top