1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Poser question: Offroad bumpers w/o lifting

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by chillindrdude, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Apr 15, 2013 at 4:48 AM
    chillindrdude

chillindrdude [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Neil
    DC metro
    Vehicle:
    06 Toyota Tacoma TRD
    Hope i don't get flamed for this.

I use my taco to access trails for shuttling MTBs and dirtbiking. The roads are typically dirt/gravel logging roads.

So basically nothing gnarly. But i'd like to get a rear plate bumper (for sure) and possibly a front plate bumper for the Taco.

This is the catch however, since this is also my daily driver, it has to clear the parking garage supplied to me for my work. I work in the city, so finding alternative parking is not possible (and wouldn't be free). I was planning on keeping the truck at it's stock height. I do plan on putting on some meatier rubber.

So my question: will a non-lifted truck "look" stupid with offroad bumpers? if any of you have a non-lifted truck with offroad bumpers, i'd like to see them.

apologies for the vanity.

2. Apr 15, 2013 at 4:53 AM
    Hoxtongue

Hoxtongue Member

Member:
    Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 SR5 4x4
    Duratrac Tires
    I am thinking along the same idea, I look at it that you can also see it as a safety factor. Take a look at the pics of rear end collisions or deer hits with the stock bumper versus an aftermarket one.

Depending on the size/weight of the replacement you may need to beef up your suspension to handle the added weight.

3. Apr 15, 2013 at 6:06 AM
    jeremy_283

jeremy_283 Super Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad Access Cab 4x4 Auto 4.0L
    Hella Rallye 4000 Cornering Lights PIAA 510 Fog Lights All Pro Front Bumper All Pro Rear Bumper All Pro Transfer Case Skid All Pro IFS Skid All Pro Rock Sliders All Pro High Clearance Hitch OME Dakar Leaf Springs OME Rear Shocks OME Front Shocks OME 885 Front Coils Wet Okole Seat Covers WeatherTech Floor Liners Sony Head Unit JL XD600/1 Amp 2 JL Audio 10” Subwoofers Custom Subwoofer Enclosure Kenwood Front Speakers Sony Rear Speakers Sound Deadening Mats LED Interior Lighting Pop N’ Lock Tailgate Lock Viper Alarm System Extra D-Rings In Truck Bed Maglite Seat Mount Disable Seatbelt Chime Rear Differential Breather Relocation Hi-Lift Bed Mount Flexible Front Mud Flaps 110v Inverter Always At 400w ABS Kill Switch Locking Center Console Removed Sway Bar
    I put OME coils and new leaf packs on with my plate bumpers... with new struts too. It doesnt look very lifted to me. If you have a reason to need plate bumpers, get them.

4. Apr 15, 2013 at 6:11 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    Good question, kinda..

If looks should be your concern, why bother if someone else thinks it's not aesthetically pleasing? If you like it, go for it. I would personally beef up the suspension unless you do an aluminum front bumper. The rear plate bumpers (unless you get a HC version) are usually the same weight as the OEM rear bumper. You don't necessarily need a lift for plate bumpers, but I would throw some eibach coils with 5100s @ "0" so the front won't sag.

Products Discussed in

To Top