Notices

Poser question: Offroad bumpers w/o lifting

Old 04-15-2013, 04:48 AM   #1
chillindrdude is on a distinguished road
Name: Neil
chillindrdude's Tacoma Gallery
Poser question: Offroad bumpers w/o lifting

Hope i don't get flamed for this.

I use my taco to access trails for shuttling MTBs and dirtbiking. The roads are typically dirt/gravel logging roads.

So basically nothing gnarly. But i'd like to get a rear plate bumper (for sure) and possibly a front plate bumper for the Taco.

This is the catch however, since this is also my daily driver, it has to clear the parking garage supplied to me for my work. I work in the city, so finding alternative parking is not possible (and wouldn't be free). I was planning on keeping the truck at it's stock height. I do plan on putting on some meatier rubber.

So my question: will a non-lifted truck "look" stupid with offroad bumpers? if any of you have a non-lifted truck with offroad bumpers, i'd like to see them.

apologies for the vanity.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:53 AM   #2
Hoxtongue is on a distinguished road
Hoxtongue's Tacoma Gallery
I am thinking along the same idea, I look at it that you can also see it as a safety factor. Take a look at the pics of rear end collisions or deer hits with the stock bumper versus an aftermarket one.

Depending on the size/weight of the replacement you may need to beef up your suspension to handle the added weight.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:11 AM   #4
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillindrdude View Post
Hope i don't get flamed for this.

I use my taco to access trails for shuttling MTBs and dirtbiking. The roads are typically dirt/gravel logging roads.

So basically nothing gnarly. But i'd like to get a rear plate bumper (for sure) and possibly a front plate bumper for the Taco.

This is the catch however, since this is also my daily driver, it has to clear the parking garage supplied to me for my work. I work in the city, so finding alternative parking is not possible (and wouldn't be free). I was planning on keeping the truck at it's stock height. I do plan on putting on some meatier rubber.

So my question: will a non-lifted truck "look" stupid with offroad bumpers? if any of you have a non-lifted truck with offroad bumpers, i'd like to see them.

apologies for the vanity.
Good question, kinda..

If looks should be your concern, why bother if someone else thinks it's not aesthetically pleasing? If you like it, go for it. I would personally beef up the suspension unless you do an aluminum front bumper. The rear plate bumpers (unless you get a HC version) are usually the same weight as the OEM rear bumper. You don't necessarily need a lift for plate bumpers, but I would throw some eibach coils with 5100s @ "0" so the front won't sag.