Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Event data recorder?

Old 04-15-2013, 12:00 PM   #23
Monkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud of
Marines:
Monkeyboy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetman1979 View Post
Does anyone know if the 2nd gen Tacos have one of those event data recorders? If so were is it located? For the people that have never heard of this it is like a black box on a airplane. It records everything like if you are wearing seat belts, speed, brake position, clutch engagment, etc.
Insurance companys love them it gives them info to not pay out on a claim.
It does. It is part of the ECU, although I don't know exactly where it stores the data. The truck also records whenever a VSC/ABS or similar event happens, but it only retains the last 4 instances of those events.

If you have Techstream, you can view it - although, you cannot erase it. I'm pretty sure they survive a total power loss, but I haven't specifically looked.

So far as I know, there are no legal ramifications to tampering with the data. But it seems sort of pointless to try - as a rule, the facts of an accident will be abundantly in evidence regardless of whatever the ECU might say. It would probably only be useful to you as an exculpatory measure, or as evidence in a civil suit.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #24
Taco Sauce
Yota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of light
Yota Toy's Tacoma Gallery
The data recorder (the ECU) and the data itself is your property, period. It takes a court order to retrieve the data and use it in a court room. Yes, you can "destroy" the data at your own discretion.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:31 PM   #25
Jetman1979 is on a distinguished road
Navy: E-6 retired
Name: Michael
Jetman1979's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
Lol I know where this is going. Good luck with the insurance op!
No I did not have a wreck or anything I just am trying to learn my truck. I want to be able to say what a part is when and if someone asks. My truck is fine. I also dont plan on destroying it or even tampering with it I am pretty sure it is quite a compicated system.