Notices

Event data recorder?

Old 04-15-2013, 08:03 AM   #1
Jetman1979 is on a distinguished road
Navy: E-6 retired
Name: Michael
Jetman1979's Tacoma Gallery
Event data recorder?

Does anyone know if the 2nd gen Tacos have one of those event data recorders? If so were is it located? For the people that have never heard of this it is like a black box on a airplane. It records everything like if you are wearing seat belts, speed, brake position, clutch engagment, etc.
Insurance companys love them it gives them info to not pay out on a claim.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:06 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Yes. All vehicles have them now. They record a 30 second loop of info.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:38 AM   #4
mbrogz3000 has a spectacular aura aboutmbrogz3000 has a spectacular aura about
Name: Matt
mbrogz3000's Tacoma Gallery
The key thing to realize is that the data that gets stored during an accident is basically property of Toyota which you agree to by driving the vehicle, and can potentially be released to a court when a summons is made. If the data shows, or at least indicates, that a driver was essentially driving at unsafe speeds (which in the court's eyes is anything above the posted limit), didn't attempt to depress the brake pedal, had the steering wheel turned (or not turned) to a specific angle (attempting to drift??) or was performing deliberately unsafe maneveurs a ruling can be made NOT in your favor to..

Also, every time a driver deliberatly peel out or spins the rear wheels which engages the VSC.. or deliberaltely slams on the brakes for whatever reason (brake checking that tailgator??) which engages ABS (or ABS is engaged on snow), that event is tallied as a record and stored for a period in the form of 'vehicle starts' which can be tracked backwards from the date of an accident. Once the data is interpretted and a typical driving profile is assembled on the driver's habits, this can also be used against the driver. I am not sure if these are cleared by disconnecting the battery or not.

Just some things to keep in mind.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:39 AM   #5
Jetman1979 is on a distinguished road
Navy: E-6 retired
Name: Michael
Jetman1979's Tacoma Gallery
So were is this box located? I just want to see what this thing looks like.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:00 AM   #6
anotherreject has much to be proud ofanotherreject has much to be proud ofanotherreject has much to be proud ofanotherreject has much to be proud ofanotherreject has much to be proud ofanotherreject has much to be proud ofanotherreject has much to be proud ofanotherreject has much to be proud ofanotherreject has much to be proud of
anotherreject's Tacoma Gallery
So if one were to locate the recorder, and one were to find a way to erase or destroy data on the recorder, what laws would one be violating?....i wrecked a company vehicle before and they had all the info from the recorder and used it to fry me
Old 04-15-2013, 09:10 AM   #8
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
This is interesting
Old 04-15-2013, 09:16 AM   #9
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
Lol I know where this is going. Good luck with the insurance op!
x2
Old 04-15-2013, 09:20 AM   #10
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Yes. All vehicles have them now. They record a 30 second loop of info.
Seems like 30 seconds wouldn't be enough. What happens if you wreck, leave the truck running for another minute, then the data gets written over? Wouldn't it make sense to record like 30 min or even 5 min? Does it go into lock mode or something when it senses a wreck?

I plan on getting a dash cam for my truck (all the idiots driving around DC metro area it's when, not if, I get taken out by a moron)
Old 04-15-2013, 10:04 AM   #11
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Just another infringement on my rights and privacy !!
Old 04-15-2013, 10:06 AM   #12
rtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
rtn1911's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joneill03 View Post
I plan on getting a dash cam for my truck (all the idiots driving around DC metro area it's when, not if, I get taken out by a moron)
I've been thinking about one of these too. Ever since the meteor in Russia.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:08 AM   #13
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtn1911 View Post
I've been thinking about one of these too. Ever since the meteor in Russia.
Me too
Old 04-15-2013, 10:13 AM   #16

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg256 View Post
Planning to record nibiru?
Why yes I am
Old 04-15-2013, 10:15 AM   #17
Calmer than you are
jmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Al Tonter
jmg256's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Why yes I am
But who will see it? We will all be destroyed, no?
Old 04-15-2013, 10:16 AM   #18
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
There are laws governing the retrieval of EDR data. Read up.
http://www.ncsl.org/issues-research/...recorders.aspx

As far as I know, the EDR's function isn't checked as part of any state's safety inspection.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #19

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg256 View Post
We will all be destroyed, no?
Yes , you will
Old 04-15-2013, 10:25 AM   #20

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
Won't the cities on the moon still exist?
Yes