Delta00's 2002 Tacoma 4WD

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Installed: Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-15-2013, 03:20 PM   #1
DocsTacoma is a splendid one to beholdDocsTacoma is a splendid one to beholdDocsTacoma is a splendid one to beholdDocsTacoma is a splendid one to beholdDocsTacoma is a splendid one to beholdDocsTacoma is a splendid one to beholdDocsTacoma is a splendid one to behold

DocsTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up Installed: Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags

After recently installing Bilstein 5100s (set at 1.75") in the front, I started experiencing severe sagging in the rear when towing. After doing some research (on here of course ) I came to the conclusion that installing the Firestone Ride Rite Air Bag system would resolve this.

Installation took me over 4 hours (I'm not that technically inclined and have really shitty tools lol), but could easily be done in under 2 hours!

My rig: 2012 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport 4WD Short Bed (with rear TSB 4 leaf springs).

After filling both bags to about 20 psi, I was able to get an inch of added height (before: 22" from center of wheel cap to fender; after: 23").

I did notice a very slight/slow air leak on the driver side and will have to troubleshoot this further. More than likely, I'm thinking it's the air valve that screws in ontop of the air bags.

Surprisingly, driving around town (at 20 psi) I really didn't notice any decrease (i.e. stiffness) in ride quality; if anything it's about the same as it was before. Of course, I haven't loaded anything in the back of the truck nor towed with this setup yet. Will definitely be back to post my experience after towing, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Installed: Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags-slide-1.jpg   Installed: Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags-slide-2.jpg   Installed: Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags-slide-3.jpg   Installed: Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags-slide-4.jpg   Installed: Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags-slide-5.jpg  

Installed: Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags-slide-6.jpg   Installed: Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags-slide-7.jpg   Installed: Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags-slide-8.jpg  
Old 04-15-2013, 05:43 PM   #2
fla taco is on a distinguished road

fla taco's Tacoma Gallery
Great looking rig and great pics of your install. Wanting to add the ride rites to my 05. Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:18 PM   #3
Rotorpilot has much to be proud ofRotorpilot has much to be proud ofRotorpilot has much to be proud ofRotorpilot has much to be proud ofRotorpilot has much to be proud ofRotorpilot has much to be proud ofRotorpilot has much to be proud ofRotorpilot has much to be proud ofRotorpilot has much to be proud of

Rotorpilot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fla taco View Post
Great looking rig and great pics of your install. Thanks for sharing.
x2

looks great with that small amount of rake!

nice Blaster(s) too...no reverse though. lol
Old 04-15-2013, 09:27 PM   #4
cooktaco is a glorious beacon of lightcooktaco is a glorious beacon of lightcooktaco is a glorious beacon of lightcooktaco is a glorious beacon of lightcooktaco is a glorious beacon of lightcooktaco is a glorious beacon of light

cooktaco's Tacoma Gallery
Put ride rites on my OR last week. I have the TSB rear springs and it sagged pretty bad pulling a 3k trailer. Ride-rites completely fixed the problem and no more sag with the trailer hooked up. Ride seems a little better than before. With about 10-15 psi there is no body roll and 20-25 psi cures the sag. Pretty happy with them.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:31 PM   #5
lockwire24 is on a distinguished road

Navy: GSM2
Name: Mark
lockwire24's Tacoma Gallery
To help with your troubleshooting use soapy water. We use it all the time when testing air valves at work and the instruction suggest it. I did when doing my bags.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:20 PM   #6
Agro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud of
Agro's Tacoma Gallery
+1 on the soapy water in a spray bottle.
I had a leak on the passenger side. I found out it was at the L valve on top of the bag. I took it out and applied some pipe dope, screwed it back in and it is 100% good to go.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:22 PM   #7
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Good job, you'll like them
Old 04-16-2013, 03:08 AM   #8
Rotorpilot has much to be proud ofRotorpilot has much to be proud ofRotorpilot has much to be proud ofRotorpilot has much to be proud ofRotorpilot has much to be proud ofRotorpilot has much to be proud ofRotorpilot has much to be proud ofRotorpilot has much to be proud ofRotorpilot has much to be proud of

what was the cost of the project?
Old 04-16-2013, 07:56 AM   #9
DocsTacoma is a splendid one to beholdDocsTacoma is a splendid one to beholdDocsTacoma is a splendid one to beholdDocsTacoma is a splendid one to beholdDocsTacoma is a splendid one to beholdDocsTacoma is a splendid one to beholdDocsTacoma is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorpilot View Post
x2

looks great with that small amount of rake!

nice Blaster(s) too...no reverse though. lol
I think it's more of the angle of the picture I took; it sits perfectly level with no rake...

Exactly the look I was going for
Old 04-16-2013, 07:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agro View Post
+1 on the soapy water in a spray bottle.
I had a leak on the passenger side. I found out it was at the L valve on top of the bag. I took it out and applied some pipe dope, screwed it back in and it is 100% good to go.
Thanks for the tip!

I'm thinking exactly the same thing; the valve on top of the bags may not be screwed in all the way. Will take a look at it later today, and tighten it down some more!
Old 04-16-2013, 08:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorpilot View Post
what was the cost of the project?
Cost for the kit was: $300 (free shipping)!

I called around to find out about installation costs, and was quoted around $200 (2-hour job), so I decided to do it myself
Old 04-16-2013, 12:01 PM   #13
forana will become famous soon enoughforana will become famous soon enough
forana's Tacoma Gallery
You have separate valves for each bag? I have air bags on my 4runner and I used a t-connection to use only one valve. That way they naturally equilibrize. might thing about that.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:18 PM   #14
550kawirider is on a distinguished road

Name: Bryceson
550kawirider's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by forana View Post
You have separate valves for each bag? I have air bags on my 4runner and I used a t-connection to use only one valve. That way they naturally equilibrize. might thing about that.
They recommend running the bags independent from one another due to body roll when cornering. The bag under compression forces the air into the other air bag. I've ran both setups and did notice a bit of body roll running a t-fitting.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:22 PM   #15
toyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Darrell
toyotaman29's Tacoma Gallery
Good job doing them yourself and great pics also...
Old 04-17-2013, 03:29 AM   #16

if you put a level on your bedrail it reads level?
must be the angle of the pic or my eyes...lol
looking into this project for mine!
Old 04-17-2013, 07:13 AM   #17
Throbbing Member
B737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
B737's Tacoma Gallery
I had these on my ranger and loved them. regarding your slow air leak, dont fuss with the soap yet, as someone else posted, get a valve stem core tool at local parts store, and just tighten down the valve cores with the little tool. My new air bag slowly leaked until i did this as well and it never gave me troubles again.

on my ranger, 10-15 pounds with 'no load', did in fact stiffen the ride up. but i liked the versatility for when i needed it.

you guys think our tacos sag, my ranger was worse while only carrying 3-4 sand bags in the back.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:25 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 550kawirider View Post
Nice job OP! Ive had my ride rites in for 3 years with no problems. They help out a lot when I have my 400lb Yamaha Raptor in the bed! I have my bags tied into my on-board air system and can inflate and deflate the bags from the cab.
Thanks man! I was strongly considering getting an on-board air system (with in cab gauges and remote), but really didn't want to exceed my budget (or technical ability); money saved is money spent on other mods lol...

Can't wait to really test it out with a fully loaded trailer!
Old 04-17-2013, 09:27 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by forana View Post
Thanks for the tip!

I definitely thought about that, but based on my research, I felt I could get more precise and accurate levelingby excluding the t-connection(especially for uneven loads, etc.).

Products Discussed in this Thread