Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2013 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Wire Fog Lights

Old 04-15-2013, 06:44 PM   #1
dhmanofsteel is on a distinguished road
Name: Danny
dhmanofsteel's Tacoma Gallery
2013 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Wire Fog Lights

Hi, I am new to the forum so I apologize if this has been covered. I just bought a new 2013 Tacoma 2WD Dbl Cab V6. I see that it appears to have the wires already pre-installed for fog lights as I can see them tie-strapped above the back of the headlights. I also have a location in the smaller fuse box that I can see the contacts for a relay. I don't know yet if the fog light switch wire is behind the blank to the left of the steering wheel. From what I have read, it looks like all I will need for OEM fog lights are the lights, a relay, and switch. The Toyota dealership told me that it would cost a couple thousand to add fog lights, don't sound quite right to me with the factory wires on the truck. Any info would really be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:01 AM   #3
After several months, I finally got my fog lights installed in my 2013 Tacoma PreRunner. My truck is a V6 Dbl cab and was pre-wired for fog lights. I wanted to update here because this Forum has been so helpful. I ordered the kit from Toyota of McDonough, John is a very nice person to deal with and so helpful.

1. I installed the fog lights from the kit from Toyota of McDonough. The lights fit perfectly in the slots in the bumper and I used the pre-wiring taped up behind the bumper. They plugged straight in and look great. The kit is for 2012-2013 Toyota Tacoma.

2. I did not choose to run all the harness wire from that kit, although it came with everything needed. I wanted to plug and play using my factory pre-wire.

3. I ordered part numbers: 84160-04020 for the switch that goes in the dash, and 90080-87026, for the relay that goes under the hood in the smaller fuse box. I ordered all of these parts from John at Toyota of McDonough, they had the best price with quick shipping.

I removed the scuff plate on the floor on the drivers side, I just easily pulled it straight up, it has clips. Then, I removed the foot rest, it pulls straight up, it is clipped also. Then I unscrewed (by hand) the kick panel trim clip, it is a small black round retainer on the floor by the foot rest, I removed the kick panel, it pulls toward the BACK of the truck, it has only two clips and slides out. There are two 10mm screws that hold the lower part of the dash on. I removed the one on the left, easily seen, and there was a small access door on the right bottom side, if you lift this, remove that 10mm bolt.

The lower dash just un-snapped, and I dropped it down enough to get my finger in behind the upper dash switch blank, the one to the far left, and pushed it out. (upper set of switch blanks) The wiring plug for the fog lights was snapped to the back of the far left switch blank. I unplugged the switch blank and pugged the new Toyota Switch in and snapped it back into the hole. Put everything back together.

Under the hood, there is a smaller fuse box next to the large main fuse box. I removed the cover on the smaller fuse box, looked inside the cover to see the location of the fog light relay. I saw the terminals inside, and snapped the new Toyota Relay in that slot and replaced the cover.

Started the engine, turned the lights on, hit the low beam switch and the fog light switch, the fogs came on!!! All prewiring was there and it was truly plug and play.

Thanks for all the info on this Forum, I wanted to share how mine worked out.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:55 AM   #4
nd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
nd4spdbh's Tacoma Gallery
check the link in my sig to run the fog lights when ever you want!
Old 02-26-2014, 06:14 PM   #5
snw1001 is on a distinguished road
snw1001's Tacoma Gallery
You said that it was prewired behind the lights.... do you have a picture of that? I can't seem to find any prewiring.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:21 PM   #6
ScottInOKC is on a distinguished road

Army: 45th Infantry Brigade
Name: Scott
ScottInOKC's Tacoma Gallery
I bought the lights ($35) and relay ($10) from eBay, the switch from the dealer ($55), and spent about an hour installing them. I'm happy with the results.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:57 PM   #7
cholland is on a distinguished road
cholland's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by snw1001 View Post
You said that it was prewired behind the lights.... do you have a picture of that? I can't seem to find any prewiring.
Open the hood, grab a flashlight and look in the area behind the headlights, down toward where the fog lights would be.
My wiring was folded back on itself and taped with some electrical tape.
Look close you should see a loop of that black harness sleeving just below where the wires come out to go to the headlights.
Might have to feel around with your hand a bit, there will be a plug on the end that plugs right into the foglights.
I've heard some of the 4cyl models do not come pre-wired.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:23 AM   #9
When I took a flashlight and looked up behind the bumper, more up towards the back of the headlights, I could see the wire loom and plug for the foglights. Mine was more easily seen on the drivers side. They were taped up but came loose easily when I pulled on them. I ordered my fog lights from John at Toyota of McDonough, he is very good to deal with. I ordered my relay and switch from there as well. From what I have read, some of the 4cylinders are not prewired, mine is a V6 PreRunner Dbl Cab. Mine also looks like it is also prewired for a backup camera which I am researching now to install. If you are prewired, like some of the other postings, you can get the lights, switch, and relay off Ebay really cheap. I chose to get mine from Toytoa of McDonough, costed me around 260.00 total. If you are not prewired for the fogs, check with John at Toyota of McDonough, they have a kit, with the harness that looks really easy to install, it has everything in it with really good instructions. I just used the prewire in my truck. Thanks to everyone who contributed to this post. This Forum is so very helpful and some really good folks who share information. Good Luck.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:35 AM   #10
junkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant future
Name: Erik
junkman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5vic View Post
My 2013 sr5 2tr wasn't pre wired.
Same with mine.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:27 AM   #11
fooman is on a distinguished road

fooman's Tacoma Gallery
Is this fog light wiring?

Is this wiring for the fog light or something else? These pics are of area behind driver side headlight, 2014 SR PreRunner 4 cyl. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
2013 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Wire Fog Lights-img-20140514-00664.jpg   2013 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Wire Fog Lights-img-20140515-00666.jpg