Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tips for finding a specific model Tacoma?

Old 04-15-2013, 07:35 PM   #1
Certified Eccentric
Loki is on a distinguished road

Loki's Tacoma Gallery
Tips for finding a specific model Tacoma?

Hello all!

I am looking for a very specific model/pkg/color/etc Tacoma, and was hoping one of you brilliant, awesome people might know of some websites or methods I could try.

Here are the places I've been haunting the past few months:
-craigslist.org
-cars.com
-kbb.com
-automotive.com
-ebay/ebay classifieds
-cargurus.com
-local Toyota dealerships (and carfinder)
-local repo auctions

I'd love to hear any tips or suggestions! For example, how did you guys find your trucks? What places do you check? Any nifty super-dealer-classified-aggregate sites out there?

The two Tacomas I've owned in the past (an 01' and an 06') I found by pure luck. Unfortunately I had to sell each of them for different reasons. I've been without a vehicle for over a year now , and the time is nigh to find my own set of wheels again.

Again, I'd be most grateful for any help. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-15-2013, 07:48 PM   #2
RESIST
moondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
moondeath's Tacoma Gallery
Autotrader.com is a good site. I bought mine new from my local dealership Bobby Rahal Toyota.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:51 PM   #3
DESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DESRTRNNR's Tacoma Gallery
used trucks are going for a premium right now.. you might be better off buying a new one
Old 04-15-2013, 07:57 PM   #4
jgillchevy is on a distinguished road
Army: Retired 11B 1SG
Name: Dan
jgillchevy's Tacoma Gallery
Google it

I also was looking for a very specific Tacoma and I just google'd the exact truck I was looking for along with 'for sale' after it. That would usually pull up a couple few options, but it still took me awhile to find my truck. Google is your best bet tho cuz it will bring up any website selling what you put in. Good luck!
Old 04-15-2013, 08:07 PM   #5
:D
Jux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Jux's Tacoma Gallery
A mixture of Google, every autotrader-esque site you can find, email alerts, and a bit of luck.

What are you looking for?
Old 04-15-2013, 08:09 PM   #6
169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

169.254.255.201's Tacoma Gallery
Patience.. And some more patience.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:13 PM   #7
Certified Eccentric

Loki's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks, guys!

Moondeath - I hadn't really thought of Autotrader...I've always thought of them as more of a 'classic car' kind of company. Will definitely give it a look.

DESRTRNNR - A new truck is a bit out of my league, unfortunately, and the colors I like are no longer offered anyway (Black Sand Pearl or Speedway Blue). My dealership didn't have a single 4x4, new or used, anyway. It would be nice, though!

Jgillchevy - Google has failed me so far...whenever I think I've hit the jackpot, the ad turns out to be ancient, deleted, a scam, or half a planet away. Since you've had success though, I'll keep trying. Perhaps I'll toy with some of Google's advanced options...

Thanks for the advice so far! I'll keep on looking. Please keep your fingers crossed for me!
Old 04-15-2013, 08:22 PM   #8
Certified Eccentric

Loki's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jux View Post
What are you looking for?
05' and newer Access Cab
V6
4x4
Sport Pkg
Black Sand Pearl or Speedway Blue

I'm in Tucson, AZ, so the truck would need to be somewhere nearby or brought in by a dealership.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:20 PM   #9
mikebuyscars is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
mikebuyscars's Tacoma Gallery
Autotrader

Autotrader was the best source with the best search engine when I went looking for mine. I was very specific in what I wanted and what I wanted to pay. I have been in the wholesale business and I work at a dealer network that has a Toyota store. The Crew Cab double cab with rear locking diff was pretty rare in Michigan. Lucky I don't start work until Noon every other Thursday. I left my house at 6 am and drove 2 1/2 hours to Ohio to get the one I want. You might have to be willing to go for a road trip to get the one you want. I am happy that I did! I would do it again in a heart beat!
Old 04-17-2013, 12:31 PM   #10
Certified Eccentric

Loki's Tacoma Gallery
Mikebuyscars - Thanks! Autotrader actually helped me find one possibility I'm waiting to hear back on. Similarly, it's 2hrs away. I'm desperately hoping no-one else snags it in the meantime. I'd like to achieve as much of the buying process over the internet as I can, but I've never done it before so I don't know exactly what can be done.

Wish me luck!
Old 04-17-2013, 03:39 PM   #11
Drinknmolson is on a distinguished road
Drinknmolson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
05' and newer Access Cab
V6
4x4
Sport Pkg
Black Sand Pearl or Speedway Blue

I'm in Tucson, AZ, so the truck would need to be somewhere nearby or brought in by a dealership.
I just saw a sick lifted tacoma on the stevinson dealership lot in Lakewood colorado, BSP 4x4 lifted nice wheels topper the whole nine! check them out online, could be worth the road trip!!!
Old 04-18-2013, 09:10 AM   #12
heavy user
mm1ssdv is on a distinguished road

Navy: nuke sub mechanic / diver
Name: Chris
mm1ssdv's Tacoma Gallery
When I was in the market for a used truck about a year ago I started searching autotrader and all others. What I wanted was a 2006 or newer access cab trd offroad with a manual transmission. Well there were none to be found, so i expanded my search to include automatic transmissions. This yielded some results but any trucks with less than 100,000 miles were nearly $20,000. I wasn't really willing to compromise so I ordered a new one for $30,000. It took toyota 4 months to build my truck because I wanted a TRD off road with a manual transmission. But I finally got what I wanted and it was totally worth it.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:27 AM   #13
TexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
TexAggie's Tacoma Gallery
Carmax or talk to a salesman. If they know they have a buyer they will find you the truck you want.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:13 AM   #14
birry is on a distinguished road
Name: Billy
birry's Tacoma Gallery
Try SearchTempest.com (searches craigslist in all cities or several other sites) and go through their tips to searching for specific words or phrases. Its super useful.

I was looking for a double cab 4x4. I could eliminate the phrase "2wd", "prerunner", and "access cab" so I wouldn't get results for either titles or ads with those words.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:33 PM   #15
New guy
Ryan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic/ff reserve
Name: Ryan
Ryan DCFS's Tacoma Gallery
X2 on searchtempest.com

I was also very very specific in what I was looking for... It took me 6 months to find a dclb 4x4 trd sport, in excellent condition, less than 3 years old and less than 30k miles. I was very lucky to find mine.

My advice, is to be flexible with color... I have always driven black cars, but was really looking for a Pyrite Mica or MGM tacoma. I was having serious difficulty finding one that met all if my other requirements. I ended up finding my silver one, and couldn't be happier...

Edit: when I say excellent condition, I don't mean Kbb excellent... My truck was garaged for 3 years and only driven 16k miles... I don't think anyone had ever sat in the passenger seat, let alone the back... Bone stock, all services done by dealership and documented... Not a scratch or nick on the pain, engine compartment was almost sterile... That's why it took me 6 months to find. I am extremely picky.