1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tips for finding a specific model Tacoma?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Loki, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Apr 15, 2013 at 7:35 PM
    Loki

Loki [OP] Certified Eccentric

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2009 Gray Tacoma TRD sport
    Hello all!

I am looking for a very specific model/pkg/color/etc Tacoma, and was hoping one of you brilliant, awesome people might know of some websites or methods I could try.

Here are the places I've been haunting the past few months:
    -craigslist.org
    -cars.com
    -kbb.com
    -automotive.com
    -ebay/ebay classifieds
    -cargurus.com
    -local Toyota dealerships (and carfinder)
    -local repo auctions

I'd love to hear any tips or suggestions! For example, how did you guys find your trucks? What places do you check? Any nifty super-dealer-classified-aggregate sites out there?

The two Tacomas I've owned in the past (an 01' and an 06') I found by pure luck. Unfortunately I had to sell each of them for different reasons. I've been without a vehicle for over a year now :(, and the time is nigh to find my own set of wheels again.

Again, I'd be most grateful for any help. Thanks in advance!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Apr 15, 2013 at 7:48 PM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    Autotrader.com is a good site. I bought mine new from my local dealership Bobby Rahal Toyota.

3. Apr 15, 2013 at 7:51 PM
    DESRTRNNR

DESRTRNNR Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD off road 4x4
    used trucks are going for a premium right now.. you might be better off buying a new one

4. Apr 15, 2013 at 7:57 PM
    jgillchevy

jgillchevy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Clarksville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TRD Off Road
    5100s on all corners, front set at .85" w/ Eibach coils TSB rear springs w/ Wheelers offroad 3 leaf aal pack AFE drop in airfilter Weathertech floormats Wetokole seatcovers Tacoma bedmat Maglight install Rear diff breather mod Moroso oil catch can painted black rear bumper HomerTaco color matched satoshi grill BAMF bolt-on sliders URD fuel pump w/ external fuel filter Ultragauge
    I also was looking for a very specific Tacoma and I just google'd the exact truck I was looking for along with 'for sale' after it. That would usually pull up a couple few options, but it still took me awhile to find my truck. Google is your best bet tho cuz it will bring up any website selling what you put in. Good luck!

5. Apr 15, 2013 at 8:07 PM
    Jux

Jux :D

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Northern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2013 V6 4x4 SW DCSB TRD OR
    A mixture of Google, every autotrader-esque site you can find, email alerts, and a bit of luck.

What are you looking for?

6. Apr 15, 2013 at 8:09 PM

169.254.255.201 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Interwebs
    Patience.. And some more patience.

7. Apr 15, 2013 at 8:13 PM
    Loki

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Thanks, guys!

Moondeath - I hadn't really thought of Autotrader...I've always thought of them as more of a 'classic car' kind of company. Will definitely give it a look.

DESRTRNNR - A new truck is a bit out of my league, unfortunately, and the colors I like are no longer offered anyway (Black Sand Pearl or Speedway Blue). My dealership didn't have a single 4x4, new or used, anyway. It would be nice, though!

Jgillchevy - Google has failed me so far...whenever I think I've hit the jackpot, the ad turns out to be ancient, deleted, a scam, or half a planet away. Since you've had success though, I'll keep trying. Perhaps I'll toy with some of Google's advanced options...

Thanks for the advice so far! I'll keep on looking. Please keep your fingers crossed for me!

8. Apr 15, 2013 at 8:22 PM
    Loki

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    05' and newer Access Cab
    V6
    4x4
    Sport Pkg
    Black Sand Pearl or Speedway Blue

I'm in Tucson, AZ, so the truck would need to be somewhere nearby or brought in by a dealership.

9. Apr 16, 2013 at 4:20 PM
    mikebuyscars

mikebuyscars Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Fenton, MI
    Vehicle:
    21 Toyota Tacoma double cab TRD Off-Road Voodoo Blue
    2 inch lift
    Autotrader was the best source with the best search engine when I went looking for mine. I was very specific in what I wanted and what I wanted to pay. I have been in the wholesale business and I work at a dealer network that has a Toyota store. The Crew Cab double cab with rear locking diff was pretty rare in Michigan. Lucky I don't start work until Noon every other Thursday. I left my house at 6 am and drove 2 1/2 hours to Ohio to get the one I want. You might have to be willing to go for a road trip to get the one you want. I am happy that I did! I would do it again in a heart beat!

10. Apr 17, 2013 at 12:31 PM
    Loki

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Mikebuyscars - Thanks! Autotrader actually helped me find one possibility I'm waiting to hear back on. Similarly, it's 2hrs away. I'm desperately hoping no-one else snags it in the meantime. :eek: I'd like to achieve as much of the buying process over the internet as I can, but I've never done it before so I don't know exactly what can be done.

Wish me luck!

11. Apr 17, 2013 at 3:39 PM
    Drinknmolson

Drinknmolson Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wheat Ridge, CO
    Vehicle:
    10 DCSB sport
    I just saw a sick lifted tacoma on the stevinson dealership lot in Lakewood colorado, BSP 4x4 lifted nice wheels topper the whole nine! check them out online, could be worth the road trip!!!

12. Apr 18, 2013 at 9:10 AM
    mm1ssdv

mm1ssdv Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 AC TRD OR
    SPC UCA's Fox Factory 2.5 coilovers CVJ high angle axles (9808TR) OME Dakar leaf pack +4" rear brake lines
    When I was in the market for a used truck about a year ago I started searching autotrader and all others. What I wanted was a 2006 or newer access cab trd offroad with a manual transmission. Well there were none to be found, so i expanded my search to include automatic transmissions. This yielded some results but any trucks with less than 100,000 miles were nearly $20,000. I wasn't really willing to compromise so I ordered a new one for $30,000. It took toyota 4 months to build my truck because I wanted a TRD off road with a manual transmission. But I finally got what I wanted and it was totally worth it.

13. Apr 18, 2013 at 9:27 AM
    TexAggie

TexAggie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    OME Lift
    Carmax or talk to a salesman. If they know they have a buyer they will find you the truck you want.

14. Apr 18, 2013 at 11:13 AM
    birry

birry Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 DCSB
    OME 885, Bilstein 5100's, Wheeler's (single) AAL
    Try SearchTempest.com (searches craigslist in all cities or several other sites) and go through their tips to searching for specific words or phrases. Its super useful.

I was looking for a double cab 4x4. I could eliminate the phrase "2wd", "prerunner", and "access cab" so I wouldn't get results for either titles or ads with those words.

15. Apr 18, 2013 at 12:33 PM
    Ryan DCFS

Ryan DCFS Elevator guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    East Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    09 DC long bed TRD silver streak
    X2 on searchtempest.com

I was also very very specific in what I was looking for... It took me 6 months to find a dclb 4x4 trd sport, in excellent condition, less than 3 years old and less than 30k miles. I was very lucky to find mine.

My advice, is to be flexible with color... I have always driven black cars, but was really looking for a Pyrite Mica or MGM tacoma. I was having serious difficulty finding one that met all if my other requirements. I ended up finding my silver one, and couldn't be happier...

Edit: when I say excellent condition, I don't mean Kbb excellent... My truck was garaged for 3 years and only driven 16k miles... I don't think anyone had ever sat in the passenger seat, let alone the back... Bone stock, all services done by dealership and documented... Not a scratch or nick on the pain, engine compartment was almost sterile... That's why it took me 6 months to find. I am extremely picky.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top