1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My Stealership Story (Blacked out Headlights related)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Kicker_Of_Elves, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Feb 17, 2009 at 7:24 AM
    Kicker_Of_Elves

Kicker_Of_Elves [OP] If it bleeds we can kill it

Member:
    USA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Access Cab TRD Off Road
    Front Skid Plate, Exhaust Tip, Tinted Windows: 35% Front Sides, 5% Rear Windows, Devil Horns Emblem, Rear TSB, BLHM, Shorty Antenna, 6000k HID Headlights.
    I recently ordered some blacked out headlights from Ebay. I'm a newb when it comes to working on trucks but after reading a lot of writeups on taking em off i figured i could do it myself. (I still don't think i can do the actual mod i'm too chicken shit to throw these in the oven, i burn toast on a daily basis so fuck putting these in the oven man! :D)

I got all of the screws off of it fine but after getting underneath the truck to get that last screw by the fender, i realized i wasn't gonna be able to fit my hand up there good enough to get the last one out. It sucks being a big guy. :( Well only sometimes i guess. :D :cool:

So i decided to bite the bullet and pay to have someone do it. First place i called said $100 which made me go :eek: so i decided to call the place i bought the truck from to see how much it would be and they said it'd be about an hr's work and around $90, i said fuck it and took it in this morning.

After dropping it off and parking my ass in the waiting room the service manager came out to me and said they hadn't done anything yet but they found out they'd have to take the bumper off to get to all the screws to get all of the lights off and bulbs off and it'd would end up being 2.5 hrs of work and around $260! Which bout made me shit my pants! I told him no way and got my truck out of there.

WTF! $260 to install new lights! Seriously? :eek::eek::eek::eek::rolleyes::rolleyes::eek::eek::eek::eek:

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Feb 17, 2009 at 7:27 AM
    dually

dually Low and slow

Member:
    Interstate underpass
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno SR5 DCLB
    Holy shiz!!! If i was closer i'd come do it for you, hell, i'd seperate your lights too!

3. Feb 17, 2009 at 7:29 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    That's ridiculous... you don't have to remove the bumper...

make a friend with skinny arms do it for ya... it'll be cheaper :D

4. Feb 17, 2009 at 7:31 AM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    screw those guys, its a 45 min job.

5. Feb 17, 2009 at 7:32 AM
    Kicker_Of_Elves

Member:
    USA
    Vehicle:
    Front Skid Plate, Exhaust Tip, Tinted Windows: 35% Front Sides, 5% Rear Windows, Devil Horns Emblem, Rear TSB, BLHM, Shorty Antenna, 6000k HID Headlights.
    That's what sucks, just bout all of the guys i know are big fuckers. The one skinny guy i'm good buds with knows his way around cars but bitches like a motherfucker and i don't think i could handle it :D

6. Feb 17, 2009 at 7:34 AM
    Kicker_Of_Elves

Member:
    USA
    Vehicle:
    I called another place and they want me to bring it to them so they can give me a quote. Thinking about asking em if i can use the skinniest guy they got for about 15 minutes while i do the rest. :D

7. Feb 17, 2009 at 7:34 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    lol... offer him pizza and beer... :D That's how I get my whiney friends to help... lol

8. Feb 17, 2009 at 7:37 AM
    Kicker_Of_Elves

Member:
    USA
    Vehicle:
    If this next place wants an arm and a leg just to do it then i just might have to try your method.

9. Feb 17, 2009 at 8:11 AM
    papabear050

papabear050 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    11 dc 4x4 TRD OR Auto
    Just leave the screw off. It's is secure enough with the others screws already and won't rattle or move. Don't worry about it.

10. Feb 17, 2009 at 8:43 AM
    Kicker_Of_Elves

Member:
    USA
    Vehicle:
    Getting it off in the first place is the the problem. I went to another place and got it priced for $60 which isn't too bad. Taking it in next week.

Anyone got a link to a good write up on removing the headlights that i can give to em? They were thinking the bumper had to come off to but i told them it didn't and the writeup should help em get it done fast.

11. Feb 17, 2009 at 8:48 AM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    the bolt is in the upper corner on the inside of the bumper cover. you will be able to feel two different bolts up there, its the top one that needs to come out.

12. Feb 17, 2009 at 8:58 AM
    SocalMan22

SocalMan22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve-0
    So*Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    What Mods!
    When my buddy switched my headlights i kid you not 10mins hes done it quite a few times, 260 whoa that is crazy.

13. Feb 21, 2010 at 9:01 PM
    meegari

meegari Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport SB Leather Pkg
    I know this is an old thread but I'm new around here still awaiting delivery of my 2010 black DC TRD Sport SB,

I asked my Toyota dealer to get me some quotes on parts and they quoted me the following...

smoked LED taillights and headlights. Taillights $699 installed $600 For Parts
    Headlights$ 899 installed $ 800 for parts.

and thats just the start, granted I'm in Canada but still thats just nuts!!!

I found it an insult to my intelligence and I told them so. They also quoted me

All black custom grill $650 install $765 which is the grillmax grill and FJ emblem!?!?! seriously, the list goes on including 2800 for a ome 2.5 inch lift installed &PIAAs for 500 installed.

Now I know im new to all this but after reading these forums, these prices seem outrageously high, please correct me if i'm wrong.

Now that being said can anyone here recommend any places in Canada that have these parts, my dealer advised that it's best to get these parts installed by them, if a third party installs any of the above equipment it would void my warranty, is this correct?

14. Feb 21, 2010 at 9:15 PM
    BeardedWeirdo

BeardedWeirdo Junior Mint

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 AC SR5 PreRunner
    Barcelona Red Pop & Lock, Tint, New Shoes, Removed Rear Headrests, Grille(in the works)
    Maybe if you weren't running around kicking elves all the time, you could find one of them to reach up there for you.

15. Feb 21, 2010 at 9:47 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    Wow those prices are redic. It's really easy to do... the hardest part to me was figuring out the right ways to twist and move the headlight out of the body without scratching it up.

If you can't get your hands in there (which, if I can you should be able to...) try a snake driver... $20 with a tool for life vs ungodly stealership prices.... well you do the math.

Also, the dealer selling you smoked pieces... they'll be what's already on a 09+. $650 to install a grill which is 4 clips and pull up, pop the new one in and put 4 clips back in is lol rape.

16. Feb 21, 2010 at 10:14 PM
    meegari

meegari Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport SB Leather Pkg
    Thats what I was thinking!

17. Feb 22, 2010 at 6:08 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    You've already heard about finding someone to get the bolt out from the bottom. I'm a big guy myself and can still get a shorty rachet and socket in that spot to remove the bolt, just takes a bit of feeling around and a few scratches.

If you still want to do it yourself though, you can remove the bumper cover yourself, swap the lights, then reinstall the cover. The FSM, or the install instructions for the Grillcraft lower grill, tells you how the cover comes off/on. It's really not that bad to do yourself. I'd say it takes an hour, or so, to remove, replace the lights (VERY easy with the cover off), and replace the cover. An extra set of hands helps, but I did it by myself when installing my Grillcraft. That's when I noticed how easily the HLs could be changed with the cover off.

18. Feb 22, 2010 at 6:22 AM
    tim920

tim920 Never seen Forest Gump

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    2005 4Runner Limited V6
    Hey .... go check the "Ask a Canadian" thread to see if anyone lives near you and can help you, maybe? I hated twisting and turning the headlights to take it out and put back into the body. I broke all the clips that was used to holding the grille together and I used zip ties. I also did not install the last screw back (the one that is harder to reach).

19. Feb 22, 2010 at 3:29 PM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    If you take the first couple of bolts out of the splash guard (fender liner) and fold it out of the way you can reach that PITA bolt real easy....... The splash guard is very flexible and will not be damaged by bending it.

20. Feb 22, 2010 at 3:41 PM
    automoto

automoto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    jersey shore
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 4X4 AC
    thats what i was going to say, doing that getting to the bolt very easy either with a 1/4 ratchet & shallow socket, or a ratcheting wrench. screw those other places do it ur self!

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top