1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help Diagnosing a noise

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SurfnWolf, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Feb 17, 2009 at 7:28 AM
    SurfnWolf

SurfnWolf [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fayetteville NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Prerunner Double Cab
    Ok here is what I have happening. I have a 2006 Double Cab V6 auto with 35000 miles. I hear a noise first thing in the morning and only in reverse, like a rough grinding noise only for a few seconds and goes away. In only happens when you First hit the pedal for accleration, then stops. Seems to hear it more in cold mornings. Its not a brake squeak, i saw the TSB and dealer doesnt think its that either. Dealer has had it a few mornings, and hears the same noise, only by the time he gets it on a lift, you cant duplicate the sound. Says it might be one of those things it has to get worse before you can fix it. To me, it only happens in Reverse and after its sat over night. So could it be a fluid problem in the transmission?? Also sound seems to be coming from the front of the vehicle not the rear, So I thought maybe rear differential since fluids were changed at 30,000 and it has an LSD, however the sound would have to carry up to the front somehow. At a loss, but definately a grinding/rubbing sound. Should I ask they change both the transmission and differentail fluids and see how it goes? Again, it doesnt happen when in drive, only in reverse, and only when you first acclerate., if you dont hit the gas backing up, you wont here the squeak, thats why we ruled out brake pad/rotor problem? Any suggestions?

2. Feb 17, 2009 at 9:40 AM
    SurfnWolf

Member:
    Fayetteville NC
    Vehicle:
    Any guesses?

3. Feb 17, 2009 at 9:44 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Im wondering if it could be the ABS system cycling thru a self test......

4. Feb 17, 2009 at 9:54 AM
    Bearskill

Bearskill Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sac
    Vehicle:
    06 Access cab PreRunner Sport
    FlowMaster 40 duals out the back, T-Rex grill, Color matched TRD Nerf bars, Icon coilovers set at 2'', 2.75" OME Dakars spring packs, OME Nitro-Charger extended rear shocks, Carrier bearing drop kit, Wheeler's Extended break Lines, Total Chaos UCAs, Mojave Teflons and 31 1/2" Toyo Open Country A/Ts, Pioneer single din unit, Yakima roof rack, Malone roof basket with X2 KC 130w long range Slimmlights mounted to it, Garmin 255w nav, Fire bottle mod, Air Force standard First Aid kit mod, Hidden Muchette mod (don't ask), and 1 huge OCD about my truck.
    The ABS will do a self test?

5. Feb 17, 2009 at 10:17 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Thats what I have heard. Only on start up after it sits for a while. I havent experienced it. :confused:

6. Feb 17, 2009 at 10:19 AM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    Belt pulley?

7. Feb 17, 2009 at 10:22 AM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    I had a 2002 Accord that did that. You could hear it easily, but I've never heard that noise on my Tacoma.

8. Feb 17, 2009 at 10:24 AM
    SurfnWolf

Member:
    Fayetteville NC
    Vehicle:
    Would the ABS or Belt Pulley only effect it while being in Reverse. Because with all conditions being the same, if you put it in drive the noise will not appear, only in Reverse?

Chris, the dealers first thoughts on it were something about an ABS motor?? What is the function of it?

9. Feb 17, 2009 at 10:35 AM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    I think the ABS does in fact cycle first thing after you start the engine and engage transmission. I seem to recall hearing something about it and I can often feel it all my vehicles (Accord, Pilot, Passat and Tacoma). It is a very low level growl sound, then stops.

10. Feb 17, 2009 at 11:57 AM
    ballon78

ballon78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Amesbury, MA
    Vehicle:
    06 CC SR5 TRD
  11. Mar 3, 2009 at 11:40 AM
    SurfnWolf

Member:
    Fayetteville NC
    Vehicle:
    Just wanted to update, dealer found the noise and its just like ballon said. Its the Air Intake Hose. There is a replacement part, but basically it seems when cold, you need that gasket on it around the body. Anyway Dealer replaced mine and all is fine again.

12. Mar 3, 2009 at 11:50 AM
    ballon78

ballon78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Amesbury, MA
    Vehicle:
    06 CC SR5 TRD
    Nice!!! I didnt know there was a TSB on it until last week, after i fixed min!!! Plus took me 5 mins instead of at dealership all day. Glad you got it fixed

13. Mar 3, 2009 at 11:57 AM
    Alex352

Alex352 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Dbl Cab
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/281569-alex352s-build-thread.html
    i have a similar problem with my 2007 tacoma. when i go into reverse and give it a little gas i hear a loud clicking noise. it only clicks once but its loud and it comes from the front left of the vehicle.any ideas?

14. Mar 3, 2009 at 12:21 PM
    SurfnWolf

Member:
    Fayetteville NC
    Vehicle:
    The 2 things I would look at is the TSB for Brakes and Rotors, or this Air Intake Hose. Mine noise was only in the mornings and only on accerelation in reverse, dont know why mine didnt do it going forward. I guess cause if you park, most of the time you are backing up! But mine was the Air Intake hose, rubbing /vibrating/noisey?

15. Mar 3, 2009 at 3:05 PM
    neslerrah

neslerrah Taco lovin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Harrelsen
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    5 lug BEAST!
    Secondary air filter removed, elbow mod, BFG T/A KO (31x10.5R15), 15" American Racing Mojaves, BHLM, Dome Light MOD (Blue), Pioneer headunit, Sockmonkey 'TACOMA' Decals, Readylift 5-lug SST, Rear Shocks - Bilstein TRD, Dynomax Super Turbo #17748, DDM Slim Ballast HID Kit H4 Hi/Lo -35W 6000K in headlights, Apexcone Raptor HID Kit H3 - 35W 6000K in Hella 500s, aFe CAI #51-10762, WeatherTech Floorliner, 200W Smart AC Inverter

Can you post a pic of what you are referring? What part you replace?

16. Mar 4, 2009 at 5:44 AM
    SurfnWolf

Member:
    Fayetteville NC
    Vehicle:
    For a picture, ballon has a link above. Click on his link, and for me anyway it was the second picture. Its the Air Intake Hose, that goes from the body of the truck (seen in the picture) to the housing for the air filter. Apparently, right where the air intake hose attachs to the body, it must not be a tight fit or something, and when you first accerlate it makes a rough sounding weird noise. If you wrap it in a gasket, noise goes away. Check out the picture in the link above.

Products Discussed in

To Top