Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Help Diagnosing a noise

Old 02-17-2009, 07:28 AM   #1
SurfnWolf is on a distinguished road
SurfnWolf's Tacoma Gallery
Help Diagnosing a noise- Noise Fixed (Air intake hose)

Ok here is what I have happening. I have a 2006 Double Cab V6 auto with 35000 miles. I hear a noise first thing in the morning and only in reverse, like a rough grinding noise only for a few seconds and goes away. In only happens when you First hit the pedal for accleration, then stops. Seems to hear it more in cold mornings. Its not a brake squeak, i saw the TSB and dealer doesnt think its that either. Dealer has had it a few mornings, and hears the same noise, only by the time he gets it on a lift, you cant duplicate the sound. Says it might be one of those things it has to get worse before you can fix it. To me, it only happens in Reverse and after its sat over night. So could it be a fluid problem in the transmission?? Also sound seems to be coming from the front of the vehicle not the rear, So I thought maybe rear differential since fluids were changed at 30,000 and it has an LSD, however the sound would have to carry up to the front somehow. At a loss, but definately a grinding/rubbing sound. Should I ask they change both the transmission and differentail fluids and see how it goes? Again, it doesnt happen when in drive, only in reverse, and only when you first acclerate., if you dont hit the gas backing up, you wont here the squeak, thats why we ruled out brake pad/rotor problem? Any suggestions?
Old 02-17-2009, 09:40 AM   #2
Any guesses?
Old 02-17-2009, 09:44 AM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Im wondering if it could be the ABS system cycling thru a self test......
Old 02-17-2009, 10:17 AM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearskill View Post
The ABS will do a self test?
Thats what I have heard. Only on start up after it sits for a while. I havent experienced it.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:22 AM   #7
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Thats what I have heard. Only on start up after it sits for a while. I havent experienced it.
I had a 2002 Accord that did that. You could hear it easily, but I've never heard that noise on my Tacoma.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:24 AM   #8
Would the ABS or Belt Pulley only effect it while being in Reverse. Because with all conditions being the same, if you put it in drive the noise will not appear, only in Reverse?

Chris, the dealers first thoughts on it were something about an ABS motor?? What is the function of it?
Old 02-17-2009, 10:35 AM   #9
Banned
Pster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
I think the ABS does in fact cycle first thing after you start the engine and engage transmission. I seem to recall hearing something about it and I can often feel it all my vehicles (Accord, Pilot, Passat and Tacoma). It is a very low level growl sound, then stops.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:57 AM   #10
ballon78 has a brilliant futureballon78 has a brilliant futureballon78 has a brilliant futureballon78 has a brilliant futureballon78 has a brilliant futureballon78 has a brilliant futureballon78 has a brilliant futureballon78 has a brilliant futureballon78 has a brilliant futureballon78 has a brilliant futureballon78 has a brilliant future
ballon78's Tacoma Gallery
Check this out, i did a small write up a few weeks ago about a simular noise that i was having.....iv'e seen a lot of people with this noise maybe make this a sticky, or at least put it in mods!!

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-fix-pics.html

let me know how it works out..
Old 03-03-2009, 11:40 AM   #11
Its Fixed

Just wanted to update, dealer found the noise and its just like ballon said. Its the Air Intake Hose. There is a replacement part, but basically it seems when cold, you need that gasket on it around the body. Anyway Dealer replaced mine and all is fine again.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:50 AM   #12
ballon78 has a brilliant futureballon78 has a brilliant futureballon78 has a brilliant futureballon78 has a brilliant futureballon78 has a brilliant futureballon78 has a brilliant futureballon78 has a brilliant futureballon78 has a brilliant futureballon78 has a brilliant futureballon78 has a brilliant futureballon78 has a brilliant future
ballon78's Tacoma Gallery
Nice!!! I didnt know there was a TSB on it until last week, after i fixed min!!! Plus took me 5 mins instead of at dealership all day. Glad you got it fixed
Old 03-03-2009, 11:57 AM   #13
Alex352 is a glorious beacon of lightAlex352 is a glorious beacon of lightAlex352 is a glorious beacon of lightAlex352 is a glorious beacon of lightAlex352 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Alex
Alex352's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy Similar Problem

i have a similar problem with my 2007 tacoma. when i go into reverse and give it a little gas i hear a loud clicking noise. it only clicks once but its loud and it comes from the front left of the vehicle.any ideas?
Old 03-03-2009, 12:21 PM   #14
maybe

The 2 things I would look at is the TSB for Brakes and Rotors, or this Air Intake Hose. Mine noise was only in the mornings and only on accerelation in reverse, dont know why mine didnt do it going forward. I guess cause if you park, most of the time you are backing up! But mine was the Air Intake hose, rubbing /vibrating/noisey?
Old 03-04-2009, 05:44 AM   #16
For a picture, ballon has a link above. Click on his link, and for me anyway it was the second picture. Its the Air Intake Hose, that goes from the body of the truck (seen in the picture) to the housing for the air filter. Apparently, right where the air intake hose attachs to the body, it must not be a tight fit or something, and when you first accerlate it makes a rough sounding weird noise. If you wrap it in a gasket, noise goes away. Check out the picture in the link above.