1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2010 TPMS capacity

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by slowmachine, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Apr 16, 2013 at 10:16 AM
    slowmachine

slowmachine [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Alton, NH
    I just checked my spare for the first time and found that the dealership left it inflated to 20 PSI on its way out the door. I see some posts that make it look like Toyota eliminated the spare tire TPMS sensor beginning in 2009, and began to mark the spare for temporary use only for that reason. I have been doing 5 and 6 tire rotations for decades, and prefer to continue. On my '05 Tundra, the TPMS system would track 5 sensors. Will my 2010 Tacoma do the same if I buy a standard road wheel and sensor for the spare tire?

Mike

2. Jun 21, 2013 at 12:10 PM
    slowmachine

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Alton, NH
    Had the Taco in the dealer today, and had them attempt to add a 5th tire pressure monitor to the ECU. They were unable to do it. The procedure, as it was described to me, gives the technician 5 minutes to enter all of the serial numbers of the pressure monitors. It terminates the session when the 4th one is entered. They do not know of any other settings, such as one that would indicate the total number of sensors in use. I'm not giving up, but I need to track down somebody with access to Techstream that has the time to dig into the details.

Mike

3. Jul 8, 2013 at 12:29 PM
    slowmachine

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Alton, NH
    My son (Toyota dealer employee) met with one of the regional tech reps that visit their dealership. The tech rep says that the Tacoma ECU only supports four tire pressure sensors. There is no way to program five of them in to the ECU.

Not sure what to think of this obvious downgrade in capability from my 2005 Tundra. I am displeased.

Moving on...

Mike

Products Discussed in

To Top