Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

No Throttle Response Randomly

Old 04-16-2013, 09:19 PM   #21
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 taco View Post
i don't think so, if you've had the pedal chop done the ECU will cut power when it senses a certian % of throttle while the brakes are pressed.
Yeah but it did it before i had the pedal cut
Old 04-16-2013, 09:21 PM   #22
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
So the reflash makes that not happen?
The recall/reflash makes that happen..in a effort to stop a stuck or wide open throttle. Its the fix for the stuck throttle problem a few years ago. I refuse that recall every time I go to the dealership..
Old 04-16-2013, 09:21 PM   #23
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah but it did it before i had the pedal cut
that's odd, stock taco's shouldn't have done that.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:22 PM   #24
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
I really cant pin point it since its so random, but i find myself not even wanting to go on longer trips due to the fact that it will probably happen.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:26 PM   #25
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 taco View Post
i don't think so, if you've had the pedal chop done the ECU will cut power when it senses a certian % of throttle while the brakes are pressed.
The pedal was cut to create a larger distance from the bottom of the pedal to the floor mat. If was thought that if a owner had aftermarket floor pads the pedal would get stuck on the aftermarket floor mat. The recall consisted of three things..modify the stock pedal, remove and replace with new updated floor mat hooks and a reflash of the ECU as mentioned by rich91710
Old 04-16-2013, 09:27 PM   #26
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The reflash MAKES it happen.

Thanks lawyers.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:29 PM   #27
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
The floor mat recall.
More than 25% throttle, tap the brakes, and the engine dumps to idle.

If your brake light switch is chattering, it'll randomly kill power.
Quote:
No. The reflash is because of the alleged " Unintended Accelleration Problem " of a few years ago.

The modified firmware causes this to happen:

The only way the ECU knows if you press the brake or not is via the brake switch.

So if you are booking down the freeway and the brake switch vibrates and closes the contacts ( even though you are not pressing the brake pedal ) the ECU gets a momentary signal that says you pressed the brakes and you have the throttle >25% open at the same time the ECU dumps the engine down to idle speed.

Adjust the brake switch position or replace the switch if it is defective that should correct it.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:29 PM   #28
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyProof View Post
The pedal was cut to create a larger distance from the bottom of the pedal to the floor mat. If was thought that if a owner had aftermarket floor pads the pedal would get stuck on the aftermarket floor mat. The recall consisted of three things..modify the stock pedal, remove and replace with new updated floor mat hooks and a reflash of the ECU as mentioned by rich91710
ok,i wasn't sure what all the recall consisted of.

patrick, does this sound like it? http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...le-2011-a.html
Old 04-16-2013, 09:30 PM   #29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyh View Post
No. The reflash is because of the alleged " Unintended Accelleration Problem " of a few years ago.

The modified firmware causes this to happen:

The only way the ECU knows if you press the brake or not is via the brake switch.

So if you are booking down the freeway and the brake switch vibrates and closes the contacts ( even though you are not pressing the brake pedal ) the ECU gets a momentary signal that says you pressed the brakes and you have the throttle >25% open at the same time the ECU dumps the engine down to idle speed.
Okay i feel like that could be it, except that it happened several times before i had the re-flash
Old 04-16-2013, 09:33 PM   #30
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Okay i feel like that could be it, except that it happened several times before i had the re-flash
The fact that it happened before the reflash means that that is most likely not the problem.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:37 PM   #31
You guys thinking more electronic than mechanical?
Old 04-16-2013, 10:28 PM   #32
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
I've had the pedal chopped and I guess they reflashed at the same time but I've never had that happen???
Old 04-16-2013, 10:34 PM   #33
I might pull my throttle body and inspect it. Any tips for things I should look for?
Old 04-16-2013, 10:46 PM   #34
03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold
Name: Bill
03f5sp's Tacoma Gallery
About the MAF, I'm almost positive that if it fails, the truck goes into safe mode and runs super rich.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:50 PM   #35
I also noticed I do not have the little white spacers on my MAF
Old 04-17-2013, 07:48 AM   #36
May try replacing brake light switch and start from there
Old 04-17-2013, 10:34 AM   #37
MassAppeal16 is on a distinguished road
MassAppeal16's Tacoma Gallery
This was happening to me when I first bought my truck. The guy I got it from had a programmer on it previously and a CAI and throttle body spacer. Before he sold me the truck he took the CAI and spacer off. The programmer was still set for all of that in there so it would shut my engine down anytime i got over 55mph. I removed it and now it runs like a dream. Not sure this helps at all... but hope it does.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:35 AM   #38
your TW web developer!
rondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ronnie
rondog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I might pull my throttle body and inspect it. Any tips for things I should look for?
I have an extra throttle body if ya wana borrow it. I'd need it back eventually. It has about 70k miles on it but it works as far as I know
Old 04-17-2013, 11:21 AM   #39
Quote:
Originally Posted by rondog View Post
I have an extra throttle body if ya wana borrow it. I'd need it back eventually. It has about 70k miles on it but it works as far as I know
That would be awesome i will let you know man!
Old 04-25-2013, 10:13 PM   #40
Strongly thinking this is what i need, i almost feel like a clogging fuel filter is exactly my problem
http://urdusa.com/Fuel-Upgrades-Fuel...duct_info.html