Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

No Throttle Response Randomly

Old 04-25-2013, 10:24 PM   #41
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03f5sp View Post
About the MAF, I'm almost positive that if it fails, the truck goes into safe mode and runs super rich.
True, but there is no "sudden" power loss. And you wont even notice the power losses until you floor it and your only getting like 70-80% power you used to. Thats how the safe mode works.

Also you'll drink fuel like it's going out of style.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
Strongly thinking this is what i need, i almost feel like a clogging fuel filter is exactly my problem
http://urdusa.com/Fuel-Upgrades-Fuel...duct_info.html
This very well could be your fix. + It's waaay cheaper then the toyota replacement.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:27 PM   #42
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTusk View Post
True, but there is no "sudden" power loss. And you wont even notice the power losses until you floor it and your only getting like 70-80% power you used to. Thats how the safe mode works.

Also you'll drink fuel like it's going out of style.

This very well could be your fix. + It's waaay cheaper then the toyota replacement.
For the first 40k miles of the truck i had a habit of running it til the light was on and then some before filling up. IT only happens when im driving a little on the hard side which could be my fuel pressure isnt keeping up causing my truck to lean out
Old 04-25-2013, 10:37 PM   #43
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
For the first 40k miles of the truck i had a habit of running it til the light was on and then some before filling up. IT only happens when im driving a little on the hard side which could be my fuel pressure isnt keeping up causing my truck to lean out
All it would take is for you to have filled up from a bad gas station that had broken filters in its pumps and a dirty tank in ground.

Luck of the draw basically. It's rare but not unheard of, handed to a bunch of vehicles locally here too.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:39 PM   #44
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
For 155 bucks and a few hours of time I may do it
Old 04-25-2013, 10:40 PM   #45

Quote:
For 155 bucks and a few hours of time I may do it
+ Peace of mind is a wonderful thing. I'd say shoot.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:41 PM   #46
Is there a write up on x-runner underground?

Did you install it on your X?
Old 04-25-2013, 10:43 PM   #47

Quote:
Is there a write up on x-runner underground?

Did you install it on your X?
Yes & yes.

Let me find it one sec.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:48 PM   #48
Are you saying with the new pump I'll drink fuel or when the trucks in safe mode?
Old 04-25-2013, 11:00 PM   #50
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
So when the truck cuts power do the RPMs hold steady, drop due to the lost power, or blip higher?
Old 04-25-2013, 11:01 PM   #51
Drop down to idle slightly fluctuating
Old 04-25-2013, 11:02 PM   #52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
Do you have an ultra gauge?
Scanguage 2
Old 04-25-2013, 11:04 PM   #54
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Drop down to idle slightly fluctuating
But the truck will remain running and go to low idle then?
Old 04-25-2013, 11:05 PM   #55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
Try driving without it a few times. Or for a while.
Just got it like 3 weeks ago, this has been happening for like 18months at least maybe 2 years actually
Old 04-25-2013, 11:05 PM   #56

Quote:
Are you saying with the new pump I'll drink fuel or when the trucks in safe mode?
When the truck is in SAFE mode you will drink fuel like a pig. I'd say I was going through easily 50% more fuel.

You'll know if thats your issue, you'll throw tons of codes and be at the mercy of gas pumps till you get it fixed.

So i just spend 20 minutes combing through the X-runner Underground website and can't find the damn how-to. But I do know the kit comes with very detailed instructions as I has used them. Also I have a spare full kit laying around in my storage unit somewhere.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:05 PM   #57
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
But the truck will remain running and go to low idle then?
Correct, never dies just bogs down and wont accelerate
Old 04-25-2013, 11:06 PM   #58

Heres a 4Runner install I found

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-ge...p-install.html
Old 04-25-2013, 11:14 PM   #59
Vivid Illumination

Quote:
Correct, never dies just bogs down and wont accelerate
Don't hold me to it, but I am nearly positive it is your fuel pump. A clogged filter will not allow the pump to maintain proper fuel pressure and you will lose power, especially under hard acceleration. This effect can be accentuated by a low gas tank.

As for the install, URD provides some pretty good directions. Also, I did just do it 2 days ago (albeit my first time), but I am pretty sure I could walk you through it by memory.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:16 PM   #60
Vivid Illumination

And I still have the directions so if I really had to I could put them in a pdf and send them to you... I'm surprised there isn't a pdf of that hangout out somewhere. I might have to change that.