Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Sleeping Platform - 2x6's or 2x8's

Old 04-16-2013, 08:53 PM   #1
skincer is on a distinguished road
skincer's Tacoma Gallery
Sleeping Platform - 2x6's or 2x8's

I've been searching around the forum and even though there are a million posts about building a sleeping platform, I can't find the answer to my specific questions. I just bought a 2013 Taco with the access cab. My bed has 2 notches in each side that look like they're made to accept a piece of lumber. The thing is, they're wider than a 2x6 (I had one around and tried it), but I'm pretty sure a 2x8 will be too wide. So, despite reading another post that said they're made for a 2x8, I don't think that can be the case. Is that correct?

The other thing I don't get is that a 2x6 (or 2x8) is too thick. The notch appears to be about an inch deep, so a board that is 1.5" thick will be higher than the wheel wells and "ledge" that goes all along each side of the bed. So, is it best to just rest something on that ledge and forget about the notches? When I first saw the notches, I thought a 2x6 in each with some plywood resting on them and the ledges would be perfect, but I don't see how that will work out.
Thanks.
Steve
Old 04-16-2013, 10:33 PM   #2
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
They were made for a 2 X 6. I wouldn't want it to rest on the ledges.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:01 PM   #7
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
2x8's ripped to fit

If you want sizes and angles I can figure that out for you tomorrow
Old 04-16-2013, 11:01 PM   #8
Rabid Conservative
majorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike in Cali..
majorhavok's Tacoma Gallery
Man, I thought I had problems! This is an intense woodworking issue! lol, j/k. /smartass.

I think it's made for a 2x8 personally, although the 2x6 would fit readily but it would slide slightly which is fine for some/most applications.

I just measured the ones on my 2013 dcsb and the notches are angled down to essentially 1x7. Personally I would do a bit of trimming to match the angle and use 2x8's and just have them stick .5 inch above the groove.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:06 PM   #9
Rabid Conservative
majorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Also the top of the board isn't supposed to be flush with the lip above the groove/notch. Even if you used a 1x7 it's really only 3/4 so forget that. You could always make cuts to sides and bottom of a 2x8 to remove .5" on the bottom, and .25" on both sides (or .5 on one side...) if you NEEDED it to be flush.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:08 PM   #10
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Flush is better then the ledge supports the plywood top
Old 04-17-2013, 12:24 AM   #11
Rabid Conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Flush is better then the ledge supports the plywood top
You are right, it's better but for a sleeping platform it shouldn't matter. The weight of the boards+plywood+ one or *two people should be more than fine in those notches. Although I guess it does matter how much the people weigh, but I wasn't going to ask. If a pair of 2x8's sag badly on a <4ft span, put in a center support and visit Jenny Craig or buy better quality dry 2x8's.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:27 AM   #12

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorhavok View Post
You are right, it's better but for a sleeping platform it shouldn't matter. The weight of the boards+plywood+ one or *two people should be more than fine in those notches. Although I guess it does matter how much the people weigh, but I wasn't going to ask. If a pair of 2x8's sag badly on a <4ft span, put in a center support and visit Jenny Craig or buy better quality dry 2x8's.
1" aluminum
Old 04-17-2013, 12:28 AM   #13
Rabid Conservative

Also, I'm just guessing here, but I think they intended you to use two 2x4's in each slot. 2x 1.5x3.5" actual boards would fit perfectly there with no trimming... unless you wanted flush for max load capacity.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:29 AM   #14

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Also, I'm just guessing here, but I think they intended you to use two 2x4's in each slot. 2x 1.5x3.5" actual boards would fit perfectly there with no trimming... unless you wanted flush for max load capacity.
Cut on saw
Old 04-17-2013, 12:30 AM   #15

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyh View Post
I wouldn't want it to rest on the ledges.
Why Jimmy
Old 04-17-2013, 12:31 AM   #16
Rabid Conservative

Quote:
1" aluminum
Starts getting pricey! Minimum $600 USD for solid bar 6061.

And do you say it U.S. style or add a bit with the British style "Al-yew-min-e-um"?
Old 04-17-2013, 12:32 AM   #17

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Starts getting pricey! Minimum $600 USD for solid bar 6061.

And do you say it U.S. style or add a bit with the British style "Al-yew-min-e-um"?
I say it properly

I didn't mean solid stock
Old 04-17-2013, 12:33 AM   #18

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I'm going to bed , I'll rip a piece to fit tommorow and post a pic

You take it from there OP
Old 04-17-2013, 12:39 AM   #19
Rabid Conservative

Quote:
I say it properly

I didn't mean solid stock
I figured you would add inappropriate syllables you Brit-can. All for the queen I guess.

U-channel? H-Bar, T-Bar, I-Beam? Square? Good luck finding something to fit a 1x7 slot.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:42 AM   #20
Rabid Conservative

Quote:
Cut on saw
I get that. I do own a compound miter saw.. even has a little useless laser for "sighting" the target.

Making these cuts is almost a dremel job though..