Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How Are Camper Shells Mounted

Old 04-16-2013, 08:58 PM   #1
skincer is on a distinguished road
skincer's Tacoma Gallery
How Are Camper Shells Mounted

Like the question I just posted about sleeping platforms, I found a million posts about camper shells (a.k.a. caps), but I can't find an answer to my specific question. I have a 2013 Taco with the composite bed and the "track" that goes around 3 sides of the bed that accepts the cleats for tying stuff down. How exactly do the camper shell dealers recommend clamping a shell down? I'm hoping I don't have to remove the plastic on top of my bed rails because I intend to take my shell off whenever I'm not using it. Are there clamps that have a piece that go in that track, or is there enough space under that track and is the track secure enough to clamp to it? I'd like to see some photos if anyone can refer me to some.
Thanks.
Steve
Old 04-16-2013, 09:03 PM   #2
Bajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EMS: Remote Duty Paramedic
Bajatacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Clamps; mine has six- three per side. I'm using an older style but the shell has been on there since 2006; I need to pull it and clean everything and replace the seal.

Here's another, newer, style:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/API-Truck-Ca...-/261181323453
Old 04-16-2013, 09:06 PM   #3
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
My Leer mounts with bolts that go into aluminum stock inside the bed rails
Old 04-16-2013, 09:07 PM   #4
skincer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajatacoma View Post
Clamps; mine has six- three per side.

Here's one style, mine has the older style. Give me a few and I'll get you a picture.
Thanks for the reply. So does your Taco have that track or rail system around 3 sides? ...and do the clamps have a piece that goes in that track or do they go under it? Does your bed have the plastic on top of the bed rails and did you leave that on and mount the shell on top of it?
Old 04-16-2013, 09:15 PM   #6
ouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Air Force: Mobile Support Equipment Operator
Name: Ryan
ouyin2000's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skincer View Post
Thanks for the reply. So does your Taco have that track or rail system around 3 sides? ...and do the clamps have a piece that goes in that track or do they go under it? Does your bed have the plastic on top of the bed rails and did you leave that on and mount the shell on top of it?
You're exactly right. Mine mounts the same way that Oz's does. And you don't need to remove the plastic rail caps.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:17 PM   #7
Bajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EMS: Remote Duty Paramedic
Bajatacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Yes to all; it has the track (see picture) and part of the clamps goes in the track. Yes, the bed is intact.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:25 PM   #8
skincer's Tacoma Gallery
I ordered up a set of the newer style that BajaTacoma provided the link to (http://www.ebay.com/itm/API-Truck-Ca...-/261181323453). The instructions say to remove the plastic piece from the end of the track. Can anyone tell me the proper way to remove that plastic end piece?
Thanks.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:26 PM   #9
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skincer View Post
I ordered up a set of the newer style that BajaTacoma provided the link to (http://www.ebay.com/itm/API-Truck-Ca...-/261181323453). The instructions say to remove the plastic piece from the end of the track. Can anyone tell me the proper way to remove that plastic end piece?
Thanks.
It just pulls out
Old 04-23-2013, 10:50 PM   #10
emeraldtriangle is on a distinguished road
emeraldtriangle's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajatacoma View Post
Clamps; mine has six- three per side. I'm using an older style but the shell has been on there since 2006; I need to pull it and clean everything and replace the seal.

Here's another, newer, style:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/API-Truck-Ca...-/261181323453
I use these same ones but they are bigger and "beefier" I guess.
Got them as a freebie..very nice. I like that I didnt have to drill holes into my bed. Easy removal. Especially since after this trip I am taking on friday I want to take the ole shell off for a while. Its getting STINKY in there for no reason.