1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How Are Camper Shells Mounted

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by skincer, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Apr 16, 2013 at 7:58 PM
    skincer

skincer [OP] Member

Member:
    San Diego Area
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma 4WD TRD Off-Road
    Like the question I just posted about sleeping platforms, I found a million posts about camper shells (a.k.a. caps), but I can't find an answer to my specific question. I have a 2013 Taco with the composite bed and the "track" that goes around 3 sides of the bed that accepts the cleats for tying stuff down. How exactly do the camper shell dealers recommend clamping a shell down? I'm hoping I don't have to remove the plastic on top of my bed rails because I intend to take my shell off whenever I'm not using it. Are there clamps that have a piece that go in that track, or is there enough space under that track and is the track secure enough to clamp to it? I'd like to see some photos if anyone can refer me to some.
    Thanks.
    Steve

2. Apr 16, 2013 at 8:03 PM
    Bajatacoma

Bajatacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Off-Road, SR5, 6 speed
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Apr 16, 2013 at 8:06 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    My Leer mounts with bolts that go into aluminum stock inside the bed rails

4. Apr 16, 2013 at 8:07 PM
    skincer

skincer [OP] Member

Member:
    San Diego Area
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the reply. So does your Taco have that track or rail system around 3 sides? ...and do the clamps have a piece that goes in that track or do they go under it? Does your bed have the plastic on top of the bed rails and did you leave that on and mount the shell on top of it?

5. Apr 16, 2013 at 8:14 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Like dis

[​IMG]

AxisCab and EagleUSMCRet like this.
  6. Apr 16, 2013 at 8:15 PM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    You're exactly right. Mine mounts the same way that Oz's does. And you don't need to remove the plastic rail caps.

7. Apr 16, 2013 at 8:17 PM
    Bajatacoma

Bajatacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Off-Road, SR5, 6 speed
    Yes to all; it has the track (see picture) and part of the clamps goes in the track. Yes, the bed is intact.

8. Apr 23, 2013 at 9:25 PM
    skincer

skincer [OP] Member

Member:
    San Diego Area
    Vehicle:
    I ordered up a set of the newer style that BajaTacoma provided the link to (http://www.ebay.com/itm/API-Truck-Ca...-/261181323453). The instructions say to remove the plastic piece from the end of the track. Can anyone tell me the proper way to remove that plastic end piece?
    Thanks.

9. Apr 23, 2013 at 9:26 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    It just pulls out

10. Apr 23, 2013 at 9:50 PM
    emeraldtriangle

emeraldtriangle Well-Known Member

Member:
    I use these same ones but they are bigger and "beefier" I guess.
    Got them as a freebie..very nice. I like that I didnt have to drill holes into my bed. Easy removal. Especially since after this trip I am taking on friday I want to take the ole shell off for a while. Its getting STINKY in there for no reason.

11. Mar 26, 2017 at 1:11 PM
    EagleUSMCRet

EagleUSMCRet Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alexandria, VA
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM 4x4 Tacoma DC Limited
    ESR Magnetic Mount MAGSafe charger for iPhone; AVS Vent Visors; Replaced Entune system with Kenwood Excelon Head unit, The Taco Garage DMM for Qi charger, Owl Dash Cam and Motorola GMRS; LED interior light upgrades, ARE Z Cap w/ Yakima Rack, Front Bed Rail, Bed Rug, Tuffy Bed Lock Box, Add a leaf, Pop and Lock, Blendmount and mirror tap for radar detector, AVS Hoodflector, Redline Hood Gas Spring mod. A/C drain mod, X2 Power Premium 27M battery, Debadged the tailgate, Compustar remote start, USB charger for the rear seats, Husky Mats, Lexus Credit Card Transponder Fob, MAG Light mount, twin Hella Sharptone horns, Bedslide, Gasshole, Meso Fuze cover, TRD Gas cap cover, Passenger side locking door handle, Mr. Produxn license place mount, Total Chaos Bed Stiffeners, Valley Runner Tune....help me I can't stop!!!
    Where did you get those? That looks great and functional.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  12. Mar 26, 2017 at 1:50 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Came with my Leer

13. Mar 26, 2017 at 2:20 PM
    EagleUSMCRet

Member:
    Alexandria, VA
    Vehicle:
    ESR Magnetic Mount MAGSafe charger for iPhone; AVS Vent Visors; Replaced Entune system with Kenwood Excelon Head unit, The Taco Garage DMM for Qi charger, Owl Dash Cam and Motorola GMRS; LED interior light upgrades, ARE Z Cap w/ Yakima Rack, Front Bed Rail, Bed Rug, Tuffy Bed Lock Box, Add a leaf, Pop and Lock, Blendmount and mirror tap for radar detector, AVS Hoodflector, Redline Hood Gas Spring mod. A/C drain mod, X2 Power Premium 27M battery, Debadged the tailgate, Compustar remote start, USB charger for the rear seats, Husky Mats, Lexus Credit Card Transponder Fob, MAG Light mount, twin Hella Sharptone horns, Bedslide, Gasshole, Meso Fuze cover, TRD Gas cap cover, Passenger side locking door handle, Mr. Produxn license place mount, Total Chaos Bed Stiffeners, Valley Runner Tune....help me I can't stop!!!
    Part number?

14. Mar 26, 2017 at 2:37 PM
    EagleUSMCRet

Member:
    Alexandria, VA
    Vehicle:
    Found it... Better Built...

s.e.charles likes this.
  15. Mar 28, 2019 at 4:54 PM
    s.e.charles

s.e.charles Well-Known Member

Member:
    ARE DCU cap. clamps the installer used barely grab the lip of the cap.

anyone know of a clamp which has enough reach to get good bearing on the bottom cap frame plate? thanks

16. Apr 1, 2019 at 1:43 PM
    fredgoodsell

fredgoodsell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Salt Lake, UT
    Vehicle:
    2017 DC TRD OR

Products Discussed in

To Top