Notices

New 2013 Tacoma Transmission Problems

Old 04-16-2013, 08:38 PM   #1
coreyward510 is on a distinguished road
Name: Corey
coreyward510's Tacoma Gallery
New 2013 Tacoma Transmission Problems

Hey guys,

I'm a new Tacoma owner and new to the site, so please excuse me if it takes a little while to figure out how this all works.

I bought a 2013 Tacoma Access Cab, V6 6spd manual less than a week ago. After putting 400 miles on it (driving from the Bay Area to the Central Coast), the transmission has gone from smooth to very sticky. The shift from 1st to 2nd gear has become increasingly difficult and I don't know whether it may be a synchro problem or something else? Obviously I am still under warranty and have an appointment scheduled, but I was wondering if anyone could help me (or give me some peace of mind!)

Thanks and I look forward to staying on this thread for years to come!

Corey Ward
Old 04-17-2013, 05:07 AM   #2
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
That's one for the dealer mine got smother with use. How does the clutch pedal feel? any change there?
Old 04-17-2013, 05:37 PM   #3
The clutch feels the same as it did before. Is it more likely a clutch or internal transmission problem? Here's to hoping that the dealer will have it figured out by tomorrow!
Old 04-17-2013, 05:40 PM   #4
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
I hope they remembered to fill the tranny with fluid at the factory.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:56 PM   #5
SAY MY NAME
moondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
moondeath's Tacoma Gallery
That's strange. Definitely let your warranty help you on that one. I haven't had any problems with my 6 spd. Hope everything works out for you.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:52 PM   #6
So I showed up this morning at the dealer hoping to resolve the issue. They had a mechanic take a 1 minute drive in the truck, in which he determined there was nothing wrong. He then offered to let me test drive another truck to give me some "peace of mind." Then, when they realized that they had no other 6spds, they told me there was nothing they could do. Some BS. I will NOT be returning to SLO Toyota, but rather Piercey where I bought it. Its a pretty shitty feeling having a brand new truck that is so uncomfortable to drive and no solution in sight...
Old 04-19-2013, 06:32 AM   #7
SAY MY NAME
moondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
moondeath's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyward510 View Post
So I showed up this morning at the dealer hoping to resolve the issue. They had a mechanic take a 1 minute drive in the truck, in which he determined there was nothing wrong. He then offered to let me test drive another truck to give me some "peace of mind." Then, when they realized that they had no other 6spds, they told me there was nothing they could do. Some BS. I will NOT be returning to SLO Toyota, but rather Piercey where I bought it. Its a pretty shitty feeling having a brand new truck that is so uncomfortable to drive and no solution in sight...
Definitely take it to your other dealer. If they give you a round of shit then open a claim with Toyota Corporate. They will open a case which will get things rolling towards a dealer looking further into your problem.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:28 PM   #8
Pro skier
skiomax is on a distinguished road

Canadian Army:
skiomax's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hey guys,

I'm a new Tacoma owner and new to the site, so please excuse me if it takes a little while to figure out how this all works.

I bought a 2013 Tacoma Access Cab, V6 6spd manual less than a week ago. After putting 400 miles on it (driving from the Bay Area to the Central Coast), the transmission has gone from smooth to very sticky. The shift from 1st to 2nd gear has become increasingly difficult and I don't know whether it may be a synchro problem or something else? Obviously I am still under warranty and have an appointment scheduled, but I was wondering if anyone could help me (or give me some peace of mind!)

Thanks and I look forward to staying on this thread for years to come!

Corey Ward
I have the same issue with my new 2013, the dealer will now take the transmission off, and have a better look, they told me if its a transmission problem they would just replace it, it also could be the bearing in the drive shaft, or something wrong with the clutch... regardless they are taking care of the issue this week.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:05 PM   #10
Greytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: dave
Greytacoma1's Tacoma Gallery
Dam, your truck was probably built on a Friday. People were probably in a rush to get home. Anyways good luck and I hope they do find the problem. But I can almost predict that your probally not going to purchase a Toyota after this. Atleast that's how I would feel.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:18 AM   #12
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greytacoma1 View Post
Dam, your truck was probably built on a Friday. People were probably in a rush to get home. Anyways good luck and I hope they do find the problem. But I can almost predict that your probally not going to purchase a Toyota after this. Atleast that's how I would feel.
Good luck with any thing else. No such a thing as a perfect ride.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:25 AM   #13
Greytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: dave
Greytacoma1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineah View Post
Good luck with any thing else. No such a thing as a perfect ride.
That's true, it's just how they handle problems. Put it to the back burner lately.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:35 AM   #14
jassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura about

jassco's Tacoma Gallery
Absolutely go get the level checked out. If you have never owned a new manual transmission truck then hopefully this is just a learning curve.

Peace of mind maybe: These Tacoma manuals feel much different then other vehicles. It's been 4 years and I still have tough time shifting from 1st to second with the 5 speed. I test drove a few 6 speeds and it was the same. Most people describe the feeling of being "notchy" and not very smooth.

It will always be tougher to shift when the vehicle is not warmed up and even worse when it's cold out. Over time it should be a little looser as things wear in. It took 15,000 miles for mine to become smoother.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:47 AM   #15
tammikm has a spectacular aura abouttammikm has a spectacular aura about

tammikm's Tacoma Gallery
6 speed

my 2007 brand new 6 speed was so terrible shifting, I traded it on an auto, no complaints with it!
Old 05-22-2013, 08:42 PM   #16
Pro skier
skiomax is on a distinguished road

Canadian Army:
skiomax's Tacoma Gallery
ya the shifting is horrible, this is my first manual truck but my 7th manual vehicle, never had issue shifting until i got a toyota. The dealership was pretty good about it, look like they will do everything to get this fix... will see next week once its actually in for repairs what they say
Old 05-22-2013, 08:46 PM   #17
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Try mobil1 synthetic . Helped with mines
Old 05-23-2013, 05:14 AM   #18
Law Enforcement:
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
No complaints at all with my 6 spd. Changed out the gear oil at 30K with synthetic made no difference at all shifted just as smooth as it did before.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:04 AM   #19
Having only driven manual cars, I gave a few of my buddy'a 5 spd sticks a test drive. I realized that trucks in general are much notchier and you really don't have the quick shift ease as in cars. Once I realized this I finally had peace of mind and am fine with it now
Old 05-23-2013, 08:09 AM   #20
jassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura about

jassco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Having only driven manual cars, I gave a few of my buddy'a 5 spd sticks a test drive. I realized that trucks in general are much notchier and you really don't have the quick shift ease as in cars. Once I realized this I finally had peace of mind and am fine with it now
Yeah it won't be like a car at all and you have to shift much slower (think dump truck). It will get a little smoother when everything wears a little. When you get to your 30k service try another fluid in there. I used Redline MT90 and it does help with the sticking a tiny bit. Any synthetic 75w-90 will do.