View Poll Results: Whats the best mod?
Tires 134 60.36%
Skid Plates 17 7.66%
Lift 51 22.97%
Locker 20 9.01%
Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-18-2013, 06:56 AM   #41
Central Scrutinizer
LUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dennis
LUSETACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric0947 View Post
Thanks everyone, looks like tires win! I plan on purchasing the 245/75-16 BFGs so I dont have to worry about rubbing at the extremes of the suspension travel. Next, I'll have to start saving my pennies for some skid plates/sliders. I like the absolute protection they offer.
Why not go for 265 75 16's?
Old 04-18-2013, 07:09 AM   #42
eric0947 is on a distinguished road
Name: Chuck
eric0947's Tacoma Gallery
I figure the 245's came on the truck so I'll just stick with them. I have heard that the ABS/Traction control etc. will get messed up if I use a different tire size too. Whether or not that's true, I don't know. Have not put any time into verifying it. That's about as far as I thought about it.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:51 AM   #43
TacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud of

Name: Jake
TacoBurrito07's Tacoma Gallery
I'm running 265/70/r17 in bfg at and they don't rub at all.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:43 AM   #44
D.ont I.nsult C.razy K.illers
KevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud of

Name: Kev
KevbekTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Don't do 245!!! Ull hate urself in a few months. Ull be fine with the 265/75/16 or 265/70/17 depending on ur rims
Old 04-18-2013, 07:38 PM   #45
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I figure the 245's came on the truck so I'll just stick with them. I have heard that the ABS/Traction control etc. will get messed up if I use a different tire size too. Whether or not that's true, I don't know. Have not put any time into verifying it. That's about as far as I thought about it.
I've run 6 or 7 different sets of tires without issue. If you use stock wheels & suspension you can run 265/75/16s without rubbing.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:59 PM   #47
Chepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Chepo's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevbekTacoma View Post
Don't do 245!!! Ull hate urself in a few months. Ull be fine with the 265/75/16 or 265/70/17 depending on ur rims
Do this!!!!

If you go with stock size, you will only waste your money!!! this will give you a little extra height, and you don't rub at all!!!

Quote:
I have used stock and 265's, there is no problem with ABS/traction, etc...

Also, 265's looks better when you are stock!
Old 04-19-2013, 01:03 PM   #48
theboy12 has a brilliant futuretheboy12 has a brilliant futuretheboy12 has a brilliant futuretheboy12 has a brilliant futuretheboy12 has a brilliant futuretheboy12 has a brilliant futuretheboy12 has a brilliant futuretheboy12 has a brilliant futuretheboy12 has a brilliant futuretheboy12 has a brilliant futuretheboy12 has a brilliant future

Name: Jon
theboy12's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
Don't know why anyone would put lift before tires.. you could lift your truck 10 foot but still not have traction with the stock tires..
Sometimes tiresize results in a need for lift. I had to lift first so my tires would fit. Why waste time buying tires and having them for 50k if your going to want bigger tires and will need a lift.

2 cents,
-Jon
Old 04-19-2013, 04:43 PM   #49
TanaTaco is a name known to allTanaTaco is a name known to allTanaTaco is a name known to allTanaTaco is a name known to allTanaTaco is a name known to allTanaTaco is a name known to all

Name: James
TanaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
We should try to get a meetup going for the Badlands. Looks like tires are winning so far. I have the Hankook DynaPro MT, Firestone Destination M/T, and Mud-Terrain T/A® KM2 in mind. Anyone got an opinion on which is better or if there is a better tire out there? I have an extra set of the toyota steel wheels that I plan to mount them on.
I got the goodyear wrangler authority's for my stock taco last week. 245/75/16 were $750 mounted and the 265/75/16 were only about $10 more a tire. They do awesome in every season and on/off road. I had them on my old T100 and absolutely loved them. Last week the day after I got them I went wheeling with a couple buddies, I made it further then the both of them. One was in a dodge cummins with brandnew 37" duratracs, the other was in a cherokee with 90% 33" cooper stt's. Granted the vehicle makes a big difference but they were all in aw at what the cheap tires could do.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:56 AM   #50
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Tires
Old 04-20-2013, 08:55 AM   #51
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
ok, fine, it can be done.. but not safetly really.. rubbing can be dangerouse... I put 285/75/16 duratracs on.. no way those would fit without some major rubbing. but in the end.. I fully agree.. tires are more important than lift. this is the first truck ive had that was lifted.. never really needed it.. it was alwayse the tires that matterd..
Lifts of 3" and less have no impact on what tire fits without rubbing. It only changes the amount of compression needed to rub. If you have proper clearancing and cab mount chop you can fit a 285 width 33" tire the same as a lifted truck with no rubbing. Again, it is an often repeated falsehood on this forum that a lift makes room for larger tires. It does not. It can do the opposite and make rubbing more likely, but never makes extra room... ever. The way it can make rubbing more likely is via added caster with an after market UCA.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:52 PM   #52
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What is the best way to improve the off-road ability of a non-TDR 4x4 V6? I'm running 100% stock at the moment with highway tires. I have budget of about $1,000. Here are my ideas, but shoot me some suggestions.
  1. Off-road tires
  2. 5100's
  3. Bud Built skid plates
  4. Rear locker

Abs killswitch...........
Old 04-20-2013, 07:16 PM   #53
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboy12 View Post
Sometimes tiresize results in a need for lift. I had to lift first so my tires would fit. Why waste time buying tires and having them for 50k if your going to want bigger tires and will need a lift.

2 cents,
-Jon
There is no tire & lift option, it's either, or. Tires are the by far better than a lift as a first Offroad mod, I already stated that 90 some off percent of the members do both at once before.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:21 PM   #54
dtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dtmccray's Tacoma Gallery
I have to go with rear locker. Doesn't matter what tires you have if you unload 1 front and 1 rear you are stuck. You should be able to find a wrecked trd and snag the rear fairly cheap. Next would be tires.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:34 PM   #55
Toyota Addict
Trowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Trowbocop's Tacoma Gallery
I put sliders on first- because I was stock height, I needed armor bad.

Next was tires

Followed by Rear Bumper & Suspension at the same time (I was rear ended- and they gave me a bunch of $$ to play with)

Old 04-21-2013, 07:53 PM   #56
Maximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: D
Maximus's Tacoma Gallery
I put on sliders first, then lift, then beefed up skids, then finally tires. Now waiting for my rear plate bumper to arrive.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:06 PM   #57
Plannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Plannerman99's Tacoma Gallery
Sliders
Old 04-22-2013, 01:24 PM   #58
War Eagle!!
aubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
aubi1414's Tacoma Gallery
I said lift, but def lift (5100's w/ aal or leaf pack) + tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcharias View Post
Tires will determine your lift. Lift without tires looks awkward. Do both at the same time, and there's your first mod.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:20 PM   #59
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Tires, Lockers, Sliders, Skids

Armor doesn't make you more "capable" off road, just saves you from damage.

Get tires and locked up then plate everything up, imo.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:26 PM   #60
walter is on a distinguished road
walter's Tacoma Gallery
Moon visor, truck nuts, 265/75 tires and sliders