Lift 51 22.97%
Locker 20 9.01%
Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-17-2013, 10:01 AM   #1
eric0947 is on a distinguished road
Name: Chuck
eric0947's Tacoma Gallery
Best First Off-Road Mod

What is the best way to improve the off-road ability of a non-TDR 4x4 V6? I'm running 100% stock at the moment with highway tires. I have budget of about $1,000. Here are my ideas, but shoot me some suggestions.
  1. Off-road tires
  2. 5100's
  3. Bud Built skid plates
  4. Rear locker
Old 04-17-2013, 10:03 AM   #2
MGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Matt
MGMTacoFF's Tacoma Gallery
I would get sliders and skid plates first if I had to do it again. A rear locker is very nice though since you are a not TRD.

Matt
Old 04-17-2013, 10:04 AM   #3
Grumpy old man - get off my lawn
rleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant future
Name: Roger
rleete's Tacoma Gallery
Tires, without a doubt.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:04 AM   #4
subaru of america
rickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ricky
rickmeseke's Tacoma Gallery
if you can install the locker yourself then locker, but i vote tires. tires make a huge difference.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:08 AM   #5
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Infantry
Name: Seth
ntilehman's Tacoma Gallery
Tires is a no brainer man.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:14 AM   #6
Vaginas are rad.
Boone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boone's Tacoma Gallery
Not on the list, but winch and recovery equipment gets my vote.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:18 AM   #7
New Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Retired
Name: Fred
New Mexico Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Non TRd

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric0947 View Post
What is the best way to improve the off-road ability of a non-TDR 4x4 V6? I'm running 100% stock at the moment with highway tires. I have budget of about $1,000. Here are my ideas, but shoot me some suggestions.
  1. Off-road tires
  2. 5100's
  3. Bud Built skid plates
  4. Rear locker
I thought a TRD would be nice when I was buying my 2010 Access cab V6 4X4 but have never felt I needed it after I put off road tires and a lift.
3 inches is more than enough if your are not into trails that are hard core.
Like what has been said many times on this website it is mostly between the ears when the going gets rough.
You didn't mention the year of your Tacoma.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:31 AM   #8
Photos

It's a 2009 - Check out the photos of some mild off-road action at the Badlands in Indiana.
Attached Thumbnails
Best First Off-Road Mod-image_2.jpg   Best First Off-Road Mod-photo-3.jpg   Best First Off-Road Mod-photo-1.jpg  
Old 04-17-2013, 10:36 AM   #9
uncoordinated dirtbox
Brandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
Brandon9402's Tacoma Gallery
5100s and tires. hell just tires would surprise you what you can do. I have a prerunner with no locker and I can do a good bit when I have good tires
Old 04-17-2013, 10:42 AM   #11
TacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud of

Name: Jake
TacoBurrito07's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcharias View Post
Tires will determine your lift. Lift without tires looks awkward. Do both at the same time, and there's your first mod.
This^^^^^
then sliders
Old 04-17-2013, 10:50 AM   #12
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Infantry
Name: Seth
ntilehman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It's a 2009 - Check out the photos of some mild off-road action at the Badlands in Indiana.

The badlands are great time. I use to camp there a couple times a year and ride dirtbikes and quads.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:51 PM   #13
We should try to get a meetup going for the Badlands. Looks like tires are winning so far. I have the Hankook DynaPro MT, Firestone Destination M/T, and Mud-Terrain T/A KM2 in mind. Anyone got an opinion on which is better or if there is a better tire out there? I have an extra set of the toyota steel wheels that I plan to mount them on.
Attached Thumbnails
Best First Off-Road Mod-firestone_destination_m_t.jpg   Best First Off-Road Mod-hankook_rt_03.jpg   Best First Off-Road Mod-mud-terrain_t-a_km2.jpg  
Old 04-17-2013, 01:34 PM   #14
r3dn3ck13 is on a distinguished road

Name: Clayton
r3dn3ck13's Tacoma Gallery
Don't have actual facts or stats for ya, but I would go with the km2's. love them.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:36 PM   #15
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Don't know why anyone would put lift before tires.. you could lift your truck 10 foot but still not have traction with the stock tires..
Old 04-17-2013, 01:43 PM   #16
CASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
CASTRATE's Tacoma Gallery
Rear diff breather relocate
Old 04-17-2013, 01:47 PM   #17
Banned
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
We should try to get a meetup going for the Badlands. Looks like tires are winning so far. I have the Hankook DynaPro MT, Firestone Destination M/T, and Mud-Terrain T/A KM2 in mind. Anyone got an opinion on which is better or if there is a better tire out there? I have an extra set of the toyota steel wheels that I plan to mount them on.
goodgear duratrac is a great choice.. and if you drive in snow its a better choice imo.
P.S. I love the badlands..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
Don't know why anyone would put lift before tires.. you could lift your truck 10 foot but still not have traction with the stock tires..

I did lift first, then tires second.. cant put 285's on a truck before a lift.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:14 PM   #19
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
I did lift first, then tires second.. cant put 285's on a truck before a lift.
You can it will just rub, I ran 285/70/16s and I think I could run them with no lift honestly, there is also a member who ran 285/75/16 on stock suspension. Going by the title of the thread though, tires are more important, but I would guess 90 something percent of people do tires with the lift
Old 04-17-2013, 02:23 PM   #20
Banned
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
You can it will just rub, I ran 285/70/16s and I think I could run them with no lift honestly, there is also a member who ran 285/75/16 on stock suspension. Going by the title of the thread though, tires are more important, but I would guess 90 something percent of people do tires with the lift

ok, fine, it can be done.. but not safetly really.. rubbing can be dangerouse... I put 285/75/16 duratracs on.. no way those would fit without some major rubbing. but in the end.. I fully agree.. tires are more important than lift. this is the first truck ive had that was lifted.. never really needed it.. it was alwayse the tires that matterd..