Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Newbie what can I do and modification ?'s

Old 04-17-2013, 11:04 AM   #1
sciencerabbit is on a distinguished road

Name: John
sciencerabbit's Tacoma Gallery
Question Newbie what can I do and modification ?'s

I got my first Taco yesterday and I'm planning projects for when my bank account comes out of shock. I would appreciate any ideas, suggestions, or places to buy parts online!

The Truck-
2013 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab. V4 2.7L 2x4
Metallic Grey with Tented Windows.

I didn't get any options other than the PreRunner because this purchase was mainly about having a truck with room for two car seats in the back. Now I want to plan on slowly adding to my base truck to improve it without anything crazy like doing a motor swap.

Plans-
I bought the 2.7 motor on purpose because I commute 20-30 minutes to work every day. I know its not going to be an off road-er but I would still like it to look "tough" without being that guy with a jacked up truck that can barely turn its own wheels.

Questions-
1. Have been looking for a tow hitch for the 2013 without any luck. are the 2012 hitches the same? What size hitch do you recommend for light hauling (small boat, 10 foot trailer, etc)? And do you think my truck is capable of putting a boat in the water?

2. I noticed that even though I did not get the back up camera option the wires are run through my tailgate and I got some back up camera adapter thingy in my glove box. What would it take to install a back up camera?

3. What are the generally recommended things to change about the truck without sacrificing fuel economy or safety (got two babies that have to ride in this thing)

Old 04-17-2013, 11:09 AM   #2

Also, I cant find mufflers that "fit" my car on amazon, can I assume that 2012 parts fit the 2013 or are there differences I need to know about?
Old 04-17-2013, 11:15 AM   #3
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
2012 stuff will fit your truck.
you can add the backup cam, cruis control and some other nice things.. just search on here.. there are several how to's congrats on your rig!
Old 04-17-2013, 11:16 AM   #4
subaru of america
rickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ricky
rickmeseke's Tacoma Gallery
meaty tires will make any truck look tough as long as it isnt a hodge ridgeline

as far as towing, you likely get a aftermarket class 3 hitch cheaper then you would having to wait/scavage craigslist for someone getting rid of theirs.

your truck will easily pull a small boat in and out of water
Old 04-17-2013, 11:18 AM   #5
ZoMbiE aLeRt
choppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
choppersx's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome man! Heres a list :

Weathertech floor mats
Plasti dip your wheels if you not buying wheels soon / plastic dip any color but i will go with matte black.
Dome lights replace with LED's and license plate light as well.
Headlights i replace them with brighter ones
Fog lights too
etc..
theres are a few i started with besides my wheels i have the TRD 17 wheel.

Good luck! and enjoy giving the bank another shocker LOL!
Old 04-17-2013, 11:18 AM   #6
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

read this.. its a long list of tricks and mods. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...mods-more.html
Old 04-17-2013, 11:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppersx View Post

Plasti dip your wheels if you not buying wheels soon / plastic dip any color but i will go with matte black.

Great idea! Is there a thread on this you could link to with instructions?
Old 04-17-2013, 12:01 PM   #8
ZoMbiE aLeRt
choppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
choppersx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencerabbit View Post
Great idea! Is there a thread on this you could link to with instructions?
yeah theres a few threads but i'll go with the videos on youtube. its pretty easy.
Cans go for $6 in change at Home Depot. Good Luck!
Old 04-17-2013, 12:12 PM   #9

Hey guys, I have been searching around for the last 30 minutes or so for a thread on the backup camera, all I can find are people who want to move the picture to the radio screen.

Anyone know of a thread that detail backup camera install on a taco without one already in it?

This might be my first mod, because 1) I have little ones and dogs running around, and 2) I switched to the Taco from a Pontiac Grand Prix so I'm still getting used to the size difference.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:57 PM   #10
Bad Spuller

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ll-2008-a.html
Old 04-18-2013, 11:16 AM   #11

Anyone know if I can use an aftermarket backup camera with the existing wires? 150 bucks is a bit much for just a camera, not to mention the rear-view mirror!