Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

King Extended Travel Coilover Question

Old 04-18-2013, 10:55 PM   #1
xpocad has a spectacular aura aboutxpocad has a spectacular aura about

Name: Bryan
xpocad's Tacoma Gallery
King Extended Travel Coilover Question

Hey guys, Ive been around here for a while now, Just never really posted any questions, but I cant seem to find the answer to this one...

I have a 2012 doublecab 4x4 Taco and am looking into getting Ext Travel King Coil overs and TC UCA's. I plan to max out the lift as much as I can. 3"? maybe 3.5" if It is capable (DSMS told me 2 3/4" max is all the coilovers can do on a 4x4)

This will obviously put preload and make the ride stiffer. If I go with a 1" longer spring, will it help make a softer ride?

Will it create any complications?

I dont do wheel every weekend. Maybe a couple times a month on sand. I hope to jump with this set up maybe a foot or two in the air or so.

Thanks
Bryan

A little Eye Candy -

Old 04-19-2013, 02:23 AM   #2
Island Cruiser is on a distinguished road
Island Cruiser's Tacoma Gallery
I'd extend my travel king coil over her any day.

Preloading a stiff over her soft ride, -oh sorry..
Old 04-19-2013, 03:32 AM   #4
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
They say 2-3/4" for the CVs
Old 04-19-2013, 12:07 PM   #5

xpocad's Tacoma Gallery
I heard that the longer spring may cause it to short stroke the shock, or bind and loose travel. Anyone have input on this?
Old 04-19-2013, 12:11 PM   #6
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
If you call DSM they can answer almost every question you have. For personal experience answers, more info is needed, like what type of wheeling you do.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:12 PM   #7
#texasforever
hudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hudson
hudhawk's Tacoma Gallery
Glad to see you posting Bryan
Old 04-19-2013, 12:33 PM   #8

xpocad's Tacoma Gallery
Large..Thanks for the input.

I updated my first post a bit. I play in the sand a lot, and hope to catch 1-2 feet of air on little jumps.

I asked downsouth but didnt really understand what short stroking or binding was. But they did not recommend it.

Hey Hudson, Nice to see you on here man!
Old 04-21-2013, 12:27 PM   #9

xpocad's Tacoma Gallery
Anybody have any issues with vibrations with the king ext travel coil overs?
Old 04-21-2013, 12:29 PM   #10
Red
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Vibes are likely to be caused by the drive shaft angle after a lift installation, there are several cures but its trial and error basically.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:38 PM   #11
You're no good to me dead
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
I have extended kings and tc ucas. My kings have the 700lb coils and the ride great, very smooth...
Old 04-21-2013, 12:55 PM   #12
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Infantry
Name: Seth
ntilehman's Tacoma Gallery
I got some ext kings a few months ago. They come with a 14" 600lb spring. This didn't make sense to me because they compress just to get the adjuster collar on the shock body. With the a arms i had made it lifted it way up. I didn't like it that high so i had them changed to a 12" 600lb spring. This lets me actually adjust using the collar. I say the 12" spring has less chance to bind because it's not compressed to just get it on like the 14". No vibrations out of mine. Driveline issue more than likely.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:03 PM   #13

xpocad's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info guys.

I think I may go with a 650lb spring for when I get a winch and a plate bumper