Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Is my fuel gauge light retarded?

Old 04-19-2013, 12:21 AM   #1
digitaLbraVo is on a distinguished road
digitaLbraVo's Tacoma Gallery
Is my fuel gauge light retarded?

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1...g?t=1366355767

So I have always been bothered by this, specifically on this truck less so on my car I drove before, the fuel gauge appears to be extremely far off??

I pulled into a gas station maybe... 10 minutes after snapping this picture (2/3mi later?) and proceeded to drop in only 16.75gal of fuel (OW) what is the light doing on when the 21 gallon tank should, in theory, get about another nearly 70 miles??

Is this normal? Do you all notice similar behavior on your truck too, at about 4/5 gallons remaining you're well under the last 1/4 tank mark? On a side note I religiously watch my fuel mileage and am aware per the manual the tank is 21 gallons so I know what my max per trip meter (I reset one every fill up to watch my mileage) I say that because I don't completely trust the fuel gauge and never have/will in any car as it'll move when you're on hills and things. It just makes me wonder if it's off or something?
Old 04-19-2013, 12:22 AM   #2
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Normal

If the light came on when the tank was empty , it wouldn't serve much purpose
Old 04-19-2013, 12:27 AM   #3
digitaLbraVo is on a distinguished road
digitaLbraVo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Normal

If the light came on when the tank was empty , it wouldn't serve much purpose
So I'm guessing it comes on at +/- 20%, since that's what the math works out to...
Old 04-19-2013, 04:32 AM   #4
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
Completely normal- the general rule is when the light comes on, there is about three gallons left with our trucks. (The Reserve) And, our tanks can take more then the 21 gals listed. Search the many threads on this subject...
Old 04-19-2013, 04:44 AM   #5
Hollywood Ball has much to be proud ofHollywood Ball has much to be proud ofHollywood Ball has much to be proud ofHollywood Ball has much to be proud ofHollywood Ball has much to be proud ofHollywood Ball has much to be proud ofHollywood Ball has much to be proud ofHollywood Ball has much to be proud ofHollywood Ball has much to be proud ofHollywood Ball has much to be proud of
Name: Steve
Hollywood Ball's Tacoma Gallery
I've gotten pretty complacent with the low fuel light because it does come on with so much gas still in the tank. Actually ran out of gas the other day! Doh! Luckily I was about 1/2 block from the neighborhood gas station when it happened and it was level or down hill, and there was no cars coming at me when I had to turn across traffic. Got pretty damn lucky.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:44 PM   #6
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
It doesn't cost any more to fill up at 1/4 mark. Just a little more often. Much safer than waiting for the idiot light.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:57 PM   #7
Utard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
Utard's Tacoma Gallery
Light comes on at 4 gals left in tank.

Yes it is for retarded people.

I don't mind the light coming on like that what pisses me off is when its on a 1/4 tank there should be only a 5.25 gals in the tank and that part is way off.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:22 PM   #8
DESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DESRTRNNR's Tacoma Gallery
i just purchased my tacoma about 2 weeks ago and have put 4 tanks in it so far.. if i fill it up when the light comes on i still have over 5 gallons left.. when i fill it up at the E mark, i still have 4 gallons left.. i really hate how far out of adjustment the gauge is.. today i drove across houston after it dipped below E and i still only put 18.6 gallons in it..
Old 04-19-2013, 08:32 PM   #9
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
Don't rely on that light unless you carry a jerry can. I used to always drive to the light on my last Tacoma (almost always filled up >400mi). The last time I did it the truck ran out a measly 4.7 miles after the light came on and even then it only took 18.5 gallons. Didn't kill the fuel pump and it ran out within rolling distance of a gas station; I was lucky.

I won't push my new truck that far.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:54 PM   #10
iJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of light
iJDub's Tacoma Gallery
My other car has a miles left indicator. It showed 7 miles left and I was 15 miles from the next gas station. I drove for at least 6 miles with it sayin 0 miles left. I even called tow truck already...I pulled into gas station without it dying. Exciting times.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:01 PM   #11
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utard View Post
Light comes on at 4 gals left in tank.

Yes it is for retarded people.

I don't mind the light coming on like that what pisses me off is when its on a 1/4 tank there should be only a 5.25 gals in the tank and that part is way off.
You can't rely on that percentage. The fuel tank is not perfectly shaped, and the fuel level sensor works on an arc, so the fuel gauge does NOT move linearly. That is why when you fill up all the way it takes a long time to come off "full", then seems to move pretty normal as it runs the peak of the arc, and then drops like a rock after 1/4 of a tank as it finishes the arc. So while a full tank IS still 21 gallons, 3/4 tank on the gauge is not right on the money at 15.75. 1/2 tank is reasonably close at 10.5 gallons, however still off due to tank shape, but again, due to the arc, 1/4 tank is not right at 5.25 gallons.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:12 PM   #12
Get off your horse and drink your milk.
teamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant future

teamamerica's Tacoma Gallery
i thought we had 18G tanks?!
Old 04-19-2013, 09:12 PM   #13
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamamerica View Post
i thought we had 18G tanks?!
80 litres actually
Old 04-19-2013, 09:17 PM   #14
Get off your horse and drink your milk.
teamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant future

teamamerica's Tacoma Gallery
that makes me feel dumb, my light came on after 16.5 gallons, and i was afraid to drive to work this morning (20 miles) tacomaworld is changing my views on life.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:22 PM   #15
jw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
My 11' Double cab, that light would come up at 60L. My now 13' Access Cab comes up at 70L. So yeah it's normal.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:02 PM   #16
drinking whats on sale
92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92dlxman's Tacoma Gallery
our trucks have a fuel light? never seen it. . . . wierd
Old 04-19-2013, 10:04 PM   #17
jw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92dlxman View Post
our trucks have a fuel light? never seen it. . . . wierd
Im sure yours is there.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:55 AM   #18
Utard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
Utard's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
You can't rely on that percentage. The fuel tank is not perfectly shaped, and the fuel level sensor works on an arc, so the fuel gauge does NOT move linearly. That is why when you fill up all the way it takes a long time to come off "full", then seems to move pretty normal as it runs the peak of the arc, and then drops like a rock after 1/4 of a tank as it finishes the arc. So while a full tank IS still 21 gallons, 3/4 tank on the gauge is not right on the money at 15.75. 1/2 tank is reasonably close at 10.5 gallons, however still off due to tank shape, but again, due to the arc, 1/4 tank is not right at 5.25 gallons.
We have been to the damn moon! I can expect more damit!
Old 04-20-2013, 05:29 PM   #19
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utard View Post
We have been to the damn moon! I can expect more damit!
As soon as the manufacturers decide to go with the more expensive linear sensors, we will be stuck with the arc sensors. Moon or no moon. lol.