Notices

Newbie Needing Help :((((

Old 04-19-2013, 01:49 PM   #1
C Simpson is on a distinguished road
Army: 101st Airborne
Name: Caleb
C Simpson's Tacoma Gallery
Newbie Needing Help :((((

Another newbie that is very confused about tires.... And who doesn't want to void warranty. I have recently bought a 2013 SR5 Tacoma. v6 acces cab 6 speed

I have read the tire forums and feel retarded. So I guess try to explain it like you would too a child.
So. I would like bigger tires on the stock wheels
and maybe a little more aggresive stance.

So size of tires
And wheel spacers???

Please feel free to give me any help. On this subject, or any other stuff you think I should keep in mind.
Thanks!
Old 04-19-2013, 01:53 PM   #2
Rylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedRylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedRylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedRylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedRylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedRylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedRylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedRylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedRylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedRylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedRylee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rylee
Rylee's Tacoma Gallery
1.25 spacers, 265/75 r16
may have to slightly trim fenderliner/bumper. but it fit mine fine when it was stock.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:56 PM   #3
Wild Ginger
BrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BrettBretterson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Simpson View Post
Another newbie that is very confused about tires.... And who doesn't want to void warranty. I have recently bought a 2013 SR5 Tacoma. v6 acces cab 6 speed

I have read the tire forums and feel retarded. So I guess try to explain it like you would too a child.

So size of tires
And wheel spacers???

Please feel free to give me any help. On this subject, or any other stuff you think I should keep in mind.
Thanks!
Replacing your tires won't void your warranty, so you don't even need to worry about that.

On your stock wheels, which I'm assuming are 16's, you can run a 265/75/16 without any rubbing.

If you want a wider stance with stock wheels, wheel spacers are the way to do it, but if you also install bigger tires with them at stock height, you're going to rub.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:00 PM   #4
TOYOTA.. Because barbie drives a jeep..
07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kris
07COMA801's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

So size of tires
And wheel spacers???

Thanks!
Im all stock susspension and wanted to go bigger too because mine were bald so i got some Toyo open country m/t 265/75r16 no spacers and 0 rubbing

Old 04-19-2013, 02:22 PM   #5
MikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shed
MikeyMcFly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettBretterson View Post
Replacing your tires won't void your warranty, so you don't even need to worry about that.

On your stock wheels, which I'm assuming are 16's, you can run a 265/75/16 without any rubbing.

If you want a wider stance with stock wheels, wheel spacers are the way to do it, but if you also install bigger tires with them at stock height, you're going to rub.
They can absolutely blame your tires for any/all problems you are experiencing. I could see them going as far as blaming transmission problems on the oversized tires, if they wanted to be really picky.

When I brought my truck in for the well publicized vibrations the dealer blamed the TRD package and "customer has very aggressive tires" as the source of the problem.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:32 PM   #6
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Bigger tires will not void your warranty. Are you looking at lifting in the future as well?
Old 04-19-2013, 02:42 PM   #7
rhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vladimir
rhavin42's Tacoma Gallery
My truck looked completely different when i swapped out the 265/65/17 dunlop street tires for some 265/70/17 Nitto AT tires.

Just the tread and sidewall design of the AT tires made a huge difference as far as making it look more aggressive.

Stock Tires

Nitto Terra Grapplers

Not the greatest pictures, but all I could find lying around, Don't think I took any before and after pics of the tire swap. Still might give you some idea how It changed.

Edit:
100% stock suspension, no rubbing or other issues, aside from the ~.5mpg loss going to larger AT tire.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:45 PM   #8
tacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
tacoma16's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMcFly View Post
They can absolutely blame your tires for any/all problems you are experiencing. I could see them going as far as blaming transmission problems on the oversized tires, if they wanted to be really picky.

When I brought my truck in for the well publicized vibrations the dealer blamed the TRD package and "customer has very aggressive tires" as the source of the problem.
In a nut shell the dealerships are a bunch of assholes who want to point the finger at someone else instead of taking responsibility and fixing the problem. HATE THE DEALERSHIP Assholes.

OP, as everyone is saying 265/75/16 will fit stock suspension and looks pretty aggressive. Spacers make it look even more aggressive.

more pictures for you

All stock suspension
Old 04-19-2013, 02:47 PM   #9
T1no33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT1no33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT1no33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT1no33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT1no33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT1no33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT1no33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT1no33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT1no33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT1no33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT1no33 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
T1no33's Tacoma Gallery
I went to 265/75 R16s and had to trim just the inside corner of the well. It took 2 second with a sawzaw and can't even see it. I did the spacers and although they made it look cooler I didn't like the ride and read a lot about the damage they can cause. Once I took the spacers off the ride went right back to being perfect.

We were all knew to the forum at one time so don't let it bother you if some people get on you about newbie stuff. Once you figure out TW it's a HUGE resource for you.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:03 PM   #10
rhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vladimir
rhavin42's Tacoma Gallery
I'm also of the opinion if it aint broke don't fix it. I got a good 30k miles on the stock tires before I switched them out.

I'd drive around on the stock tires till they go, by that time you'll have an idea of how you use your truck and what the best tire for what you do with it would be.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:08 PM   #11
Senor Taco
Mademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Mademan925's Tacoma Gallery
I lifted my truck 2 inches with 5100s on the front and put 265/70/17's on, same as 265/75/16s. Truck looks good now. I got $350 for my stock tires with 10,000 miles on them.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:22 PM   #12
Thanks!
Loving all the feed back you guys are a god send.

I'll def call my tech at the dealership(too good guy for working at a dealership) and ask him the details on the wheels. I'll def get some good use on stock tires or swap out when taking long trips. But I'll try to find some 265/75r16. Is the trimming much of anything or just a quick hit?
Old 04-19-2013, 05:24 PM   #13
tacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I have saging from sliders and skid plates and I still don't rub while driving with mud tires, just to give you some idea. Probably should mention that I don't have any stock mud flaps. Still have mud flaps on the front but they are just a flat piece of plastic.

Hope this helps you out.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:30 PM   #14
drinking whats on sale
92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92dlxman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks!
Loving all the feed back you guys are a god send.

I'll def call my tech at the dealership(too good guy for working at a dealership) and ask him the details on the wheels. I'll def get some good use on stock tires or swap out when taking long trips. But I'll try to find some 265/75r16. Is the trimming much of anything or just a quick hit?
you shouldn't have to trim at all, unless you run wheel spacers
Old 04-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #15
Sweet deal. I'll have to get looking for tires. Any suggestions?
Price is a variable, as with most people. But I'm willing to splurge for the right item)
Old 04-19-2013, 05:53 PM   #16

duratracs are probably one of the better all terrain tires out there. I would not suggest a mud tire if you are going to be driving in winter conditions.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:57 PM   #17
drinking whats on sale
92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mademan925 View Post
I lifted my truck 2 inches with 5100s on the front and put 265/70/17's on, same as 265/75/16s. Truck looks good now. I got $350 for my stock tires with 10,000 miles on them.
myself and this guy run the bastardized walmart version of the duratrac. I think its a great tire, though im sure the duratrac is better.

goodyear wrangler authority is the walmart version
Old 04-19-2013, 06:18 PM   #18
Senor Taco
Mademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Mademan925's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92dlxman View Post
myself and this guy run the bastardized walmart version of the duratrac. I think its a great tire, though im sure the duratrac is better.

goodyear wrangler authority is the walmart version

Love my authority's. They are cheap and great. I've got about 3,000 miles on them now. They have been in mud snow and sand no problem. They are considered an all terrain tire but they are very aggressive like an MT.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:19 PM   #19
drinking whats on sale

agreed. second truck I've run them on now. my buddy runs them on his overloaded welding truck and loves them also. not a job he cant get to lol