Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Broken leaf springs

Old 04-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #1
Mexicanjumpingoat is on a distinguished road
Name: Josh
Mexicanjumpingoat's Tacoma Gallery
Broken leaf springs

Hi guys I've broken three center leaves in my leaf springs this year alone two on the passenger side and one on the drivers side. It's beginning to get a bit ridiculous at $200 a pop. The guy at the spring shop told me that if he put in a fourth leaf on each side that I wouldn't break them any more. Now would this actually work or where they just looking to make money off my stupidity?
Old 04-19-2013, 04:58 PM   #2
drinking whats on sale
92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92dlxman's Tacoma Gallery
I think another leaf would help. I highly recommend the 3 leaf progressive add a leaf from wheelersoffroad.com, but that would lift you up a bit.

where do your springs break? in the middle or more toward the end?
Old 04-19-2013, 05:06 PM   #4
drinking whats on sale
92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nice. I never noticed those before! at that price though I would probly have to go with the alcan 8 leaf pack
Old 04-19-2013, 05:07 PM   #5
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92dlxman View Post
nice. I never noticed those before! at that price though I would probly have to go with the alcan 7 leaf pack
These are for heavy loads , I've read quite a few people on here complaining about the Alcans sagging with loads
Old 04-19-2013, 05:09 PM   #6
drinking whats on sale

I see. . . sagging is no fun
Old 04-19-2013, 05:10 PM   #7
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
Alcans are going to be at least $600if not more.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:13 PM   #8
drinking whats on sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingston73 View Post
Alcans are going to be at least $600if not more.
vs $500 for the wheelers branded pack, which looks like its made by alcan anyway
Old 04-19-2013, 05:23 PM   #9
All three of them have broken right at the center bolt
Old 04-19-2013, 05:34 PM   #10
drinking whats on sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexicanjumpingoat View Post
All three of them have broken right at the center bolt
perfect, that's what I assumed so yes, in my mind, adding a leaf or three would help distribute the spring perch's load on the Toyota springs. they will help reduce axle wrap, which I guess is your culprit. if they are breaking from power sliding into curbs, I cant help much
Old 04-19-2013, 05:42 PM   #11
Leoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Leo
Leoffensive's Tacoma Gallery
talk to OMD

username is 4WD

hes gotta thread let me link ya. he can help ya out

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...urbishing.html

lots of happy customers!
Old 04-19-2013, 06:04 PM   #13
The last time one broke it was the drivers side (it's still broken btw) it was about 3 days after I had the passenger side replaced. I haven't hauled anything with the truck since last summer, the only thing I can think of is my road got a bit muddy that week.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:07 PM   #14
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexicanjumpingoat View Post
The last time one broke it was the drivers side (it's still broken btw) it was about 3 days after I had the passenger side replaced. I haven't hauled anything with the truck since last summer, the only thing I can think of is my road got a bit muddy that week.
I'd think they'd have to be extremely rusted out to just randomly "snap"

Hmmm...
Old 04-19-2013, 06:07 PM   #15
Leoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

how hard you pushing your truck in the mud?
Old 04-19-2013, 06:09 PM   #16
hetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant future
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
listen to your spring guy...
Old 04-19-2013, 06:10 PM   #17
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
I'd think they'd have to be extremely rusted out to just randomly "snap"

Hmmm...
What about U bolt torque ?
Old 04-19-2013, 06:10 PM   #18
I've only taken it off road once the road I live on is still technically a road even though I utilized my skid plates on a few ruts but even then it was slow 1st gear 4wd up the hill
Old 04-19-2013, 06:16 PM   #19
All within a week I broke two leaf springs my windshield cracked and my drivers side front wheel bearing went
Old 04-19-2013, 06:21 PM   #20

lol how about a pic of your "driveway" lol