Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Towing my RV

Old 04-19-2013, 05:00 PM   #1
Yayarisa is on a distinguished road
Name: Dave
Yayarisa's Tacoma Gallery
Towing my RV

I am pulling a 3500 pound RV w my 6 cyl Tacoma rated at towing 5000 pounds. How can I get more power? Or make sure I don't damage the engine? I keep it at 2000 RPM unless I approach hills where i have to get to around 3000 RPM. All at around 60 mph to 65 mph. Any suggestions?
Old 04-19-2013, 05:11 PM   #2
drinking whats on sale
92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92dlxman's Tacoma Gallery
sounds like its doing fine! I would worry about the transmission more than anything, do you have the factory tow package or trans cooler otherwise?
Old 04-19-2013, 05:20 PM   #3
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
I have pulled my camper about the same weight thousands of miles no big deal it is what it is the only thing that will give you a noticeable power increase is a super charger. If it's rated 5K it probably has a tow package.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:25 PM   #5
Dogs & cats, living together! Mass hysteria!
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yayarisa View Post
I am pulling a 3500 pound RV w my 6 cyl Tacoma rated at towing 5000 pounds. How can I get more power? Or make sure I don't damage the engine? I keep it at 2000 RPM unless I approach hills where i have to get to around 3000 RPM. All at around 60 mph to 65 mph. Any suggestions?
Welcome to TW!

Check out the Towing forum, and this thread in particular. You'll find answers to questions you didn't even know to ask.

Engine damage is much less of a concern than transmission damage. If you don't have a transmission cooler (one is included with the Toyota factory tow package), add one. Check your owner's manual, but it's usually recommended to tow in D4 instead of D to keep the transmission out of overdrive (5th gear). Beyond that, don't be afraid to manually shift when going up or down hills. Toyota has done a good job with the programming, but there are still times I manually shift the transmission on grades.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:30 PM   #7
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadToy View Post
Tow package is rated for 6500 lbs. non tow package is 5k.
I though non-tow was 3500, or is that just for the 2.7?
Old 04-20-2013, 12:52 AM   #8
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
3500 is the weight limit for towing from the bumper.

I've seen varying opinions on what happens to the weight limit when you put on a Class IV hitch. Either it's still 3500, or it is the lower of 5000 or the max hitch rating.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:35 AM   #9
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
They are not all 6500# it depends on the truck build. 3300 to 6500# Look at your owner’s manual if in doubt (nothing is listed for 5000#) there are pages and pages of towing info in it. Converter slip is what makes the heat it would probably be best to lock out the O/D when towing unless it's really flat yes the trans has a lockup converter but any pull against a TT most likely will disconnect the lockup while in O/D. 6500# is a ridicules figure for something as light as the Taco you could latterly pick up the entire truck by the hitch but it does give a margin of error I would rather tow something at 3400# and know it rated for much more weight instead of only 3500#.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:41 AM   #10
Silver Streak is on a distinguished road
Silver Streak's Tacoma Gallery
2.7L 3500 lbs
4.0L 6500
considering both have tow pack
Old 04-20-2013, 07:52 AM   #11
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Streak View Post
2.7L 3500 lbs
4.0L short bed 6500
4.0L long bed 6000
considering both have tow pack
Ftfy
Old 04-20-2013, 08:01 AM   #12
08TacoTrD will become famous soon enough
08TacoTrD's Tacoma Gallery
Towing in 5th is fine as long as he tranny is not hunting up and down for gears. If it is then downshift it into 4th to prevent excessive heat buildup and tranny failure.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:59 PM   #13
Thanks for all the replies. Awesome information. I checked with Toyota dealer service dept. The trans oil cooler is $800 just for part. That is a bit steep.Does anyone know if there a less expensive after market trans oil cooler?
Old 04-25-2013, 03:18 PM   #14
Boone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boone Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Check out Summit Racing. I've ordered things like that in the past. Fuel cells, aux. coolers, etc. And they are decently cheap for some pretty good quality stuff. Go see your local speed shops as well, they will often times have things like that on the shelf.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:13 PM   #15
miniceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cook, 589th Combat Engineers, Ahn Khe, RVN
Name: Jim
miniceptor86's Tacoma Gallery
Hayden is a good name in trans coolers, 70-80 usd, easy install. The engine will run forever at 4-5k rpm. Far better to let it rev than pull hard at low rpms, but then the auto wouldn't let that happen.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:58 PM   #16
Boone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boone Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniceptor86 View Post
Hayden is a good name in trans coolers, 70-80 usd, easy install. The engine will run forever at 4-5k rpm. Far better to let it rev than pull hard at low rpms, but then the auto wouldn't let that happen.
It will if manually shifted.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:29 AM   #17
miniceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cook, 589th Combat Engineers, Ahn Khe, RVN
Name: Jim
miniceptor86's Tacoma Gallery
My auto does a very good job of selecting the proper gear all by itself. Just need to use d4 with the TT.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:46 AM   #18
Thanks again. This forum is great. All advice is truly appreciated.