1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

question for experts in stick shift

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by predental, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Feb 17, 2009 at 11:46 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    They're all doing the same thing. Heel-toeing, double-clutching and rev matching are similar techniques. Double-clutching is using rev matching when he hits the gas between the shifts. Heel-toeing is an advanced double-clutching technique for braking using the brakes and engine braking and is used primarily for racing (I wouldn't worry about that one). "Clutch in, change gear, clutch out" is probably how most people shift and is more jerky. The rev matching and/or double clutching are the better methods because it'll preserve your clutch.

2. Feb 17, 2009 at 11:55 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.

FFS!!!

3. Feb 18, 2009 at 5:34 AM
    sammy

sammy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    '09 4X4 Reg. Cab, Debadged Barcelona Red
    seat belt chime inter. wipers debadged canvas top (Bestop)
    This is the way I drive. I use brakes, clutch in, and neutral most of the time. I only down shift when the gear I'm in is not strong enough to pull the vehicle. I rarely look at the tach. After time you will get the hang of it. I learned manual on my buddies 65 mustang a long time ago. It's all by feel now, it just comes natural.
    It sounds like you are down shifting every time you need to slow down. There is no need to do that. There is no need to down shift every time you come up to a red light or have to slow down a bit. All you are doing to adding more wear and tear on your engine, clutch and trans. You are also using more gas than you have to. Changing gears and being able to coast is part of the reason manuals get better mpg than an auto.
    After some time driving you will begin to feel what is smooth.

4. Feb 18, 2009 at 6:40 AM
    cakmakli

cakmakli Finally made it - U.S. Army Retired

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    Dude, I think you are putting way too much thought into this.

When I hit somewhere between 2,500 and 3,000 RPMs, I'll upshift. When I get down to around 1,000 RPMs I'll downshift.

After awhile you'll get a feel of how the truck feels and sounds and you don't have to think about it. It just comes natural.

5. Feb 18, 2009 at 7:04 AM
    gonzo6up

gonzo6up Well-Known Member

Member:
    Middle Tn
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma SR5 4x4 sport
    tint/ vent visors/ seatbelt chime mod/ DTRL Mod
    Hey man i've driving stick shifts since i was about 12. I learned on a 58 dodge with a 3 on the tree and almost every vehicle i have owned was a stick shift. The way i learned about downshifting was pay attention to the rpm range of each gear either by sound or the tach, once you know what gear is what by the tach or sound you will know what gear you can downshift from. Like if your 2nd gear runs up to 30mph , 3K rpms you know that you can't downshift to that gear until you are going slower than 30mph to keep from over reving the engine. This could be your rule of thumb for the rest of the gears also. Personally i don't downshift unless i have to make a quick stop or if traffic requires a different speed/gear. Maybe this made sense

6. Feb 18, 2009 at 7:44 AM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    So, to clarify one thing.... do not double clutch. It is not necessary with modern clutches (except for racing clutches, ect... which the taco does not have).

It'll be rough for awhile... but you'll figure it out. The other thing to learn is.... some styles suit people in better ways. Personally I stick with the kiss method for most (Keep It Simple Stupid). You can safely blip the throttle with the clutch depressed in transition to the other gear.

Also as said by others... it's not necessary to downshift while slowing down. Honestly, I hardly ever did, and if I did I was either a) anticipating the light to change before stopping, or b) loving that rev'd VQ35 sound :p One of the perks to a stick is being able to coast to stop. HOWEVER... it is technically illegal in most states (AZ being one). Though, honestly.... everyone does it. Just realize if you push the big go peddle you ain't moving in neutral ;D Timing is the biggest part of it all on downshifting. It's just something that'll come with more time and experiance. Once you master it though... you can't go back :p (I know I got an auto, but I got a 5spd stick sitting out side that just needs to be fixed up)

7. Feb 18, 2009 at 10:15 AM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    Even with a modern transmission, it's better to double clutch when downshifting.

8. Feb 18, 2009 at 4:54 PM
    Tacoma215

Tacoma215 New Member

Member:
    i'm learning stick as well. is it okay to downshift frmo 5th gear to 3rd gear? for example on the freeway, you see people slowing down ahead. if i am in 5th gear @ 60mph then i end up at 30mph. can i automatically go into 3rd gear? thank you

9. Feb 18, 2009 at 4:58 PM
    FlawedXJ

FlawedXJ mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NorAla
    Vehicle:
    13 F150 FX4, 99 jeep xj, 04 msm miata
    I actually have a jeep now. Imagine that.
    not automatically....if you slam on your breaks hard enough you might as well hit neutral ( thats if your coming to a stop)

If your slowing down to 30 and continue at 30 then you might as well shift outta 5th, coast and then put it into the appropriate gear for that speed.

10. Feb 18, 2009 at 5:13 PM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    If you mean do you have to shift to 4th before shifting to 3rd, no. You can just go from 5th to 3rd as long as the gear is appropriate for your current speed.

11. Feb 18, 2009 at 5:22 PM
    Rtrn2taco

Rtrn2taco Nostalgia...

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC PreRunner (silver)
    As a beginner I think it is best to use the clutch/neutral/brake method. You will eventually become more comfortable over time and the double clutching will then come naturely. Atleast thats how I learned.

12. Feb 18, 2009 at 5:45 PM
    TheSchwartz

TheSchwartz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Smithsburg, MD
    Vehicle:
    '11 DC/LB SR5 Magnetic Gray
    Avid BullBar, BFG 265/75R16, remote car starter, Slim's HID heads and fogs
    I’ve been driving sticks since I was about 14 and I have been driving tractor trailers for the past five years. In small vehicles I use the brakes and down shift when the time is right. Also I have only Double clutched in Unsynchronized transmissions (T/T). Newer tranys in light vehicles are synchronized and double clutching in unnecessary. ("IF YOU CANT FIND THEM......GRIND THEM!!)

13. Feb 18, 2009 at 6:14 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    I have a thought (surprising, isn't it?): Does this not sound to everyone else like the "surge" issue or "unintended acceleration" that one or two folks insist is a mechanical problem? You know, like the thread from last night, also posted here: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=286655

14. Feb 18, 2009 at 7:52 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    The surge issue is with the automatic transmissions at a full stop. If you're holding the brake fairly lightly, the transmission will eventually downshift back to first (why it waits so long I can't figure out). When it does that, it gets that extra torque from the lower gearing and it's enough force to 'lunge' the truck forward overpowering the current braking force. My truck does it... but honestly it's NOT that bad. People that complain about being worried they'll hit the car in front of them need to break the habit of stopping 2" from the person in front of them.

Also as stated... double clutching is not necessary. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_clutch

15. Feb 18, 2009 at 8:26 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    The A/T "lurch" is not what I'm referring to. Read the link I posted.

16. Feb 18, 2009 at 9:58 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Ok well, if that's an "issue" then... yea. Honestly, I can't believe a word that guy posted. The only possible scenario there is is the acceleration cable came loose, or disconnected somehow. It's not an electronic controlled throttle. So... I smell BS.

17. Feb 18, 2009 at 11:41 PM
    Okkine

Okkine Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma, V6, Manual Transmission, 4x4
    I think the key is to just keep practicing. I've been driving standard for 11 years, and it still took around three weeks for it to truly become second nature when I got my new Taco back in December. Every vehicle you drive is going to behave differently... different shift points, clutch will to engage in different spots, and so on. The fact that you're learning to drive a standard is going to add a bit more of a learning curve. You're going to be driving one day, when it suddenly hits you that you're not thinking about it any more. Good Luck.

18. Feb 19, 2009 at 9:56 AM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
  19. Feb 19, 2009 at 10:41 AM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    I always laugh at movies where the 'hero' randomly jumps in x car and shifts like it was natural... lol.

20. Feb 19, 2009 at 10:52 AM
    2qwik4u

2qwik4u Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indian Head, MD
    Vehicle:
    09 Regular Cab Prerunner
    ARE Z-series Cap
    Stick with it Predental, you're not the only one. I decided to jump into the M/T pool as well when I got my Taco. I've got just over 1000 miles of experience now, and it still gets frustrating at times. Practice, practice, practice.

Products Discussed in

To Top