Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

help! some ideas on a surfboard mount to rail!?

Old 04-20-2013, 12:54 AM   #1
Burrito Member
Sdfitted is on a distinguished road

Name: AJ
Sdfitted's Tacoma Gallery
help! some ideas on a surfboard mount to rail!?

So in order to save space, not move, and look rad IMO I want to build some sort of J hook with a bungee to attach my board to the stock bed rail with the existing lock sliders as seen in the pics... But going about doing it I'm kind of lost...

Any help or prior trials of something
Old 04-20-2013, 01:57 AM   #2
jackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to behold
Name: Jack
jackrules's Tacoma Gallery
Theres definitely some potential for this.

What I do is so

I drape a towel over the side of the bed, over the wheel well, and a lay it out a little across the bed and I put the board on it's side resting up against the wheel well. I then drape the towel over the board and I generally put towels over the front and back of the board. I then keep a cleat in the track system near the back window of the truck and I have a long bungie cord that I pull back to the D ring in the corner of the bed. It holds the board in there extremely well. My friends made fun of me for "over" tying down my board but I like it that way.

I think it would be really cool to mount a rack on the bed rails. If it were mer, I'd get a wall mount rack and then attach some small steel plates to the track system by using bolts with large washers and then I would mount the rack to those plats.

Really though, I think it'd be over kill to have a rack system in your bed.. the towel and bungie method worked well for me. I hope to see where this goes!

Check the board in the background. My 7'6" has to lay over the tail gate as it does in the pic.

Old 04-20-2013, 02:44 AM   #3
Burrito Member

Ya I hear ya I'm using bungees right now just doing an x across the bed but its kind of annoying. I see what you did I dig it, I've always wanted a bed cage and incorporate some sort of board mount but I'm not tearing this truck up jusssst yet. I've seen the bolts through the existing mounts that you're talking about, back to the drawing board!
Old 07-13-2013, 04:47 PM   #4
Burrito Member

So I built it! All PVC 3/4", I can add to it it's not complete but that's the main rack. I can take the crossmember off that connects them and add more 45* s to have more racks. Works sweet so far! But I'm not found of the way it's connected to the bed rail. It's pretty solid on there but almost too solid a bitch to move lmk if you got any ideas tell me what you think

Once I get the foam on there and paint it black it should look not as kooky haha
Old 07-13-2013, 05:54 PM   #5
xyourlocaldjx is on a distinguished road
xyourlocaldjx's Tacoma Gallery
damn you and your long beds!!!!

whats the reason for needing a mount? i usually just toss the board in the truck bed and call it a day.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:28 PM   #6
TimmyC is on a distinguished road
Name: Tim
TimmyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyourlocaldjx View Post
damn you and your long beds!!!!

whats the reason for needing a mount? i usually just toss the board in the truck bed and call it a day.
Ditto. If it fits in the bed, why not just toss it in with a wetsuit & some gear to hold it down?
Old 07-14-2013, 02:15 AM   #7
Burrito Member

Sure ✌