1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trutrac in TRD offroad

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Super Werty, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Apr 20, 2013 at 10:16 AM
    Super Werty

Super Werty [OP] Sleeper 4x4

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Tacoma
    air and fuel
    I couldnt find it in a search but Im trying to figure out if a trutrac can be put in the TRD offroad. I dont fully understand diffs so maybe someone can enlighten me here. My only concern for it working is that the offroad already has a locking diff in 4x4 lo.

I want the trutrac so I can stop the one tire fire in 2wd.:p and no i dont want to try and make the stock locker work in 2wd

And part # and best place to buy the trutrac if it will indeed work.

Thanks guys:D

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  2. Apr 20, 2013 at 11:12 AM
    BradyT88

BradyT88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I would give east coast gear supply or just differentials a call and ask them, but I fear the answer you will find is that there isn't one available... You may have to look into doing a full rear end swap to a non e-locker rear end to run a tru-trac.

Or just do the e-locker in 2wd/4-Hi mod. You don't have to turn on the dragstrip anyway:rolleyes: haha

3. Apr 20, 2013 at 11:38 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    If you have TRD offroad then you can not install Truetrac in the rear.

4. Apr 20, 2013 at 11:44 AM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    Does your 07 OR not have the mechanical LSD or 'Auto LSD' by pushing the trac off button. For get which years they changed. Or am I missing something?

5. Apr 20, 2013 at 11:56 AM
    BradyT88

Member:
    He has an '07 offroad so he has the E-locker instead of mechanical LSD. Traction control systems weren't very common for the pre-09's systems. Besides my '05 has the traction control system and I have it setup to work like the auto LSD and it doesn't perform anywhere near the standard of what a trutrac does. Even with it I still get some heavy 1 tire fires. For Superwerty (incase you guys didn't know) he is one of the fastest TAcomas out there (if not "the fastest). He races his and just got a new monster URD S/C setup that will be badass!! The auto LSD just isn't going to hold up to the power he will be putting down. Besides the Auto LSD system works by applying the brakes to the spinning tire. Why would you want brakes when you're racing. The trutrac transfers that excess power to the other tire more efficiently.

If he is just doing drag racing, I am all for just locking that locker though! Drag cars are spooled anyway:cool: As for track racing though... A locker probably isn't ideal...

6. Apr 20, 2013 at 12:05 PM
    BradyT88

Member:
    Like the locker he already has:D I have only seen vids of him drag racing though. I assume if he is looking into a trutrac he is planning on doing more than just drag racing, or he doesn't like the idea of being locked while flying down the strip. Being fully locked in the rear can get sketchy of you lose control.

The other big perk to a trutrac, is it is always there and always on. Any time he steps down on the throttle it is there and working. With the locker you have to take the time to engage it and it doesn't always engage real quick.

7. Apr 20, 2013 at 2:14 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    Good question............subbed

8. Apr 20, 2013 at 4:42 PM
    Super Werty

Super Werty [OP] Sleeper 4x4

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Tacoma
    air and fuel
    sounds like i need to find a TRD sport who wants to swap rear ends

9. Apr 20, 2013 at 4:45 PM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    LT, Glass, CBI Front bumper, NWTI Rear bumper, 35s
    It is NOT possible. The e-locker carrier is smaller then the 8' open carrier. Find any other tacoma (6-lug) that doesn't have a locker and wants to trade.

10. Apr 20, 2013 at 10:48 PM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    I had no idea he is or was racing his tacoma.

Products Discussed in

To Top